Steven Hollis

Villan4Life

We had an identity under Ellis.

LOL.

Our identity under Ellis was that of a club who'd fallen from the very top, who never ever restored ourselves to where we should have been. A club who could have been massive, but never was. A club who had sporadic periods of doing better, but still a world away from where we could have been.

Holloway was right: we're a half arsed club who used to be famous. That identity was set by Ellis and it start still prevails today.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 4

I'm a bean counter and we aren't all about cutting costs.  My role in my company is to squeeze the best out of the resources we have and find ways of increasing that revenue base through synergies, new avenues for revenue generating and exploring new markets.  Obviously there are far more people than me involved in my business but I am a senior person and over the 5 years our revenue has doubled and our employees have almost doubled.  

You squeeze the resources you have , re-invest and just just keep growing.  Bean counters always get the bad rub of the green in terms of "come to cut costs" which is not true, we get value for money from the cost some of us use that to generate more.  I'm not defending him, I'm defending the argument that because he's a bean counter he obviously wont benefit Villa and will continue to cut costs.  I'm pretty sure that if I was put in his role, with my background you would say the same about me but if you talk to anybody that knows me I'm all about growth, expansion and improvement.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Richard said:

.They have tried to implement a solution without laying the groundwork for that solution to be a success .  And as we have continued failure and stumble from one chaos to the next they do not understand why it is failing and just continue to try and implement it.....Under Lerner I couldn't tell you what we stand for. Proud History Bright Future was the strapline used.  Fine,  tell me what the bright future is,  what we stand for and how you are going to achieve it.  he never has. Part of that is because I dont think he ever knew.  It was mostly superficial I think.

The bit quoted I completely agree with. I I hadn't really thought of it like that before, but seeing it written down - spot on.  He's always had, I think the best intentions and not the slightest clue as to how to make it work. The absence of (apart from very early on) of people who know what they're doing and the refusal to listen to or appoint knowledgeable staff has been an absolute killer.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TRO said:

If we had of had that on the field since august we might not be where we are now. I know what you mean, but don't under value hard work and great attitude.

You clearly don't "know what I mean".  Of course hard work and attitude are great attributes, but 1) Hollis is using the words as code for "minimal investment" and 2) every single team would hope to display these traits but Hollis gives no blueprint around how he will outperform the pack ( inside info: he won't)

please don't buy into this garbage - we will need far far far more than buzzwords and platitudes to succeed

I think you guys are over-stating what a Chairman (or any board member) actually does. They normally sit on multiple companies at once (Hollis is now on 3 at last count), and their job is basically to make sure the CEO is doing his job properly and that the owner's investment is being protected. I'd be amazed if he was at Villa Park more than a few days a month.

Day to day running, finances, transfers, staff etc etc... this will all be going through Tom Fox. Hollis will be doing little more than the odd mission statement, shareholder meeting and rubber stamping of stuff.

26 minutes ago, mwj said:

I think you guys are over-stating what a Chairman (or any board member) actually does. They normally sit on multiple companies at once (Hollis is now on 3 at last count), and their job is basically to make sure the CEO is doing his job properly and that the owner's investment is being protected. I'd be amazed if he was at Villa Park more than a few days a month.

Day to day running, finances, transfers, staff etc etc... this will all be going through Tom Fox. Hollis will be doing little more than the odd mission statement, shareholder meeting and rubber stamping of stuff.

I think you're describing directorships rather than chairmanships however I broadly agree. 

I don't think people are over-reacting, they are mostly using the thread as a vehicle to point out the sturcutural flaws which have developed within the club under Lerners "stewardship". My opinion is the Hollis is just window dressing; a cardboard cut-out bought in to stand in for an absent owner. It is very unlikely that he will have any positive impact at all

39 minutes ago, mwj said:

Int wresting how he intends to "shake it up" then isn't it?

8 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

I think you're describing directorships rather than chairmanships however I broadly agree. 

I don't think people are over-reacting, they are mostly using the thread as a vehicle to point out the sturcutural flaws which have developed within the club under Lerners "stewardship". My opinion is the Hollis is just window dressing; a cardboard cut-out bought in to stand in for an absent owner. It is very unlikely that he will have any positive impact at all

I said over-stating, not over-reacting but agree with you 100%

For my business I have to 're-bean-count' every 2 years or so because of constant changes in the market. I can imagine that football is no different but dwarfs my modest baby in not only finances but also in capacity.

But IF RL lays out a brief of

"do the best you can with what you have but dont come asking for monies from me - and by the way, save as much money as you can so I can lower my selling price step by step till this "liability" is sold"

Then SH will direct his aims at that objective.

I think we can only hope that till he succeeds and the club is sold we havent dropped too many leagues.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard said:

Int wresting how he intends to "shake it up" then isn't it?

Not really. He probably used a email template he still had from his KPMG days... <insert company here>

4 minutes ago, mwj said:

Not really. He probably used a email template he still had from his KPMG days... <insert company here>

Isn't that unwise given that it was his first statement on the back of a high profile role at a very media and public focused company which does depend a lot on the public in order for it to have a successful business?

oh and by the way he didn't use a template from his KPMG days

Edited by Richard

Just now, Richard said:

Isn't that unwise given that it was his first statement on the back of a high profile role at a very media and public focused company which does depend a lot on the public in order for it to have a successful business?

How was it unwise? He's just paying a little lip-service to the fans. He doesn't need to impress shareholders or the wider stockmarket. The only person who's opinion he should be worried about is Randy's (as his boss). I imagine Randy would also have issued him some equity, just to make sure their interests are aligned (and I imagine Hollis is no fool and made sure he got some). 

Â