Ratings and Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Defence was brilliant, solid and organised. Midfield was energetic, solid and quite creative. Forwards ..... what forwards ?

Great performance, full of effort but no forward threat. I said it last week and I'll say it again, we COULD do this if we invest in one or even two strikers.

Getting harder to beat (although they are shite) but we so so clueless going forward.  The quality of shooting and crossing from the likes of Bacuna and Gana was beyond bad.  Why do they not work on this in training - it never seems to improve!

Please please please please buy a decent striker before it is too late - Gestede's hamstring might push them. 

2pts lost

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

5 games without defeat. A couple of clean sheets in there too. We are only a decent goal scorer away from saving our PL status. We can't give up yet.

Absolutely THIS !!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

"Do well to win the ball, work it around, get into position to do something good, pass it back 20 yards, throw opportunity directly into trash bin", the game.

That's not the problem at all. Keeping possession is fine, we created opportunities. The lack of a top flight level striker once again cost us and will likely cost us our top flight status.

• Like 3

Tony Pulis sets up teams to be difficult to break down. We have problems breaking teams down. Is it any surprise that we looked ineffective?

Only one team wanted to win that. I'm happier with the effort and desire today, but we were let down by a lack of attacking quality. SAome of it was a problem of our own making, though - we're still too slow to support attacking players and the off-the-ball movement is still awful. Set pieces were poor until Veretout came on, and we desperately need more attacking options. Our bench is simply not strong enough. That said, I thought we looked good in defence during the few brief moments that West Brom did attempt to actually play football. Okore was generally solid and Lescott had a good game.

It's easy to look at today's match and think it's one we should have won, but West Brom's only aim for the match was to prevent exactly that. They had 4 attempts, none on target, at home against the bottom club. That's something. Unfortunately it's not three points, and in the long-run that's the only thing that matters.

Just now, srsmithusa said:

Everything but the Adebayor part is spot on.

I was struggling to think of another proven goalscorer who might sign for us.  I think he'd have been on the end of Gil's cross about a yard out.

There's probably someone more suitable, but it's 9am over here and I've been up half the night with the nipper so I'm struggling!

• Like 2

Just now, briny_ear said:

I think that helps to start clearing up the debate (if there ever was one) about whether the players are not trying hard enough or just not good enough. 

They tried very hard today.

So...

And got a draw ?  Not sure that shows they are no good ?

Good performance for me, well done players and Garde.  Looking fitter by the week too, much stronger at the end than Baggies.   Can't see a difference in quality between those two sides at all.

I think the main group of disappointed fans will be those who for some strange reason think we have a chance of staying up....I'm afraid we lost that cause much earlier in the season.  All that matters now is whether Garde can keep improving himself, and the Team.  Whatever the circumstances of each game, I think 5 unbeaten is a good sign.

• Like 2

Ball in net is what's missing. If we had a striker worth their salt I honestly believe we would stay up. 

If we don't get an above average striker in then this improved work rate is all for nothing.

You can see the improvement though and current results are encouraging but we just don't have enough about us up front.

No striker and it's relegation. Simple as that really.

• Like 1

Just now, Woodytom said:

Another example why this club does Not have the mentality to win the 2/3 games on the bounce that is needed. 

Genuine question - what showed you we lack a mentality to do that ?  I thought we lacked the firepower myself.

What an awful game of football. Albion are dreadful, and we wouldn't have scored if we played all night. Why we didn't go two up front, I'll never know?! Nailed on last game on MOTD.

• Like 1