Match Polls  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Manager's Performance

2. 2. Refereeing Performance

Guzan - 4 - Another mistake, beaten near post. Needs to the replaced ASAP

Cissokho - 6 - Solid considering first game of the season

Lescott - 5 - Fine but his speed cost us for the second goal

Richards - 5 - Positional play is always poor

Hutton - 3 - Allowed ANOTHER goal from an opposition full back coming forward unchallenged. 2 in 4 games, plus the De Jong chance in the Newcastle game plus I think there was another chance against Norwich. Utter liability

Gana - 6 - Ok, wins a few tackles here and there but his distribution is not that much better than Sanchez

Veretout - 6 - Not up to his recent standards

Bacuna - 7 - Started well, faded in the second half. Drove forward which is something we've been missing

Grealish - 3 - Utter passenger today. Should have been taken off at HT

Gil - 6 - Nice goal. Gets pushed off the ball too often and when he didn't he wasn't influential enough, delivered about 1 ball into the box that I can remember.

Gestede - 4 - One trick pony, can't hold up the ball with his feet which makes him pointless as a lone striker

Traore - 6 - Nice assist and 1 or 2 other crosses. ALWAYS stops and waits for the defender before trying to beat him against which is a **** waste of some of the positions he found himself in.

Kozak - 6 - Wasn't really on long enough, but held up the ball well once or twice

Sinclair - No rating

36 minutes ago, chappy said:

On the train home now, what a crap performance.

Bacuna and Veretout played well today, Gil was good in flashes too. Gana was solid enough. Everyone else can hang their heads in shame.

On balance of play we did not deserve to lose 3-1. Sunderland are almost as bad as we are. Based on our farcical defending though, we deserved to concede in double figures. Guzan getting beaten at his near post again. Lescott giving Defoe all the time in the world. Richards is not good enough at organising the defence. Cissokho seemed way off the pace so the Wycombe game comes at a good time for him to get used to playing again.

No incisiveness up top, we missed Ayew for sure but don't know if him playing would have changed much. Grealish was poor.

I may be in the minority based on this thread but I wasn't impressed with Adama today. Slowed the play down far too often when we were counter attacking, to standing still. All of his crosses were over hit (including the goal, which I'll come to later). As soon as he had been booked (shocking decision, ref and assistants were a joke today) he seemed to lose interest and sulked. Before he went off he wasn't even chasing passes that weren't directly in to feet.

Gestede needs someone up with him (Ayew) IMO, tries hard but their centre backs were never really troubled by him.

And in the middle of it all, despite how crap we were, Carles Gil pulled the goal of the season out of nowhere, unfortunately it will be forgotten as this was the game which left us 7 points adrift of 19th. On today's showing we will struggle in the Championship.

Thoroughly depressing.

Chappy makes me happy when he continues to go to these games...

carnt blame the players.not their fault they are not good enough,the fault lies with the scouting & signing of them

Surely we can blame the players for not being good enough?

Admittedly if our scouting "system" was up to scratch they would have identified the players weren't good enough anyway

On keeping the faith…In life and football, you first have to believe. If you don't you have no chance to do it. Let's say it's more difficult. I am realistic as well. But in football you can have a run of winning games. In every league in every year you see teams losing games and then winning four, five, six in a row. Why not us? But for that we will probably need one or two or three players to bring new freshness into the team. 

On the transfer window…I will try - the club with me. This will be a key point in turning the situation in another way in the second half of the season for sure.

On the application of his players…Today, to be fair, I didn't see a team that didn't give everything they could. We got back into the game with this great goal from Carles but then we conceded another one. When you concede so many goals like us, it's difficult to win games. Of course, you have to look at the result which is the main target for every team in football. But you also have to look at the way we played and, to be fair, we didn't play so badly. I can blame some of my players in some situations of course. When you concede goals it's always because you made mistakes.But then I saw a team that wanted to fight. But we probably missed some quality.

Huh? It's at times like this I think we should have an English manager. 

Edited by squirdle

You know it's bad that the only good thing I can find in all of this is that relegation won't be this devastating surprise. There is getting relegated and then there is going into the last-game needing 1 point and not getting it kind of relegated.. Yes I've resorted to ranking relegation methods by which one is better as a fan, that's how bad our situation is..

It's ironic that in a game where we generally looked the better team, the score is so unflattering. Our defence is the problem, all four and the keeper should be replaced. We also don't have forwards anywhere near good enough, Ayew included, although Ayew is worthy of a place, we just need a more regular source of goals.

Always liked and respected Defoe, and he did it again, shame we don't have someone like him.

Sunderland should fear as they are going down too. 

I just ignore all things football these days. Checked the score at about 5.30pm, not surprised at the result but disappointed none the less. I'm done with all things Villa these days. It's gone way beyond bad to embarrassing and shameful. We are a joke of a club, the laughing stock of the premiership and the media. I'm just waiting for it to get worse if that is conceivably possible.

Players were straight down the tunnel at ft. **** words removed

Dont blame them, they knew what was coming, it was a strange crowd today, Kozak and traore chants throughout, lerners a rocket polisher, you're not fit to wear the shirt, booing everyone's touch after the shambolic 3rd goal

Sunderland were utter utter **** garbage, one of the worst teams I've ever seen, and they beat us 3-1

We're full of stupid mistakes and a lack of effort, Sunderland were just plain shit

Thought Gana was good today but faded, veretout run round a lot, gestede was rubbish again, Gil I think looks up and sees no movement so doesn't cross and as a result looks ineffective a lot of the time (great goal) grealish didn't do anything! was t even showing for the ball that much. traores a one trick pony with horrible movement and the back 4 + Guzan are an embarrassment

First Villa game I've managed in a couple years.

Sunderland fans were very friendly and helpful but feel they are for the chop also.  

Found it interesting during warm up how Sunderland's keeper's kicking was dropping on a pin every time... then you watched Guzan struggling to get it within 15 yards of Bunn (under no pressure).  

First time I've looked at the team sheet and felt relatively happy.  Sunderland scored their first goal completely against run of play. 
Traore's runs were somewhat exciting but his delivery and hold up play quite frustrating.  
Thought Cissokho did OK at left back (bar the end).  Richards is not a centre back.... never was never will.  Get him into RB while Hutton is out.  
Gana & Vertout played OK... Gana seems really lightweight.  
Think Okore should be starting every week.
Grealish & Gestede are nowhere near good enough.
Great to see Kozak back.

Fans were absolutely incredible, sang non stop for a good 80 mins then nail in coffin.  

Championship here we come.