Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

28 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I've been told that the top of RDM priority list is someone who is good at taking set pieces. 

Might explain his comments yesterday that he wanted something different to what our current forwards provide.  We have a big guy in Gestede and a number 10 in Ayew so what else is there?  Maybe a Justin rodes type player who gets 30+ a season.

What comments were these? Nobody actually posts stuff up on VT any more. 

Don't really see Ayew as a traditional number 10 myself. I only watched him in the play off final but Forestieri seemed like one of those, and maybe we could do with someone of a similar style to him.

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Most centre back pairings consist of two right-footed players, surely?  Does RDM genuinely not play this?  Limits our options a wee bit...

I disagree mate, I think most coaches/managers prefer to have right and left foot pairing.  When Lescott played with Clark last season you could see how it unbalanced us.  I could be wrong though and he may choose to have Okore with Elphick.  

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Don't really see Ayew as a traditional number 10 myself. I only watched him in the play off final but Forestieri seemed like one of those, and maybe we could do with someone of a similar style to him.

Would love Forestieri...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I disagree mate, I think most coaches/managers prefer to have right and left foot pairing.  When Lescott played with Clark last season you could see how it unbalanced us.  I could be wrong though and he may choose to have Okore with Elphick.  

I think Lescott and Clark had more to do with neither being very good rather than what foot they kick with.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What comments were these? Nobody actually posts stuff up on VT any more. 

Was in the sun but a direct quote.  Cant find the link to the sun though.

“We’ve got some strikers with certain attributes but we’ll have many different opponents throughout the season and I need someone who can help us change games,” Di Matteo said.

“A new, fresh face with different qualities will give us a big help. But I’ll take my time, I’m not in a rush.”

Villa currently have a host of striking options available to them, but hardly any of them impressed last season.

While Jordan Ayew did show some quality in the Premier League, the remainder of Villa’s forwards all struggled last term.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

“We’ve got some strikers with certain attributes but we’ll have many different opponents throughout the season and I need someone who can help us change games,” Di Matteo said.

“A new, fresh face with different qualities will give us a big help. But I’ll take my time, I’m not in a rush.”

Villa currently have a host of striking options available to them, but hardly any of them impressed last season.

While Jordan Ayew did show some quality in the Premier League, the remainder of Villa’s forwards all struggled last term.

Good stuff, not for the first time I fully agree with his assessment. 

Excited to see who we go for. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

My Sister-in-Law's partner is a massive Sheffield Wednesday supporter and goes to watch them fairly regularly, and he raves about Forestieri. I don't think it would go down well with him if we signed him, and I may have to avoid him for a very long time, as he still holds a grudge against Villa from when we nabbed Big Ron from them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Translated...he wants somebody with talent.

• Like 1

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Good stuff, not for the first time I fully agree with his assessment. 

Excited to see who we go for. 

As i say Ive heard about a good set Piece taker is his top Priority.  Was Milner the last one we had?  I know i'm probably putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5 but a good set piece taker is a game changer.  Nzomina v westham was last one that stands out for me

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

I'm only thinking off the top of my head here, but...

Leicester City - Morgan, Huth, Wasilewski - all right-footed?

Arsenal - Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Chambers - all right-footed?

Spurs - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Fazio, Wimmer - Vertonghen left-footed, the rest right?

Man City - Kompany, Mangala, Otamendi - all right-footed?

That's the top 4 from last season and I can only think that Vertonghen is left-footed.  Might not be right here though...!

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm only thinking off the top of my head here, but...

Leicester City - Morgan, Huth, Wasilewski - all right-footed?

Arsenal - Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gabriel, Chambers - all right-footed?

Spurs - Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Fazio, Wimmer - Vertonghen left-footed, the rest right?

Man City - Kompany, Mangala, Otamendi - all right-footed?

That's the top 4 from last season and I can only think that Vertonghen is left-footed.  Might not be right here though...!

Fair enough, I honestly don't know if you are right or wrong with any of the above.  However, at Chelsea Cahill and Terry are a right and left foot pairing, but I take your point.  Personally still prefer to have one of each though and we do currently have Lescott, Clark and Baker, who are all left footers. 

Fair enough, I honestly don't know if you are right or wrong with any of the above.  However, at Chelsea Cahill and Terry are a right and left foot pairing, but I take your point.  Personally still prefer to have one of each though and we do currently have Lescott, Clark and Baker, who are all left footers. 

Aren't Cahill and Terry both right-footed too? :|

• Like 2

Think you'll find Terry is left footed in the main.  Like I said earlier, be interesting to see how RDM sets us up. 

Think you'll find he's not - he just plays on the left side of a centre back pairing.

Anyway, back on topic...

• Like 1