The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

31 minutes ago, ml1dch said:
39 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

In the face of the predictions some of the remainders should be packing already ? 

I expect that some of them are. 

It just does not add up.  The amount of anti Brexit and remainers constantly saying it's going to be a disaster for everyone going forward is fine,  I understand the vote did not go the way they wanted.

What I don't get is if it is going to be such a disaster why are people going to inflict this on their children and so on in the future and just sit there and take it like good little citizens,  unless they don't really believe what they say or write ? (I am not explaining it very well, sorry).

It seems remainers will gladly tell you the ship is going to sink but not confident enough to get in a life raft and drift of into the sunset to pastures new?

Either its not going to be as bad as they say or they are all giving it the biggun but ultimately do F*** all about it.

4 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It seems remainers will gladly tell you the ship is going to sink but not confident enough to get in a life raft and drift of into the sunset to pastures new?

Perhaps they don't want to be forced out? Perhaps they intend to stay and make the best of it whatever happens?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Either its not going to be as bad as they say or they are all giving it the biggun but ultimately do F*** all about it.

I'm sorry, but that is totally daft.

People should just leave? Uproot kids, families, lose friendships, jobs? And if they don't they're 'giving it the bigg'un'?

And there's only a binary choice? Either it'll be okay or leave the country?

What?

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

It just does not add up.  The amount of anti Brexit and remainers constantly saying it's going to be a disaster for everyone going forward is fine,  I understand the vote did not go the way they wanted.

What I don't get is if it is going to be such a disaster why are people going to inflict this on their children and so on in the future and just sit there and take it like good little citizens,  unless they don't really believe what they say or write ? (I am not explaining it very well, sorry).

I don't want to move, and I shouldn't **** have to simply because it appears most of the residents I share this island with are thicker than 2 short planks. Besides which I'm not capable of it for various reasons that are nobody's business but mine.

I have absolutely no doubt Brexit is a disaster. And I will be amongst the group's hit hardest I suspect.

I'm not going to stop going on about it. That is something I can do. And what everyone else can do. I'm not sure we're quite at the point that armed rebellion would be possible or desirable.

Some people will obviously be different and do want to leave and have the means to do so. I daresay a few of those will have plans on action, others will await exactly what we end up getting from the negotiations.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Right now, we probably all have jobs and are settled where we are. Its a big step for many people just to up sticks with no prospects of work. My expertise is pretty specific and although I have transferable skills I don't have the languages to a degree useful enough to get a similar job in another country, I'm probably at the company that will pay me the most for what I do in the whole of Europe.

I would imagine the vast majority of hardline remainers have their own circumstances that keep them here, especially as the possibility still exists that the whole shit show might not happen

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Or, like me, you don't want to move back to mainland Europe right now because you don't know if you'll be allowed to stay after March 2019.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And there's only a binary choice? Either it'll be okay or leave the country?

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Perhaps they don't want to be forced out? Perhaps they intend to stay and make the best of it whatever happens?

Tbh it was what I thought was a pretty good question,  not that daft if there are 5 million unemployed in 4 or 5 years time but lets see.  At that point you wont be able to go anywhere anyway.

My point remains though,  if you are in a car that you are sure will crash,  you are leaning out the window telling everyone we are going to crash but still are curious about what injuries and what ICU looks like from a patient POV after the crash.

I am looking from the outside remember and I did just upticks in 3 months flat almost 20 years ago and leave England for good,  daft I maybe but I did something about it other than call people names on the internet and hoping something bad wont happen to my family:D

Not everyone can afford it, have the means to do it, leave friends and family etc. If it was that easy I think a lot more people would do it, it’s hardly the friendly government, generous local councils and the tropical weather keeping everyone from leaving here.

Im a single income nursing assistant. What hope have I got of moving abroad? I’m screwed either way. 

• Like 1

I would love to live abroad tbh. Britain is shit. Partner is swedish but she doesn't want to live back there :( Give it another year of the shit show negotiations and she might be persuaded, but even then, with a life here, it's not an easy decision in reality. Where to work, where to live etc.

38 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Tbh it was what I thought was a pretty good question,  not that daft if there are 5 million unemployed in 4 or 5 years time but lets see.  At that point you wont be able to go anywhere anyway.

My point remains though,  if you are in a car that you are sure will crash,  you are leaning out the window telling everyone we are going to crash but still are curious about what injuries and what ICU looks like from a patient POV after the crash.

I am looking from the outside remember and I did just upticks in 3 months flat almost 20 years ago and leave England for good,  daft I maybe but I did something about it other than call people names on the internet and hoping something bad wont happen to my family:D

Just because you did it, it doesn't mean that it is so easy or appropriate a solution for anyone/everyone else.

Add to that the uncertainty (contrary to the claims of politicians and others) surrounding the rights that people may or may not keep post Brexit (or even in the implementation/transition period) and they may need to consider things very carefully (more so than you would have needed to have done 20 years ago).

Also, who is to say that the grass will be greener if people were to upsticks and move to the Netherlands? It may well be that mainland Europe ends up suffering from other things (people attempting to rip up Schengen/dealing with the rise of nationalism) as well as also suffering a negative fall out from a shitty brexit and no-one's a winner.

Edited by snowychap

Even entertaining the thought that you should just leave if you're not happy with the result and impending disaster.

I upped and moved well before Brexit and I have no plans on coming back yet.

But when i want to come back, I want there to be a decent country to come back to.

I may not live there now but I still give a shit.

You don't stop caring just because you leave.

• Like 1

Should I have been looking to leave the country every time the Tories won a General Election?

It's a silly premise. As others have said.

The hope is that Brexit either doesn't happen, or is steered in the direction of doing as little harm as possible. That means staying about and applying pressure. People disagreeing with Brexit leaving en masse, before it's even happened, is nonsense, for a variety of reasons.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jon said:

Should I have been looking to leave the country every time the Tories won a General Election?

only if you posted on a football Forum that you would do so  , I believe then it's legally binding  :)

• Haha 2

Â