Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Think we've needed a winger since Downing left! If lescott goes I think CB becomes priority need 4 good centre backs and toner as a fourth choice just isn't ready yet in my opinion. Right back I don't think is really much of a worry Hutton, Richards and Bacuna are fine at this level I guess. 

8 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I want a right back that can defend primarily. Yes we need another central midfielder, preferably one that doesn't have to protect the defence as much because we have a better right back.

Unless we change the formation that has been used in pre-season, we are going to go with 2 holding midfielders.  Gana was obviously pencilled in to one of those two.

I think we all want a right back who can defend primarily.  The point is that it is not a priority over the two midfield berths.

It will be nigh on impossible to find a right back who performs adequately at both ends of the field, especially as a championship club.  There are suggestions of another 4 coming in on permanents and even a couple of loans.  There is a good chance that a right back will be amongst that little lot.  For me though, the team tomorrow is desperate for an offensive and a defensive midfielder. Hopefully by next Saturday, one if not both of those positions are sorted and we can then turn our sights towards a right back.

1 hour ago, Butterfingers said:

I'm not sure that finding a right back who does that effectively is as easy as you think.

Replacing Gana protects the defence and adding someone creative, for example Morrison will give the forwards far more ammunition than an attacking right back will.

Not having a go at you BF but I don't get why a number of people on here keep going on about not having attacking right backs and the lack of wingers.  Through pre-season RDM has played a 4-2-3-1 which uses inside forwards, in the three, cutting in on their stronger foot with overlapping wing backs providing the width.

Why buy wingers or "defensive" full backs if your preferred formation doesn't warrant them?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I want a right back that can defend primarily. Yes we need another central midfielder, preferably one that doesn't have to protect the defence as much because we have a better right back.

I'd use Richards as my defensive RB and play Adama in front of him and tell Richards to sit and just let Adama stay up front but still think we need an all round one who is a good defender but can also contribute attacking wise. If Bacuna could defend it'd be him. He created a lot from there and I thought with coaching he'd come good unfortunately not!!! 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think we try Andre green for 5 games before the window shuts and then decide if we need a new winger

we were also linked with loaning traore from Chelsea in the week

I think expecting Green to be consistent over the season would be asking a lot but long term he'll be the one. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, macandally said:

Not having a go at you BF but I don't get why a number of people on here keep going on about not having attacking right backs and the lack of wingers.  Through pre-season RDM has played a 4-2-3-1 which uses inside forwards, in the three, cutting in on their stronger foot with overlapping wing backs providing the width.

Why buy wingers or "defensive" full backs if your preferred formation doesn't warrant them?

I haven't suggested that we buy either wingers or defensive full backs.

I suggest we buy a replacement for Gana and a third part of the offensive tio (ideally for me would be Morrison)

The formation is not my favourite, especially in this league.  We are not going to see wingers signed (and there aren't many out there these days anyway). 

In this formation though, I think the full backs have a role t play going forward and indeed we've seen evidence of this in the friendlies.  I think if RDM did buy a full back, he would be looking at someone who can play in he opponents half as well. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I'd use Richards as my defensive RB and play Adama in front of him and tell Richards to sit and just let Adama stay up front but still think we need an all round one who is a good defender but can also contribute attacking wise. If Bacuna could defend it'd be him. He created a lot from there and I thought with coaching he'd come good unfortunately not!!! 

Richards could be useful somehow, just not as a footballer.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, UGC said:

Think we've needed a winger since Downing left! If lescott goes I think CB becomes priority need 4 good centre backs and toner as a fourth choice just isn't ready yet in my opinion. Right back I don't think is really much of a worry Hutton, Richards and Bacuna are fine at this level I guess. 

Bacuna is not now and never has been a right back. He is, however, a midfielder who can play all across the advanced midfield line, even being able to fill in at right-wing.

Richards has gone backwards in any defensive position, so his ideal position would be as a box-to-box midfielder.

Hutton at least does know what being a right back entails.

Replacements are available.

For example; Chris Gunter of Reading and Wales, who can defend but is happy being a wingback. Or DeAndre Yedlin of Spurs who is best used as a wingback. Not forgetting DeLaet of Leicester. For a defensive right back, Swansea's Kyle Naughton is as good as they come. 

A winger who can play either side or, through the middle, who has a wicked delivery and is out of contract is noir Hoillet.

Of course for a winger to be effective, we'd need a centre-forward who has movement and anticipation, which leaves Gestede and Agbonlahor out of the mix.

25 minutes ago, UGC said:

Bacuna is not now and never has been a right back. He is, however, a midfielder who can play all across the advanced midfield line, even being able to fill in at right-wing.

Richards has gone backwards in any defensive position, so his ideal position would be as a box-to-box midfielder.

For example; Chris Gunter of Reading and Wales, who can defend but is happy being a wingback. Or DeAndre Yedlin of Spurs who is best used as a wingback. Not forgetting DeLaet of Leicester. For a defensive right back, Swansea's Kyle Naughton is as good as they come. 

A winger who can play either side or, through the middle, who has a wicked delivery and is out of contract is noir Hoillet.

Of course for a winger to be effective, we'd need a centre-forward who has movement and anticipation, which leaves Gestede and Agbonlahor out of the mix.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Cheerleader.

He has got the 180 degree spin and arm flap down to a tee.

Yes. He has a good physique, and he has the moves. Maybe he can get tips from Chippendales? I am sure he can do anything if he wants.

Just nothing to do with stopping things.

20 minutes ago, 1958Villan said:

I can't see the attraction in Gunter, yes he had a decent euros but there is a reason he plays for Reading a low placed championship team

Just now, alreadyexists said:

Would anyone have Ashley Young back? I would jump at the chance, but can't see it happening.

Maybe, but would probably be quite expensive in terms of wages...

• Like 1