The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

I know I've done this before (I've a feeling we had a thread called something like 'Most Overrated Singer') but... I don't get the reputation of Karen Carpenter. 

People go on about the expressiveness of her singing. I don't hear any. Her voice to my ears is... flat. Not in a pitching sense, obviously - she was technically perfect. Clinically so, in fact. Sterile. Antiseptic. But the very definition of emotionless. The choice of material didn't help, but between the anodyne arrangements and her insipid voice, they managed to make even decent songs sound bland. The original of Ticket to Ride had that chiming Harrison guitar, and Lennon's trademark rasp. The Carpenters version was just pap. 

The exception that proves the rule? Goodbye to Love. Not because of bland Karen (imagine what a Linda Ronstadt or a Bonnie Raitt could have done with such a desolate heartbreak song), but purely because of Tony Peloso's blistering (one take!) guitar solos. 

A 'Best of the Carpenters' album would just have that one track, for me. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

My favourite version of Ticket To Ride

I quite like Hüsker Dü/Bob Mould, but what an awful mix. Drums too high, vocals buried. Was it a live recording? 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I quite like Hüsker Dü/Bob Mould, but what an awful mix. Drums too high, vocals buried. Was it a live recording? 

It was Mike, I think it was in London, its very muddy, to be polite, but there is something about it I like.

Just now, Seat68 said:

It was Mike, I think it was in London, its very muddy, to be polite, but there is something about it I like.

Yeah. Sounds like an audience recorded bootleg. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I know I've done this before (I've a feeling we had a thread called something like 'Most Overrated Singer') but... I don't get the reputation of Karen Carpenter. 

People go on about the expressiveness of her singing. I don't hear any. Her voice to my ears is... flat. Not in a pitching sense, obviously - she was technically perfect. Clinically so, in fact. Sterile. Antiseptic. But the very definition of emotionless. The choice of material didn't help, but between the anodyne arrangements and her insipid voice, they managed to make even decent songs sound bland. The original of Ticket to Ride had that chiming Harrison guitar, and Lennon's trademark rasp. The Carpenters version was just pap. 

The exception that proves the rule? Goodbye to Love. Not because of bland Karen (imagine what a Linda Ronstadt or a Bonnie Raitt could have done with such a desolate heartbreak song), but purely because of Tony Peloso's blistering (one take!) guitar solos. 

A 'Best of the Carpenters' album would just have that one track, for me. 

I don't know what the exact expression is but it is something like 'colour', but whatever it is called the great jazz, soul and rock singers had it, and Karen didn't.

Karen had a beautiful voice but it lacked emotion.

Singing the right notes, hopefully in the right order, is not enough.

That is why everyone hated Sing Something Simple, which used to follow Pick Of The Pops, and tolled the knell of parting weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I don't know what the exact expression is but it is something like 'colour', but whatever it is called the great jazz, soul and rock singers had it, and Karen didn't.

Karen had a beautiful voice but it lacked emotion.

Singing the right notes, hopefully in the right order, is not enough.

That is why everyone hated Sing Something Simple, which used to follow Pick Of The Pops, and tolled the knell of parting weekend.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Exactly what I was trying to articulate. 

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I understand why the guitar in GTL makes the record what it is. It's like he's showing Karen what she should be doing. The first solo starts off by simply following the melody. Nice tone, but so far, so Bert Weedon. And then he suddenly whips out a short flurry of more off-piste playing, almost like he's saying "Karen, love, put some emotion into it - like this". And on the outro solo, he really lets rip, showing her what she should be doing with her voice. It's a total study in contrasts. 

Edited by mjmooney

2 hours ago, blandy said:

His cover of shipbuilding is great, too.

Now thats actually a bit of a debate. Is it a cover? Written by Langer / McManus for Wyatt and released first by Wyatt too I think

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Now thats actually a bit of a debate. Is it a cover? Written by Langer / McManus for Wyatt and released first by Wyatt too I think

I wondered if anyone would question it! Costello (McManus) wrote it and he recorded it, so IMO that's the "original" - it might not have been released first by him, but he was the first to sing it etc.... that was my thinking, though I didn't know they wrote it specifically for RW.

• Like 1

Incidentally, I have Shipbuilding by Robert Wyatt on CD. On the same CD is another cover, that (at the time) I didn't know was a cover. (The CD being a Q magazine cover CD).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I wondered if anyone would question it! Costello (McManus) wrote it and he recorded it, so IMO that's the "original" - it might not have been released first by him, but he was the first to sing it etc.... that was my thinking, though I didn't know they wrote it specifically for RW.

Not strictly true, only the words are Costello, the tune is Langers and he specifically wrote it for Wyatt. Wyatt’s version was released in 82. Costello didn’t come out til 83 and it was an album track on Punch The Clock 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blandy said:

Incidentally, I have Shipbuilding by Robert Wyatt on CD. On the same CD is another cover, that (at the time) I didn't know was a cover. (The CD being a Q magazine cover CD).

As much as I like Public Enemy this to me is the definitive version. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blandy said:

His cover of shipbuilding is great, too.

See, I’ve gone to post this in the Russian thread a few times, and now the moment’s gone.

Solid piece and as relevant now as ever.

• Like 1

Â