The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For those lucky few of you that have access to the Welsh section at the end of the BBC news, a classic tonight.

Welsh fishermen are seen as a group that voted for brexit. Said Welsh fish brexit gammon face type on the news tonight celebrating the wonderful opportunities once we get our fishing rights back and our own borders under our own control.

We then cut to some university type boffin, the sort with a thousand useless facts that's never done a proper day's work in his pampered life. He points out that the first guy is a shellfish fisherman, there are currently no licenses or restrictions on shellfish in that area, he can do what he likes already. Oh, and 90% of the Welsh shellfish catch is already exported, tariff free. To europe.

I hope his boat sinks.

I believe that the reason many welsh fishermen are shellfish fishermen is because they had to switch due to quotas , it’s possible this is what gammon man was referring to ?

something like a third of the fish landed in Wales comes from European boats , a new fishing policy presumably removes these quotas and pesky foreign boats ... as for the exports guess we’ll all be having Lobster for breakfast when the supermarket shelves are empty once the EU stop exporting to us :)

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I believe that the reason many welsh fishermen are shellfish fishermen is because they had to switch due to quotas , it’s possible this is what gammon man was referring to ?

something like a third of the fish landed in Wales comes from European boats , a new fishing policy presumably removes these quotas and pesky foreign boats ... as for the exports guess we’ll all be having Lobster for breakfast when the supermarket shelves are empty once the EU stop exporting to us :)

Yes, I believe that it's well documented that the UK decided at government level and at port level to sell about 40% of the licenses it was entitled to, to foreign ships and fishing companies.

I'd reckon the Spanish decided to keep theirs for Spanish fishermen. But that's just a hunch and I could be way off.

I'm sure that once our borders are under our control there will be more fish available for our boys. No way will we be selling licenses to the highest bidder just for money, no way will the EU stop us fishing on their side of the dotted line down the sea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welsh coast fish eh? So basically, in the North from the bowels of The Mersey taking in the Oil refinerys round Ellesmere Port (North Mordor) to the Nuclear Power plants round Wilfa and Trawsfynyth through the Irish Sea down to the Oil Refinerys by Milford and the loveliness round Port Talbot (South Mordor) and the toxic soup that is Swansea Bay all the way to Sunny Cardiff and Newport 20 miles or so away as the crow flies from the delights at Hinkcley point.

mmmmmmmm

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Welsh coast fish eh? So basically, in the North from the bowels of The Mersey taking in the Oil refinerys round Ellesmere Port (North Mordor) to the Nuclear Power plants round Wilfa and Trawsfynyth through the Irish Sea down to the Oil Refinerys by Milford and the loveliness round Port Talbot (South Mordor) and the toxic soup that is Swansea Bay all the way to Sunny Cardiff and Newport 20 miles or so away as the crow flies from the delights at Hinkcley point.

mmmmmmmm

I fail to see any concern with this 

tumblr_inline_omobjtViQI1rsnw92_540.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Presumably we had a representative on the Fisheries Commission at the EU who was regularly fighting for our best interests?  If so, why haven't they been held accountable?

"We have to leave the EU, British MEPs are always being outvoted which show that our aims are incompatible"

"Don't your MEPs always vote against every piece of legislation on principle, regardless of what it's about"

"...."

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Johnson's speech. Asked afterwards whether people are entitled to ask for clarity, he mishears and starts talking about the post-Brexit opportunities for organic carrots.

Strong stuff.

amazing

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

As will all the others to come. Nothing will be gained from them, despite all the buzzwords and repetition of 'very clear' and 'clarity' throughout.

I think we're approaching the endgame of this stuff though. When the end of March rolls around they will have to have a proposal of sorts. It'll be unworkable and incompetent (obvs), but I reckon that will trigger something from one side or the other to break the delusion.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ml1dch said:

I think we're approaching the endgame of this stuff though. When the end of March rolls around they will have to have a proposal of sorts. It'll be unworkable and incompetent (obvs), but I reckon that will trigger something from one side or the other to break the delusion.

I tend to agree with you on that and I think that's the bit of the Brexit vote a lot of people are missing. It's going to get worse before it gets better. And I'm not talking on a trade level but how far does it have to stoop before people have had enough and make some worthwhile positive changes to our own lives. It's always been the big political question for me. But seriously, We have a PM who has seems to be taking us towards an armed police force imo. We have huge economic uncertainty ahead, We have our grubby hands all over the warmongering in the middle east, Politicians who seem to be self serving on all sides of the house, Political parties no one actually agrees with but everyone votes for, Rising costs, falling services, we're facing a huge drop in employment rates over the next 20-30 years, all those office jobs that can be done by coding - There's a storm a brewing that goes far and above the Brexit issue in the short term.

Whether we have Tories/Labour/Liberals negotiating the deal with Brussels is so irrelevant it makes a mockery of our constitutional monarchy. And that's a part of the wider issue people have had enough of imo. That's what we're witnessing as the endgame for me.

• Like 1

The Dutch are hiring hundreds of new customs staff to cope with increased traffic following Brexit, anticipating a no deal/Canada deal result. There is a quote stating that if the Dutch need hundreds, we'll need thousands.

The Dutch appear to be better prepared than we are.

Not at all worrying. It'll all be fine. Bloody Remoaners. Scared of their own shadow.

The way the wind is blowing as of today: turns out you were wrong and it's actually not possible to both do your stupid idea and stick to the terms of the Good Friday Agreement?

Not a problem, announce that the Good Friday Agreement was rubbish and a failure anyway, so it's actually good news that this messes the whole thing up.

Problem solved. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ml1dch said:

The way the wind is blowing as of today: turns out you were wrong and it's actually not possible to both do your stupid idea and stick to the terms of the Good Friday Agreement?

Not a problem, announce that the Good Friday Agreement was rubbish and a failure anyway, so it's actually good news that this messes the whole thing up.

Problem solved. 

Luckily Michael Gove has thought that all along. 

Â