Ratings and Reactions: West Brom v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

The one today moaned about literally everything.

I genuinely thought in the second half "I bet this is what it's like to watch a game with Woodytom"

I think you'd be shocked. 

It's not really even moaning. It's a genuine realistic view of the game.

Did we or did we not draw 0-0 with an utterly dire West Brom?

Edited by Woodytom

I don't get Ayew and I'm struggling to see why people are so impressed with him.

Yes he puts in 110% effort and yes he wears his heart on his sleeve but why does he not get in the box?

Several times today there was a knock down or a ball across the box and he was no where to be seen.

I know people's opinions on Gabby but you can guarantee if played he would be in the box and on the end of these chances.

Surely it's time to give Gabby a chance?

He's no worse than we have already

Just now, Stevo985 said:

The one today moaned about literally everything.

I genuinely thought in the second half "I bet this is what it's like to watch a game with Woodytom"

True, awful and depressing commentator "What's wrong with these players of today" (Flails arms about) etc etc etc

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I agree. But we've been much better off late no?

If we'd had a half decent striker rather than a donkey up front today we'd have won the game. I'm sure of it.

Or a bloody penalty.

Whilst I agree with you're point, it's not the ONLY point and I don't see the mileage in talking about something that were highly unlikely to get - a decent striker.

However, what I do believe is possible is for us to field a team that despite lack of ability, go out with a lack of fear and with a ruthless streak. 

We had enough ability to put the ball in the back of the net today.

Good performance today, we were the only team playing football and, perhaps more impressively, we outfought them too.

The defence were all strong, Gana, Westwood and Gil all played well, Bacuna's delivery was awful but his physical strength was necessary, Kozak never got into it, although he had no service and no support, Ayew was good first half but largely disappeared in the second.

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Couldn't pick a blade of grass in a meadow . And it seems the problem is far from being addressed . It's mind blowing having to endure this tripe time and tima again .

I'm not sure I'd call it tripe.

Two months ago, it was tripe. This is now the second game in a row where we can genuinly feel frustrated we didn't win - one of which was against the team at the top of the table.

We're all but down, but I'm genuninely happy with the way we're playing at the moment compared with where we were when Garde took over.

As others have pointed out, we're probably one forward away from being a reasonable PL team.

Yes, it's too little too late, but assuming we get a striker and carry on playing as we are, there is no reason in my eyes why we shouldn't expect promotion straight back up.

9 minutes ago, Godders said:

My favourite today was when, after spending 70 minutes moaning about how no one was in the box, he then moaned about the fact that Gil lost the ball by the corner flag because everyone was in the box!

Who was this joker?!

Haha, yeah, that was a classic. 

• Like 1

My favourite today was when, after spending 70 minutes moaning about how no one was in the box, he then moaned about the fact that Gil lost the ball by the corner flag because everyone was in the box!

Who was this joker?!

Haha, yeah, that was a classic. 

It was Garry Birtles and he was dreadful.

When he said Richards should've been sent off for the foul on Yacob I lost the small amount of respect I had for him.

Constantly complaining about poor quality crosses, lack of numbers in the box. They were valid points but it just got annoying.

He sounds like a very angry old man

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

I think you'd be shocked. 

It's not really even moaning. It's a genuine realistic view of the game.

Did we or did we not draw 0-0 with an utterly dire West Brom?

You are aware that you sort of made his point, there, right?

1 hour ago, Dorset77Villa said:

I don't get Ayew and I'm struggling to see why people are so impressed with him.

Yes he puts in 110% effort and yes he wears his heart on his sleeve but why does he not get in the box?

Several times today there was a knock down or a ball across the box and he was no where to be seen.

I know people's opinions on Gabby but you can guarantee if played he would be in the box and on the end of these chances.

Surely it's time to give Gabby a chance?

He's no worse than we have already

Because he is not a out and out striker. If Gabby is the answer, I don't know what the question is.

5 unbeaten and looking solid. However we are running out of games now. If this was occuring in November, we might have had a chance. Garde might get us to be a decent team by March, but we will be down by then. To have any chance, we need a striker by the end of the window.

Pulis is a cave man coach who should be nowhere near the premier league. 40% possession at home versus the worst team in the league tells its own story. I would have Garde over him any day of the week.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, benireduk said:

Constantly complaining about poor quality crosses, lack of numbers in the box.

I'm picking up that Garry wasn't a massive hit with viewers of the Villa persuasion.

To be a little bit fair to him, we did constantly give him the same thing to complain about.

I've no idea why we didn't try to put the Albion defence under more pressure.

At least maybe try getting some bodies in the box once or twice, just to see what would happen.

Edited by briny_ear

3 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

and what striker would come here. We can all dream but you have to deal with reality .

With the Euro's in the summer, and a guarantee of first team football for 6 months in the premier league, I think we can probably find a decent striker willing to come here.

The 'reality' we have to deal with is whether the club would be willing to pay for them.

• Like 2

I just had the misfortune of watching the post match Pulis interview. I cannot quite believe it. He said he is "delighted" with his team having played against a "£84 million team". Apparently he complained about the original appointed ref so the FA changed the official which will explain why he defended the stone wall penalty saying "Ayew went down easy". I have to laugh else I will cry. It is corrupt. Give me strength. At least some publications saw it for what it was:

"Villa were left to rue what might have been had Madley done his duty."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3413494/West-Brom-0-0-Aston-Villa-Jordan-Ayew-penalty-claims-turned-dull-midlands-derby-ends-goalless.html#ixzz3y61lGmwn

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I'm picking up that Garry wasn't a massive hit with viewers of the Villa persuasion.

If he and Mark Lawrenson ever got together to commentate on a game, it would be like listening to the Radiohead of football.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Godders said:

With the Euro's in the summer, and a guarantee of first team football for 6 months in the premier league, I think we can probably find a decent striker willing to come here.

The 'reality' we have to deal with is whether the club would be willing to pay for them.

There ya go a non starter