Ratings and Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Although not a win today and I am as frustrated as the next man, you can see the improvement out there. Before January we'd have lost that game! Real shame cos we are a striker short from being a mid-table team, you can clearly see that. We can live with teams outside the top six now we just can't score. Gana, Lescott, Westwood and Gil were the stand out performers today for me, against a poor Albion team it has to be said. Penalty for me! The guy next to me said it looked soft but if these decisions were on the half way line you'd get them every time - think refs are just scared to give them unless completely clear cut. Wish the board would just sanction a loan fee for a decent striker!

6 minutes ago, lmarsha_926 said:

West Brom are some how 5th in the form guide at home playing football like that

Its pulis isn't it though, how many 1-0 wins do they get under him, it's shit football and the few wba fans I know are fed up with him.

also, they signed that ideye brown bloke and flogged him on at a big loss, them signed rondon for a big fee who looks as shit as brown was. 

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

You are aware that you sort of made his point, there, right?

No. 

I'm not moaning because it was a dire West Brom with whom we drew 0-0. I'm stating that it was and with that in mind, I don't think the positives are worth reading too much into.

I'm not upset by it. I'm not suicidal. I'm not even that bothered tbh. Just stating what a believe to be the truth.

Well it's not just a striker we need. It's not like we created loads of chances for our striker (or strikers - not sure if we were supposed to be playing one or two) and loads of chances went begging. The system we play under Garde seems very conservative, maybe more about keeping possession than creating scoring chances and it's my belief we will never start scoring enough goals until we change those tactics. Can't see a decent striker wanting to come here until we play better attacking football.

4 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Well it's not just a striker we need. It's not like we created loads of chances for our striker (or strikers - not sure if we were supposed to be playing one or two) and loads of chances went begging. The system we play under Garde seems very conservative, maybe more about keeping possession than creating scoring chances and it's my belief we will never start scoring enough goals until we change those tactics. Can't see a decent striker wanting to come here until we play better attacking football.

It's more than that though.

A good striker would help us to create chances. So many times the ball today went to Kozak or Gestede and just bounced off them to the opposition. A good striker would hold it up and bring others into the game.

A good striker would have some movement and give people stuff to aim at. Again so many times today Gil or Westwood had the ball and had nobody ahead of them to pass to.

We don't just need a good striker to put away chances, we need a good striker to contribute to our overall play. I honestly think it would make a world of difference.

If we'd had Christian Benteke up front today we'd have won that game comfortably.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I'm not so sure, playing possession football is no bad thing and we have the clean sheets to prove that Garde has managed to organise us better. I think a Bent type price paid for someone in Jan would make a big difference to our results. Not enough to save us as we are too far gone, but it would have meant 3 points today. I'd take controlling a game and winning 1-0 over playing open attacking football and getting bummed every week.

6 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Thing is though it's off the back of a draw that could easily have been a win (after we were lucky first half granted) against a Leicester side who are top after spanking the shit out of a good Stoke side, which was after we beat Palace and deservedly so. It's not like we scraped a 0-0 with a poor Pulis side and that's it. The positives have been on display for at least 210 mins out of the last 270. We are still down, no doubt about it, but the positives are that Garde even in this shithouse situation has managed to get a team spirit, a way of playing which isn't just smack it up the park and hope together and some points. It's not much but with respect to the last few months of the most abject miserable rubbish for a long long time it's a breath of (relatively) fresh air.

Fair points that I can't disagree with. 

No. 

I'm not moaning because it was a dire West Brom with whom we drew 0-0. I'm stating that it was and with that in mind, I don't think the positives are worth reading too much into.

I'm not upset by it. I'm not suicidal. I'm not even that bothered tbh. Just stating what a believe to be the truth.

Thing is though it's off the back of a draw that could easily have been a win (after we were lucky first half granted) against a Leicester side who are top after spanking the shit out of a good Stoke side, which was after we beat Palace and deservedly so. It's not like we scraped a 0-0 with a poor Pulis side and that's it. The positives have been on display for at least 210 mins out of the last 270. We are still down, no doubt about it, but the positives are that Garde even in this shithouse situation has managed to get a team spirit, a way of playing which isn't just smack it up the park and hope together and some points. It's not much but with respect to the last few months of the most abject miserable rubbish for a long long time it's a breath of (relatively) fresh air.

Love this post [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106]

32 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Spot on. There has been a good reaction since the abject first Wycombe game.

WBA have to be the most boring team to watch I've ever seen! And that's after all the suffering we have had for the last 5 yrs.

We badly need a striker who can score. Special mention to Ayew, how much did you have to drink Friday night mate?? He played like some of my mates on a Sunday morning after a skin full the night before, legs and brain not working together :)

Buy a forward now!

• Like 1

Great effort from the lads. Like alot have said if we just had a decent striker we would have won comfortably. Hopefully the gestede injury may allow us to sign some striker. Our team is looking very solid at the back. Lescott was probably tied motm with gil for me. The biggest negative of the match for me was the terrible crossing from bacuna. I would go back to starting veretout next match and then look to bring on bacuna late for the extra legs. Also another terrible performance by the ref. I feel like this has been the case for a number of weeks now.

If remi was here from the start of the season and we had a qualtiy striker I believe we would be comfortably mid table.