The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the joke thread, but the debate here has its share of humor so here it is.  This little snippet comes from and article in the Grauniad:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/16/mood-ugly-mp-dead-jo-cox

"At a ward meeting this week my local Labour councillor in Camden, north London, showed us a sign that had been left on a member’s car windscreen. The car had a remain poster on it and was parked round the corner from where I live. This is what the message said, printed in capitals (I’ve left the original spelling): “This is a lave [leave] area. We hate the foriner. Nex time do not park your car with remain sign on. Hi Hitler. White Power” – accompanied by racist symbols. The car’s owner had passed it on to the police."

The idea of a fully fledged white power Nazi throwing the salute and thinking that everyone is yelling "Hi Hitler" is comedy gold for me.  I'd love the chance to explain to the moron that it is a shortened version of the full German salute "Hi De Hi Hitler" and getting him to sound proper camp at the next Fascist bake meet or whatever they do.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Straggler said:

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the joke thread, but the debate here has its share of humor so here it is.  This little snippet comes from and article in the Grauniad:

"At a ward meeting this week my local Labour councillor in Camden, north London, showed us a sign that had been left on a member’s car windscreen. The car had a remain poster on it and was parked round the corner from where I live. This is what the message said, printed in capitals (I’ve left the original spelling): “This is a lave [leave] area. We hate the foriner. Nex time do not park your car with remain sign on. Hi Hitler. White Power” – accompanied by racist symbols. The car’s owner had passed it on to the police."

The idea of a fully fledged white power Nazi throwing the salute and thinking that everyone is yelling "Hi Hitler" is comedy gold for me.  I'd love the chance to explain to the moron that it is a shortened version of the full German salute "Hi De Hi Hitler" and getting him to sound proper camp at the next Fascist bake meet or whatever they do.

Smacks of an ironic notice left by a satirist rather than a true right wing headbanger to be honest. Most are guilty of "there, their, they're" and "are country" mistakes. Plus also the whole zero facts in every rant, but that's a given.

18 minutes ago, Straggler said:

the image of this note was doing the rounds 2 weeks ago on Facebook ... so either there is a serial Hi Hitler note writer or it's as fabricated as Stewart Lee driving around with his granddad 5 years before he was born seeing racist Tory placards 

9 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have to say that it does seem to be a call for tolerance for everyone but rich Jews.

I'm pretty intolerant of the mega-rich. I don't give a toss which superstition they follow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

the image of this note was doing the rounds 2 weeks ago on Facebook ... so either there is a serial Hi Hitler note writer or it's as fabricated as Stewart Lee driving around with his granddad 5 years before he was born seeing racist Tory placards 

Aww, don't spoil it for me, I had been chuckling about that all morning.  If only there were comments on that article in the Guardian I could point that out to the journo too.

I wonder if the mods would consider putting the poll back up? Giving the massive swing there has been in opinion throughout this it would be good to see how people vote up to the day of the referendum...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I wonder if the mods would consider putting the poll back up? Giving the massive swing there has been in opinion throughout this it would be good to see how people vote up to the day of the referendum...

Or you could create a new one?

13 minutes ago, limpid said:

Or you could create a new one?

I didn't know if that would be allowed as we have already had one that then ended and I wouldn't want to duplicate this debate.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

You're misrepresenting what Stewart Lee says in that video, to be fair to him.

He says his grandfather was driving him around when he was four, making racist comments, and that fairly recently (and less than a decade is recently, I'd say), the tories had been campaigning using that awful slogan. It's a throw away comment that he happened to be in the same place as where that by election was, he doesn't claim those signs were up in his lifetime.

10 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I didn't know if that would be allowed as we have already had one that then ended and I wouldn't want to duplicate this debate.

Genuine question, when you click "start new topic" and click Poll, do you get these options? The one lower right would seem to cover this scenario, but either way, the mods would rather tidy up than be asked to do extra work which others can do.

If you aren't happy after you've created it, report it and say what's wrong.

Screenshot_20160617_152955.png

A straw poll from the floor in my office suggests that about 80% will vote to leave.

Surprised really as a lot of the leave voters are the young members of staff. I kind of expect it from the older, financially settled people but not the ones starting out in their career

9 minutes ago, Xela said:

A straw poll from the floor in my office suggests that about 80% will vote to leave.

Surprised really as a lot of the leave voters are the young members of staff. I kind of expect it from the older, financially settled people but not the ones starting out in their career

What kind of work?

In my office of about 20 people (mostly late twenties through to early 40s, IT professionals), there's only one guy who says he's voting leave.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What kind of work?

In my office of about 20 people (mostly late twenties through to early 40s, IT professionals), there's only one guy who says he's voting leave.

Banking.

Which is surprising as you would assume banking professionals would be in the remain camp. 

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Banking.

Which is surprising as you would assume banking professionals would be in the remain camp. 

the way they've been "manipulating" the markets lately on this  I suspect they will all change votes at least 3 more times before the 23rd :) 

Â