Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Having watched yesterday and seen the rumours of us being linked to Morrisson, I can't help but think he is exactly what we DONT need.

I have seen a fair amount of disjointed play from us this season, seeing Ayew hold onto the ball for ages as he tries to go solo, Grealish vastly better this year but also guilty of this.

We don't want another AM who will drop deep and make run after run to the detriment of the rest of the attaching move. I think intelligence is key at this level as we're seeing from McCormack.

Not that we're after him but a Hoolahan - type player is more what we need IMO

• Like 1

Ravel may be on his way them.

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/serie-a/2016-2017/ravel-morrison-set-to-leave-lazio-for-aston-villa_sto5732663/story.shtml

Ravel Morrison set to leave Lazio for Aston Villa

973304.png

31 minutes ago

•  
  •  

Ravel Morrison has been left out of the Lazio squad again as rumours grow that he will be heading to Aston Villa.

The Aquile begin their Serie A season tonight against Atalanta.

Morrison is not even in the travelling party to Bergamo, despite impressing in training.

The Corriere dello Sport claims this is because he is set for a transfer to Aston Villa over the next few days.

The 23-year-old creative midfielder managed only eight appearances in a Lazio jersey for a grand total of 159 minutes of football.

Read the original article on Football Italia - The ultimate website for English-speaking fans of Italian football

• Like 1

I'd take the gamble, but just not sure on his position. From the limited footage I've seen he doesn't appear to be a conventional central midfielder, so would probably either have to play off the left (Grealish's position) or off the forward (with McCormack moving to number 9) to get the best out of him. But stand to be corrected. 

58 minutes ago, cj_iow said:

Was quite impressed by the Derby RB yesterday, put in some good crosses was very pacy and also defended well.  Don't think would cost the earth either

Mentioned him a few times on here. Cyrus Christie.

He only cost them £100k from Coventry as well.

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd take the gamble, but just not sure on his position. From the limited footage I've seen he doesn't appear to be a conventional central midfielder, so would probably either have to play off the left (Grealish's position) or off the forward (with McCormack moving to number 9) to get the best out of him. But stand to be corrected. 

I think he probably will take up one of those options. 

To get promoted we can't just have an 11 and one way of playing. 

Morrison brings competition for places and options. Great signing IMO. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think he probably will take up one of those options. 

To get promoted we can't just have an 11 and one way of playing. 

Morrison brings competition for places and options. Great signing IMO. 

Nice to be agreeing with you :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, useless said:

I hope we get Morrison on a permanent deal, will make him feel more wanted and settled and I think he'll play better as a result.

Big gamble imo.

I'm sure West Ham etc thought the same.

Loan would suit us. We have too much rubbish to get rid of as it stands adding possibly another would be stupid.

He has an attitude problem, that is clear to see.

As far as I'm aware he was doing well at West Ham, I know at one point it looked like he was going to be involved with the England setup. West Ham fans weren't happy when Allardyce sold him. Reading up on him, a common theme seems to be that he ends up being a fans favourite wherever he goes. 

• Like 1

Difficulty for me is that Morrison isn't a wide player, so he doesn't take Jacks position (Whilst I'm on this, I think Jack and Ayew all play better centrally, so think we won't create a lot from out wide at all this season with these three).

We would end up having Morrison in a three-man midfield, infront of Jedinak and Tshibola. Pushing McCormack up top by himself, but he plays better with a partner and as a link man too, he's not an out and out centre forward, his instinct is to drop back for the cut back rather than get into the box or to try and play somebody else through. He's not greedy enough as a lone centre forward. 

Add to that RDM clearly favours a target man up top, Gestede obviously first choice - but shown in Libor up top over Ayew or even Gabby - and signing Morrison doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially considering his issues. He either has to play out of position (in ahead of Jack or Ayew), Or we switch to another formation and lose either Ross or Rudy (neither of which I see RDM doing), or and more likely is he is a bench option used for rotation - which we certainly need.

But with his history I would just prefer somebody else if thats the role they are taking up, Gnabry on loan for instance. 

• Like 1

I don't follow everything he does but as far as I'm aware he hasn't displayed any characteristics of a bad attitude in recent times. If he does sign, I think it's save to say he's enthusiastic enough about the prospect. Not expecting miracles, but do think he'd do well, and surprise a lot of people..

5 minutes ago, useless said:

As far as I'm aware he was doing well at West Ham, I know at one point it looked like he was going to be involved with the England setup. West Ham fans weren't happy when Allardyce sold him. Reading up on him, a common theme seems to be that he ends up being a fans favourite wherever he goes. 

He has missed training sessions for Lazio and United in the past. Phelan at one point even admitted they couldn't find him for 2 days and then the next day "they would manage to bring him back".

Not really the type of player I would want at this club long term (nor short term but we are desperate for a bit of quality)

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Difficulty for me is that Morrison isn't a wide player, so he doesn't take Jacks position (Whilst I'm on this, I think Jack and Ayew all play better centrally, so think we won't create a lot from out wide at all this season with these three).

We would end up having Morrison in a three-man midfield, infront of Jedinak and Tshibola. Pushing McCormack up top by himself, but he plays better with a partner and as a link man too, he's not an out and out centre forward, his instinct is to drop back for the cut back rather than get into the box or to try and play somebody else through. He's not greedy enough as a lone centre forward. 

Add to that RDM clearly favours a target man up top, Gestede obviously first choice - but shown in Libor up top over Ayew or even Gabby - and signing Morrison doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially considering his issues. He either has to play out of position (in ahead of Jack or Ayew), Or we switch to another formation and lose either Ross or Rudy (neither of which I see RDM doing), or and more likely is he is a bench option used for rotation - which we certainly need.

But with his history I would just prefer somebody else if thats the role they are taking up, Gnabry on loan for instance. 

Having said all of this. if we stopped trying to play Ayew as a winger and more of a wide forward, I think putting Grealish behind McCormack with Ayew and somebody like Nakhi Wells as wide forwards could work well and allow McCormack to link up with both of those. Grealish infront of Jedinak and Tshibola would allow him roam around (Jack on the wing just isn't pace enough for me). And then he could rotate with Ravel in midfield. Think I would still prefer Gnabry on loan over Ravel though - big pot of gold for whoever manages to make Ravel fulfil his potential however.