Ratings and Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

I think we may well have seen two of the teams to be relegated this season here today.

For us there were some positives. the defense looked better and more organised, the team are fighting for the ball more and tracking back better (well they hardly used to at all). some individuals look to have promise albeit they will have to show it off in the championship next year, or go elsewhere.

however, nobody on the wings trying to take on the full backs, too many sideways balls, no attacking force, nobody making runs.

At this stage and in the position we are in just not good enough. 

Lescott was a beast, Westwood was OK, Bacuna had a bad game,  Veretout made a difference when he came on. Bunn was solid , Okore was a bit Dodge on the ball , the rest were just about OK but upfront we are clueless, Ayew is playing miles away from Kozak and we have midfielder running through , that's it for me unless we get a proven striker or get very lucky in gambling on bringing In a forward were down without a fight .UTV 

We will struggle to find a top striker but there must be someone better than what we have - I know work permits are a problem for us but

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

Another example why this club does not have the mentality to win the 2/3 games on the bounce that is needed. 

Mentality is not the problem, ability is!!!!

Edited by Gary Thomas

Bunn 6: Solid enough despite a couple of errors worthy of Guzan
Okore 6: Did ok, despite some stupid fouls
Lescott 7: Decent and assured for most of the match
Richards 5: Wins a lot of headers, drives forward well but never crosses or attempts the overlap, it's like he's trying not to play like a right back on purpose. Still making mistakes.
Bacuna 4: Please stop playing him in midfield, he offers nothing nowadays and his crossing is pub football standard. He should never replace Vertout again!
Cissokho 5: Defensively ok but still quite slow and ponderous and never crosses
Gil 7: His best performance in ages
Westwood 5: Rarely affects the game in any way good or bad
Gana 6: One of his better games I thought
Ayew 4: Has regressed massively in recent games and he looked sullen, frustrated and lacking in guile or effort today
Kozak 4: Aside from a couple of headers he has been mostly awful, doesn't look like he has any goals in him

Subs:
Gestede 6: Looked a threat then got injured
Vertout: Too little time on the pitch to rate

Ref 4: Just awful on all fronts, crucial penalty not given to us

MOM: Gary Birtle 

We were the better team, yet still awful. Garde needed to bring on Gestede for Bacuna and go for it, he also needed to bring off Ayew for Sinclair even if Sinclair has been useless of late.

If Gestede is injured, I don't see where the goals will come from if we are refusing to sign players. Kozak clearly can't do much and now Ayew is off the boil.

Garde has always said he wants to build from the back and he is now doing that with the run we are on.

Unfortunately it is not enough as we need to start putting away our chances.

We don't need one Striker we need 2 and if Gestede has pulled his hamstring he will be out for at least 4 weeks.

It's sad that both Strikers we could have bought in the summer have both scored today (Austin & Afobe).

I'm looking forward to the rebuilding in the Championship but am not sure we will bounce straight back up

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Genuine question - what showed you we lack a mentality to do that ?  I thought we lacked the firepower myself.

Without doubt we could/should have better quality players however, the players are good enough to score a goal or 2. They just don't have the ruthlessness. Which is down to mentality.

Ppl are talking about 5 games unbeaten. Yes it's an improvement. 2 games were against wycombe and nobody can argue that the other 3 were against teams who just weren't at the races.

We've been so shite that it seems a positive that we've drawn a boring 0-0 with an utterly dire West Brom.  It's not. 

Westwood had a good game today. Covered back well to help Cissokho, in general spread the play well when needed and played some nice through balls and crosses. Just a pity we have no one to get on the end of them

• Like 1

Newcastle lost, Sunderland drew, we are not any worse off than we started (Bar a Swansea win), it seems everything that can go against us just is though. Gestede starts causing problems, gets injured, we don't get ref decisions etc. Alot more fight about the team, we still lack certain movement though. See Gil make probing runs only for no one to be there, wasted shots etc. We are much better though, and as everyone said, if we had a cutting edge. If only Remi had us from the beginning of the season we more than likely would be having a different conversation, still have not given up just yet.:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

We will struggle to find a top striker but there must be someone better than what we have - I know work permits are a problem for us but

Mentality is not the problem, ability is!!!!

Leicester DO NOT have that big a difference in terms of ability.

They DO have that big a difference in terms of mentality.

• Like 1

I fear it's to little to late.

Veretout should have started if not injured andBakuna should not play in midfield.

That was by far the most frustrating match I've seen in quite a while which is an improvement on just accepting defeat.

• Like 1

A draw at WBA is not a bad result. Unfortunately drawing is basically the same as losing for us in our current position.

Still, haven't lost in a while and there are encouraging signs. We are suddenly a tricky team to play

• Like 1