The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

6 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Careful, you'll do yourself a mischief binging on that much landfill indie in one go!

I didn't listen to all of it thankfully, I just picked out a few that piqued my interest. I don't need to listen to Natasha Bedingfield (...? I vaguely remember Daniel Bedingfield, I guess this was his sister?) covering Madonna's Ray of Light, or KT Tunstall doing Let's Stick Together...

But man... 2007s Radio 1 darlings are not good. They're really not good. Ooft.

Ha, absolutely one for the rubbish claims to fame thread here; Natasha Bedingfield was in the same Psychology degree class at Oxford as my wife's best friend.  Very up herself, apparently.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chindie said:

But man... 2007s Radio 1 darlings are not good. They're really not good. Ooft.

Quite. You've inspired me to go on a dig for some decent covers from the acts of that era, and it's proving a challenge!

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Christ, this is slow going.

Right, your mileage may vary, but I am partial to this effort from You Say Party...

Going to the Bat For Lashes-well feels a bit cheat mode, I adore Natasha Khan's voice.  Pick of the bunch of her cover work is this Springsteen one (oddly enough the only time I've ever been underwhelmed by BFL is their cover of A Forest.  I'm sure this conversation's come up before, but I don't think I've ever heard a good version of it.  Maybe the original is just so good as to be uncoverable).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

only time I've ever been underwhelmed by BFL is their cover of A Forest.  I'm sure this conversation's come up before, but I don't think I've ever heard a good version of it. 

It has and I agree there isn’t a single cover out there that is a patch on the original IMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

2007 tastic the Fratellis cover the Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower. Ooft.

The Hendrix version is a rare example of a cover becoming the definitive version. Dylan acknowledged it himself. 

The result is a masterpiece that Bob Dylan even preferred to his own and amended the structure of his initial track for later live performances to be more like Hendrix’s, explaining: “I liked Jimi Hendrix’s record of this and ever since he died I’ve been doing it that way,” adding: “Strange how when I sing it, I always feel it’s a tribute to him in some kind of way.” 

Far Out  

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

marginal dislike for not liking her cover of A Forest.

It certainly has all the ingredients of something I would love, but for some reason that I couldn't even begin to articulate, it just doesn't... vibe with me, I guess?  Which is a damn shame.  That said, I've just come across a live cover of Boys Of Summer she did that I wasn't aware of, which is itself a big guilty pleasure song for me, and it sounds terrific.  I really, really need to catch them live at some point, annoyingly they were playing a show supporting Sigur Rós just down the road from me a couple weeks back, but it was on my wife's birthday and other plans had long since been put in place.

Back on-task, and speaking of Sigur Rós, here's a somewhat inoffensive pop at Hoppípolla by We Are Scientists, which at least gets some points for giving it a go.

Staying with the theme of 6/10 covers of 10/10 songs:

Lastly - and admittedly I'm stretching the scope a little here, Besnard Lakes may have come about in that early/mid-00's era but this one's only from two years ago and realistically, I don't think you could chuck them in with the landfill indie stuff anyway - here's Good Morning, Captain, which I might otherwise deride for not doing anything particularly different or interesting with it, but they get a pass from me as it's such a fun song to play (and just about the only Slint song I can play, at any rate).  It is ultimately though, a song that lives and dies with Brian McMahan's close mumblings and stood-back-from-the-mic angst-ridden howling of the denouement.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

Japandroids cover of mclusky that doesn't... really do it for me (and I do otherwise like me some Japandroids).

We Versus The Shark cover of Future Of The Left, which does do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Â