The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

Apparently the guvmint did an away day yesterday and decided what they want from Brexit.

It's all gone well. They've finally settled on a position of wanting to have all the good bits, but none of the bad bits.

I don't know why they didn't just say that in the first place...

• Haha 2

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/feb/23/post-brexit-customs-union-path-closed-says-jeremy-hunt

The government will not consider entering into a customs union with the EU after Brexit, Jeremy Hunt has insisted, setting up a Commons fight over the cabinet’s plans for leaving the bloc that could inflict a damaging defeat on the prime minister.

After one senior Brexiter emerged from eight hours of cabinet talks at Chequers on Thursday to say “divergence was the victor”, the health secretary spelled out the government’s line on Friday morning, saying the way to a customs union was now closed.

:bang::bang:

fecking idiots.  Can only assume Hunt is the ultimate masochist, not content with savouring all the criticism, and disgust for his NHS efforts,  let's really go hard for making our lives Brexit, really, needlessly complicated. Still, if your lives are never going to be touched regardless of either outcome, one presumes it's much easier to not give a shit

The aviation regulator is so against a hard Brexit (as it would just copy the European one we already use at needless cost and waste of time, or diverge from the European regulatory regime and make outright chaos) they've actually refused to do any prep towards it as the option is so stupid they don't want to make it appear at all viable.

Silly aviation regulator.

• Like 1

Over the weekend I was listening to a first-person theory from one of the foremost thinkers of our time on how this came about:

I saw myself as a concealed attraction
I felt you kept me away from the heat and the action
Just like a child, stubborn and misconceiving
That's how I started the show, one of us had to go

Spoiler

PB010119.jpg

...Sorry for herself, feeling stupid, feeling small
Wishing she had never left at all

So today seems like it might be interesting? I haven't been following too closely, but I understand Corbyn is planning to whip Labour to vote along with a Tory amendment to remain in the customs union. In which case, if my understanding is correct, then today is very much 'shit or get off the pot' for Tory 'rebel' darlings like Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen etc. Vote for a sane Brexit, or vote against Corbyn.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

So today seems like it might be interesting? I haven't been following too closely, but I understand Corbyn is planning to whip Labour to vote along with a Tory amendment to remain in the customs union. In which case, if my understanding is correct, then today is very much 'shit or get off the pot' for Tory 'rebel' darlings like Anna Soubry, Heidi Allen etc. Vote for a sane Brexit, or vote against Corbyn.

Not sure when the vote will be now (at the end)

The government has delayed a vote planned for this week on the Trade Bill, which could have seen pro-European Tory rebels joining forces with Labour to vote for an amendment keeping the UK in a customs union after Brexit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Vote against Corbyn, surely? This is the Tories we're talking about.

Looks like you're right, as we're seeing today:

'Stephen Hammond said it was too soon to say what he would do. On the Daily Politics, asked if he was willing to vote with Labour on this issue, he replied:

"This is a process. We are a long way from that yet."

He also described Corbyn’s speech as “vacuous”, and went on:

"If Jeremy Corbyn is the answer, the only question is how do you support UK jobs, and I won’t be doing anything to support that."

And a few hours later Jonathan Djanogly told BBC News that the customs union amendments (although NC5 is seen as the main one, there are others) were not necessarily intended to be put to a vote . . . And when pressed about whether he would vote with Labour, he replied:

"I have not said that a customs union of whatever sort is necessarily going to be something that I support."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/feb/26/brexit-tories-lash-out-at-corbyn-as-he-backs-staying-in-customs-union-with-eu-politics-live?page=with:block-5a942857e4b05c4378ef1507#block-5a942857e4b05c4378ef1507

Party before country, as usual. I guess I would expect nothing less. I just wish we'd hear less of them described in the media as heroic rebels standing up to the party whip. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Looks like you're right, as we're seeing today:

'Stephen Hammond said it was too soon to say what he would do. On the Daily Politics, asked if he was willing to vote with Labour on this issue, he replied:

"This is a process. We are a long way from that yet."

He also described Corbyn’s speech as “vacuous”, and went on:

"If Jeremy Corbyn is the answer, the only question is how do you support UK jobs, and I won’t be doing anything to support that."

And a few hours later Jonathan Djanogly told BBC News that the customs union amendments (although NC5 is seen as the main one, there are others) were not necessarily intended to be put to a vote . . . And when pressed about whether he would vote with Labour, he replied:

"I have not said that a customs union of whatever sort is necessarily going to be something that I support."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2018/feb/26/brexit-tories-lash-out-at-corbyn-as-he-backs-staying-in-customs-union-with-eu-politics-live?page=with:block-5a942857e4b05c4378ef1507#block-5a942857e4b05c4378ef1507

Party before country, as usual. I guess I would expect nothing less. I just wish we'd hear less of them described in the media as heroic rebels standing up to the party whip. 

Shocked, I tell you, shocked.

Though in fairness Corbyn's speech hardly won me over either.

Then again the only speech that would win me over would start with 'Look, this is **** stupid, Brexit's cancelled' and end with a call to bring stocks for the morons that demand it.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It’s kinda laughable that not voting with Jeremy Corbyn’s have your cake and eat it idea is putting party before country 

I'm glad to cause some mirth!

But actually the amendment is their own, rather than Corbyn's. And at the end of the day, you either believe that we need to be in a customs union or you don't, and they keep saying they do, so. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Tories seek legal advice on vote after Jeremy Corbyn backs customs union

Conservative MPs have sought legal advice about the prospect of Theresa May losing a parliamentary vote on a post-Brexit customs union as Jeremy Corbyn made clear that it had now the support of Labour, the Guardian understands.

The opposition leader attempted to outflank the Conservatives with the business community by promising to place such an arrangement firmly on the table in a speech on Monday that won the cautious backing of industry representatives.

Corbyn’s suggestion that Labour would pursue “a new, comprehensive UK-EU customs union” after Brexit was praised by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and the Institute of Directors (IoD), as well as the former Conservative chancellor George Osborne. He claimed the Tories had offered Labour an “open goal” by making no customs union a red line and Corbyn had “just kicked the ball into the back of it”.

The development places May on a collision course with a number of her remain-supporting backbenchers, whose amendment to the trade bill calling for the government to pursue a customs union will now have the backing of the entire Labour party.

The government has already moved to delay the vote until after May’s local election because of fears that it cannot be won.

And now, in a sign of further concern about the impact of a defeat, senior Brexit Tory MPs have sought advice on whether the amendment is legally binding to assess whether May could accept it without having to fulfil its demands.

Other MPs, who previously backed remain, are expecting May to shift her position slightly in a speech on Friday laying out the UK’s opening gambit in negotiations for a future trade deal.

A message from one lawyer suggested that the wording – which calls for it to be a government “objective” to ensure Britain can participate in a customs union after leaving the EU – is sufficiently vague. They said the prime minister could accept it but then argue that the outcome was not achievable in negotiations.

...more on link

Â