The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

4 minutes ago, Folski said:

What's the general consensus on Farage in the UK?

I dislike much of what I know about Farage but I will admit that taking the VillaTalk referendum poll in to account, VillaTalk may not be the most balanced place to ask the above question.

13 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The UK buy 95 Billion Euro's worth of German goods a year,  France 35 Billion.  They wont kiss this goodbye and they would be mad to consider it.

Dat is heel veel geld toch ? Ik ben betje bang voor de toekomst maar wie zullen zien.  

Aaaaaggghhh.  They don't LOSE our trade,  their goods just become a little more expensive to us.  A lot of German stuff is (incorrectly because of good branding) seen as premium. 10% on an audi or Beemer will reduce sales but not kill them because people are willing to pay a premium already. Also there is a MASSIVE amount of production machinery the UK manufacturing industry relies on which can ONLY be bought in Germany which will now cost our companies more to buy service and maintain reducing our competivity. 

Also what we make here,  and regardless of what the press leave you to think we still do make an awful lot of stuff here relies on a global (and very European) supply chain so we have to buy massive amounts of raw materials and components as disadvantaged   prices and then try to sell the end product at massively disadvantaged prices which is a disaster

Who gains the most if our manufacturing base declines? 

And don't listen to Bamford at JCB they are one of the few large British manufacturerers who sell the majority of their machinery outside of the UK or EU. 

People are WELL over playing the they need us more than we need them card. The truth is we need them FAR more than they need us and unless we are utter maniacs (Farage style) we blimmin well better blink first or we are on the road to oblivion. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Folski said:

What's the general consensus on Farage in the UK?

Popular with all sorts of people. Like the webbed footed and fans of the monarchy.

7 hours ago, Xann said:

Popular with all sorts of people. Like the webbed footed and fans of the monarchy.

Who suck up a load of our money whilst also generating a load of money and none of this by gambling with the entire future of the nation and my kids future.  Also they are not facilitating racism...... Err .. OK Exept for Philip. 

EU Trade Commissioner: No trade talks until full Brexit

The European Union's top trade official says the UK cannot begin negotiating terms for doing business with the bloc until after it has left.

"First you exit then you negotiate," Cecilia Malmstrom told BBC Newsnight.

After Brexit, the UK would become a "third country" in EU terms, she said - meaning trade would be carried out based on World Trade Organisation rules until a new deal was complete.

A recent trade deal with Canada took seven years to negotiate.

The Canadian agreement will also require ratification by all EU countries, adding another one to two years before it takes effect.

WTO rules restrict the circumstances in which countries discriminate in favour of each other in trade. Otherwise, they must apply to each other the tariffs they apply against the rest of the world.

Ms Malmstrom, the EU Trade Commissioner, underlined that detailed talks to shape the UK's new trading relationship with the EU should not start until after the process of leaving politically, under an Article 50 process lasting up to two years.

"There are actually two negotiations. First you exit, and then you negotiate the new relationship, whatever that is," she said.

"The referendum - which of course we take note of and respect - has no legal effect. First there has to be notification, which the next prime minister will do, I hope swiftly. And then that process can start."

There is concern in the City that having to do business for years under WTO rules could be disastrous for the UK's service industries.

Asked whether sticking to such a process wouldn't harm the economies of all EU members, Ms Malmstrom replied: "Yes, but the vote was very clear."

She said she was "saddened" that the UK - which has traditionally defended the principle of free trade - is leaving the EU.

Fearsome challenge

Under EU law, the bloc cannot negotiate a separate trade deal with one of its own members, hence the commissioner's insistence that the UK must first leave.

It is also against EU law for a member to negotiate its own trade deals with outsiders, which means the UK cannot start doing this until after it has left the EU.

Taken at face value, these rules mean the UK cannot conduct its own trade talks for up to two years - a fearsome challenge to any prime minister trying to deliver Brexit.

EU officials say the UK's options will soon refine themselves into a Norway-style package that keeps Britain within the single market - subject to EU rules and regulations - or a bespoke "third country" deal on the pattern of Canada's.

They agree that because British businesses are already compliant with EU rules and regulations, choosing to remain within the single market would be "a little quicker", than negotiating a deal like Canada's.

But even a Norway-style single market access deal, they caution, could take years to negotiate, leaving the UK trading on WTO terms in the meantime.

10 hours ago, V01 said:

Farage has published his plan for Brexit

http://thebrexitplan.com/

Highlighted policy topics include:

• UK access to the EU marketplace
  • International trade agreements to go in place of EU trade agreements
  • Rights of EU nationals working in the UK
  • Status change for Brits living in other EU member countries
  • New UK health and safety standards to go in place of EU policy
  • Foreign direct investment in the UK, and EU financial services
  • UK access to international security intelligence
  • Potential second referendum on Scottish Independence

More on the link.

Thats brilliant :crylaugh:

33 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Everything will be fine! They're gagging for British business, gagging for it. And even if it goes wrong, the pound will be worth less than a handful of gravel, exports will rake it in! It's Absolutely Going to be OK.

Honest.

There an interesting philosophical question here. What is and isn't insane in this situation? Bin the referendum and half the country hates you but the economy isn't strangled. Go with half the country and submit to a grim few years at least that could cause irrecoverable damage.

Nuts.

• Like 1

Typically the Leave campaign has no plan and when they try to formulate one they end up making gross mis-calculations. Clearly the whole point in being in a club if that you reap the sort of benefits that outsiders do not. If you leave the club then you are likely to be punished so to make an example in the event that other members want to leave.

The Leave project is a total farce, utterly clueless, at this stage, since the referendum is not legally binding, it would be rational to simple bin the 'decision'.

Are the EU too intransigent to consider amendment of just one of their numerous founding principles? Perhaps they might realise the current and impending further instability of the EU is more self destructive than change.

7 minutes ago, brommy said:

Are the EU too intransigent to consider amendment of just one of their numerous founding principles? Perhaps they might realise the current and impending further instability of the EU is more self destructive than change.

We can take heart from the fact that Realpolitik is a German word.

This was posted on my Facebook today:

" Today we shall remember the bloodiest day in Britain's history of war ..... Thousands upon thousands of young soldiers jumped over the top on to no mans land and was shot down at the battle of Somme! So many of them was under 25 and never came home! They died so that we could have freedom! Only one of the many reasons I voted out! I love my country"

"You voted out because of the Somme?"

"Yes one of many reasons"

"Was the Somme about leaving the EU then?"

"It was to fight for our freedom"

"The same freedom that led to the great depression and World War 2?"

"It was one of many reasons"

While not factually correct on my part, yet another person on Facebook who has no real idea of what they have voted for or why. 

• Like 2

I don't think the Leavers have the monopoly on idiotic thought processes. For example, my wife recently spoke to a clothes shop assistant who freely admitted she voted to 'Remain in Europe' because she didn't want to be part of something else 'like Africa'. A genuine quote!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, brommy said:

I don't think the Leavers have the monopoly on idiotic thought processes. For example, my wife recently spoke to a clothes shop assistant who freely admitted she voted to 'Remain in Europe' because she didn't want to be part of something else 'like Africa'. A genuine quote!

I know people who voted Remain because they thought all the Nando's in the UK would shut down and that Mars would stop selling chocolate here.

My Scottish vegan cousin voted out because she didn't like the way the EU exports live animals.

She's getting slaughtered on FB. From Scots and other vegans, who have pointed out that Europe treats livestock better than the majority of the World.

Oops. Didn't dig deep enough.

Â