The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

On 31/03/2023 at 10:19, MakemineVanilla said:

I don't know what the exact expression is but it is something like 'colour', but whatever it is called the great jazz, soul and rock singers had it, and Karen didn't.

Karen had a beautiful voice but it lacked emotion.

Singing the right notes, hopefully in the right order, is not enough.

That is why everyone hated Sing Something Simple, which used to follow Pick Of The Pops, and tolled the knell of parting weekend.

I know exactly what you and @mjmooneymean.

There’s a conversational quality to a really good singing voice - it’s like they use more of their talking voice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

There’s a conversational quality to a really good singing voice - it’s like they use more of their talking voice.

Can be, but maybe this is an example that disputes it? Any excuse to post some Luluc.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

Can be, but maybe this is an example that disputes it? Any excuse to post some Luluc.

Yeah, suppose it depends a bit on mood and genre. I mean I like listening to choral stuff which is very much not sung in a conversational way.

But if I think why, say, Aretha Franklin is a better singer than Mariah Carey, it’s that Aretha sounds more like a big acoustic guitar and Mariah sounds more like a hair metal lead guitarist tapping out pentatonics. Same reason why Leonard Cohen or Lou Reed are better singers for me than a lot of more technically accomplished singers.

All subjective obviously, and the best singers are unique in their own way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

But if I think why, say, Aretha Franklin is a better singer than Mariah Carey, it’s that Aretha sounds more like a big acoustic guitar and Mariah sounds more like a hair metal lead guitarist tapping out pentatonics. Same reason why Leonard Cohen or Lou Reed are better singers for me than a lot of more technically accomplished singers.

Brilliantly put, Kent. Obviously I'd use the same argument for Bob Dylan and Neil Young. 

But not Mark E. Smith.  😆

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

And one of the greatest cover of all time, if it wasn’t for the graphic many probably wouldn’t even spot it was a cover.

The boy with a thorn in his side…

Thats The Smiths isnt it? They say SFA but to my ears its the smiths, not sure about the Russian fella speaking at the start though.

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

Thats The Smiths isnt it? They say SFA but to my ears its the smiths, not sure about the Russian fella speaking at the start though.

I think that’s literally all they’ve done, put some Scandinavian woman at the start and the end of the original recording. There’s sampling, and there’s taking the piss.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

Russian, you say? Sounds like a very Gruff Scottish accent to me. Not sure it's actually Mozza at all?

• Like 1

This has I am sure popped up before, there is so much to hate about this its difficult to know who would get the first bullet, the songwriter or the gibbons on stage performing it. Awful. 

On 03/04/2023 at 17:21, Seat68 said:

This has I am sure popped up before, there is so much to hate about this its difficult to know who would get the first bullet, the songwriter or the gibbons on stage performing it. Awful.

Regardless of how shit that is (very) WTF is the SAW Teaboy wearing? Also, covering The Smiths... do you really have to do the Morrissey hand movements? Awful

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

@blandy I'm a big fan of Miss Bridgers and went the other way around on that one, discovering the (superb) Sinead O'Conner original through finding that cover - it's quite the tune!

Yeah. I’ve liked Sinead from the first moment I heard her way back in the 80s. She’s still one of the most remarkable acts I’ve seen live, not just the brilliant voice, but wow does she pour all her emotions into her performances.

As for Phoebe Bridgers, I was later to her than some, or later to liking, really liking her music rather than just hearing it. It was Punisher coming out that got me, then I went back and bought the first album, too.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 14:07, Lichfield Dean said:

OMG!!!

Just spotted the YouTube content warning... This is a fantastic cover of Genesis' Jesus He Knows Me by Ghost.

Having said it's fantastic (and I do really like it) it does somewhat show up Tobias's limitations as a singer. Phil Collins is noticeabley more powerful and playful with the vocals than Tobias.

But I still like both versions (although probably I like the live Genesis version the most, with its extra energy and added guitar solo).

On 07/04/2023 at 11:23, blandy said:

Yeah. I’ve liked Sinead from the first moment I heard her way back in the 80s. She’s still one of the most remarkable acts I’ve seen live, not just the brilliant voice, but wow does she pour all her emotions into her performances.

As for Phoebe Bridgers, I was later to her than some, or later to liking, really liking her music rather than just hearing it. It was Punisher coming out that got me, then I went back and bought the first album, too.

Motion Sickness is one of the best songs of the last decade.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Motion Sickness is one of the best songs of the last decade.

On my Music app thing on the computer, every single song is ranked. 250 or so from the last decade have the maximum 5 stars. 5 of them are Phoebe Bridgers songs and that's one of them, so yes, I agree in my OCD way.

• Like 1

Â