The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-citizenship-keep-freedom-of-movement-guy-verhofstadt-chief-negotiator-opt-in-passports-a7465271.html

EU negotiators will offer Brits an individual opt-in to remain EU citizens, chief negotiator confirms

Exclusive: Guy Verhofstadt has fast-tracked the plan and will include it in his mandate

facebook.png  
  twitter.png  

email.png  
  blank.gif  
Click to follow
Indy Politics
guy-verhofstadt.jpg Guy Verhofstadt, the European Parliament's chief negotiator Getty

EU negotiators will offer British people the chance to individually opt-in and remain EU citizens as a proposal in Brexit negotiations, the European Parliament’s chief negotiator has confirmed.

The plan, first revealed in its early stages by The Independent last month, was being considered as a long-term aim by the European Parliament – but has now been fast-tracked to the negotiating table by Guy Verhofstadt, who is in charge of thrashing out a post-Brexit deal.

Mr Verhofstadt said the “very important” proposal had “captured the imagination and hopes” of many British people who wished to retain their rights as EU citizens and would be in his negotiating mandate.

The plan would see Brits offered individual “associate citizenship”, letting them keep free movement to live and work across the EU, as well as a vote in European Parliament elections.

The proposal could potentially give Brits who live and work across borders a workaround to the disruption caused by the Leave vote – and young people looking to flee an increasingly isolated UK greater choice over where to move to.

Depending on the approach taken by EU negotiators, the idea would likely be subject to approval by the British government.

Mr Verhofstadt is drawing up a report with the European Parliament’s Committee on constitutional affairs about proposed long-term changes to the EU’s structure. The plan was originally proposed by liberal MP Charles Goerens for inclusion in the report, but will now bypass that process and be taken forward independently.

0:00
/
0:24

Brexit Secretary fails to keep a straight face about 'always intending' to publish Brexit plans

The chief negotiator told the committee’s members: “We come to the vote of this important amendment 882, tabled by colleague Charles Goerens. It is an important amendment that has captured the imagination and hopes of many of the 48 per cent of Brits that have voted to remain in the EU.  You will all have received many emails about this - and there has been many articles about this.

“It has therefore become a very important issue that cannot await treaty change - as envisaged by Charles when he first tabled it.

“I am therefore proposing to remove it from my report - which after all is concerned with Treaty change - and to include it in the negotiations we will have with the UK government. I as Brexit negotiator for the Parliament will ensure that it is included in the parliament’s negotiating mandate.”

In a statement, Mr Goerens said: “Today I decided together with Guy Verhofstadt to withdraw my amendment on Associate EU citizenship. We realised that this has become a very important issue that cannot await treaty change – as was my intention when I first tabled my amendment – since this might take years.

“Yesterday evening, the House of Commons decided by a majority of almost 400 to support Theresa Mays plan to trigger article 50 by the end of March 2017. Hence the prospect that this Article 50 will be invoked has become very real indeed.

gettyimages-450549392.jpg
The offer could provide a solution to the disruption Brexit will cause British people who work or have family in other parts of the European Union (AFP/Getty Images)

“The European Parliament will define its position on the Brexit agreement through a resolution during spring 2017. This seems to be the best opportunity to give Brexit negotiator Guy Verhofstadt the possibility to enforce the Associate EU Citizenship.

“I recognise this might come as a surprise to many of you, but please understand that the abovementioned procedure makes it much more likely for the Associate EU Citizenship to succeed than through an amendment.”

Brexit Concerns

Lib Dem MEP Catherine Bearder said: “The option of being able to retain EU citizenship offers a glimmer of hope for the millions of British people devastated by the referendum result.

“The fact this proposal is going ahead shows there remains a huge amount of goodwill towards Britain, despite the actions of this Conservative Brexit government.

“Everyone who supports this should write to MEPs and tell them how passionately they feel about maintaining their rights as EU citizens, including the ability to live, study and work abroad."

In its original form the amendment suggested the provision of “European associate citizenship for those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former Member State; offers these associate citizens the rights of freedom of movement and to reside on its territory as well as being represented in the Parliament through a vote in the European elections on the European lists”.

Though the British Government has been coy on what it wants Britain’s post-Brexit future to look like, it is likely that British citizens will lose the automatic right to live and work in the EU after Brexit.

This is because Prime Minister Theresa May has made clear that she would like to restrict freedom of movement from EU countries to the UK, a policy that would likely be reciprocated by the EU for British citizens.

Mr Verhofstadt is one of two chief negotiators representing different pillars of the European Union. He represents the Parliament, while former commissioner Michel Barnier represents the Commission. Belgian diplomat Didier Seeuws will coordinate the European Council’s negotiating position on behalf of the leaders of other EU states.

The House of Commons this week approved a motion calling for Ms May to reveal the Government’s negotiating position on Brexit before triggering Article 50. It also locked in the timetable of triggering the treaty clause – and starting negotiations – before the end of March 2017.  

• Like 1

In fairness, if a government official working on Brexit suggested this, they'd be crucified, it's about as close to having your cake and eating it as we could possibly get. I'm curious to see what the EU want in exchange, they're not going to let UK citizens opt in to EU citizenship without the UK offering something for EU citizens in exchange, surely.

If it was a yearly opt in for say (arbitrary figure) £50, I would do it and I imagine millions of others would too and EU gets millions of euros in return, Brexiteers happy.

It seems too good to be true.

• Like 1

If that happens, and I'd be astounded if it did, any bets on how long it takes for 'the traitors list' to leak?

And given who we've got in No.10, how long until anyone on that list is given as short a shrift in the rhetoric as immigrants? 

;)

Edited by Chindie

Call me young, impressionable, naive but being European is my identity just as much as being British or english is.

The opportunity to keep that part of me would be nice, and that's not even mentioning free movement.

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Call me young, impressionable, naive but being European is my identity just as much as being British or english is.

The opportunity to keep that part of me would be nice, and that's not even mentioning free movement.

I know I bore on about the countries I've lived in, but I'm with you (although not young!) in that I see myself as European. I refer to myself as British when travelling. I rarely say I'm English.  It feels too specific for me.  Not sure why.

• Like 1

I would jump at that opportunity. Seems a bit having the cake and eating as mentioned, but **** it, I'd take it in a heartbeat. It's the kind of proposal that you can imagining outraging certain elements, even though I don't see how an individual choosing to retain associate membership "betrays" ( gosh what a childish word )  the UK. Those wanting brexit still get it. It would look awfully mean spirited and oppressive for people wanting to deny people an opportunity to exercise their own desires, despite it having no consequence for them themselves. 

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Democracy, widely considered the best system still presents the possibility 49.99999999999999999% being disappointed.  Giving everyone individually what they want sounds better to me.

that's why having no super majority set before was stupid.

less than a 2% swing is not a mandate for the harshest of brexits.

imagine if it was 52-48 the other way and went full schengen/euro!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

that's why having no super majority set before was stupid.

less than a 2% swing is not a mandate for the harshest of brexits.

imagine if it was 52-48 the other way and went full schengen/euro!?

as none of the 48 would be unwashed people with beaded hair I suspect nothing

Imagine a solution that suits all sides.

Those who want an open and inclusive Europe can have a pass for all the countries that constitute Europe.  Those that want an enclave where no Europeans, or remain voters, or traitors (no substantive difference between these categories) could have their own area, with hard boundaries.  St Kilda, for example.

• Like 3

It's an interesting idea but several obvious problems spring to mind:

1) The EU is not yet a single country, so what entity does one become a citizen of? 

2) Taxation. If the EU introduces direct taxation of citizens at some point (not unlikely) those would those need to paid in addition to UK taxes (presumably they would) and how would they be administered/collected? 

3) Law. A British citizen who was also an "EU citizen" would wish to have ultimate recourse to the European Courts if involved in a legal dispute with the British State, but European law would have no effect within the UK.

4) Military service. Could a hyphenated Brit serve in the EU armed forces (the push for an EU army is underway)?

Seems like a recipe for potential legal chaos, but if they can find a compromise (e.g. the status of EU citizen only has legal effect once an individual is leaves the territory of the UK) then maybe it's do-able - and would certainly mollify many of those Brits who are so attached to their EU identity. 

Edited by Awol

Dig a little deeper. Don't just look at the headlines. Go on.

It involves one of our most brilliant innovative tech companies of the last 30 odd years being bought out by a foreign buyers.

The process being bankrolled by different country, terrified that the arse is going to fall out its existing massive investment in the UK.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

Dig a little deeper. Don't just look at the headlines. Go on.

It involves one of our most brilliant innovative tech companies of the last 30 odd years being bought out by a foreign buyers.

The process being bankrolled by different country, terrified that the arse is going to fall out its existing massive investment in the UK.

SoftBank bought out ARM Holdings (because the shareholders were happy to sell) in June/July time and Saudi is in a JV with SoftBank for the tech fund.

So what exactly are they terrified of? 

Â