Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Pritchard has been excellent for Brentford and would probably make the step up to Premier League. Worth a punt at 6m, though 8m is a push.

Hughes owes us a full season and he's Prem quality all over so it'll be a final season at Derby and move to a Prem club if we don't go up.

Trouble is, at the moment none of us have any idea of which formations RDM or Pearson are going to play do they? We have been 4-3-3 for ages but Pearson's history suggests 4-4-2 which would mean we would be looking to move on a couple of wide forwards like Blackman/Weimann/Camara/Russell etc.

Haven't seen any mention of Alan Judge on here yet, another one maybe worth a punt.

Getting an older DM like Barton is definitely the way to go, he made the difference for Burnley. Not sure how many like him are around though.

18 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Carroll always seems highly rated but never seem to have done much at his loan spells at QPR and Derby or for England under 21s.

Another one I'd take a look at would be Tom Lawrence who's a decent striker.

Tom Lawrence is love, Tom Lawrence is life. 

He is much better in the 3 behind than as an actual striker. Love the lad and it would be cool to see him playing for Villa. Shame he had to pull out of the Euros, was going to get his shirt but now he won't have a squad number so I don't know what number to get. 

• Like 1

Would not be fussed to see Gil go. Capable of moments of magic but they are so far between and in that between stage he's such a drain on me emotionally. He's incredibly frustrating and he's got so little ambition. 

I think Westwood is more dynamic. 

17 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I can see us being linked to Michael Hector. Clarke knows him from Reading & can't see him getting (m)any minutes at Che$ki next season. 

I suggested Hector last week, along with people like Bamford, Loftus-Cheek, Clarke-Salter, Kenedy, Atsu, Traore.  Any of these would be a useful addition on loan for a season.  Not sure how many players you can loan from any one club though?  You would also think that RDM and Clarke would have connections and influence at Chelsea still? 

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

There is one name that springs to mind when thoughts turn to new recruits. We are crying out for an experienced, quality, hardworking player. People mention the likes of Barton or Parker but if we could do anything to convince Gareth Barry to finish his career at Villa then we should be doing it.

Unfortunately he's still getting plenty of game time at Everton but he's 35 now and they will be getting a new manager in who might not be fussed on keeping him. He would be absolutely perfect for us, have a great impact on the squad (partic Grealish) and would be the best midfielder in the Championship by a mile.

Probably won't/ can't happen but he is exactly the type of player we need in the middle of the park. Do you think there is any part of him that would like to be the man to get Villa back up?! He gave us one more year when Liverpool came calling and, in hindsight, left for the right reasons. Most fans recognise this.

He'd be top of my wishlist for our first season outside the top flight in a generation.

I agree with you re Barry and think not only would he be good on a match day, but also day to day in training.  A true professional in every sense.  However,  I do wonder if he has one eye on the all time Premiership appearance record?  He is not that far away now and one more season in the Premiership will do it.  As a fan of his, I wouldn't begrudge him this and hope he does achieve it.  

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, John said:

There is no way Andre Green should leave. This should be his breakthrough season with us and he should want to stay to get first team games with us. Why should we let him go to one of the clubs that are thinking of taking him off our hands to play for their U21 team now we are relegated? We need to keep players like those mentioned because they can burn up our present division with the right players around them. Keeping the players we want to keep will be as vital as bringing in players and getting rid of those players we don't want out during this transfer window.  

Nice player but it seems he only wants to play for clubs in London.   

Oh it would be madness for Green to leave but it is not uncommon for prospects in his position to be signed up and warehoused by the likes of Chelsea, Man City etc. Ideally you would hope that 2 of Grealish, Adama and Gil are kept while Sinclair and Bacuna(sometimes a winger) are moved on. In that scenario there would be need for only one signing in that area with Green and possibly Robinson providing cover. Callum O'Dowda would be a good value for money addition freeing up money to spend on more important areas like the keeper, defence, central midfield and possibly up front if Ayew leaves.

Try and get Gareth Barry back and someone like Ricky lambert who wouldn't exactly cost too much but would be effective.

We need to keep the young players purchased last year and ayew and Ghana 

And get rid of the ones dragging us down of which there are 4 or 5 senior players.

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Try and get Gareth Barry back and someone like Ricky lambert who wouldn't exactly cost too much but would be effective.

We need to keep the young players purchased last year and ayew and Ghana 

And get rid of the ones dragging us down of which there are 4 or 5 senior players.

Ricky Lambert would be terrible, although he has decent technique he has no mobility. Imagine a situation where the only strikers available are Gestede and Lambert. Keeping Ayew would be massive, Gana would be nice to keep but easier to replace than Ayew if he was to leave. The 4 most important players to remove are Lescott, Richards, Agbonlahor and Guzan. Richardson and N'zogbia are out of contract while the likes of Kozak and Cissokho should be able to get clubs somewhere in Europe. That should leave the squad a little leaner and allow some quality and good characters be introduced.

5 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Pritchard has been excellent for Brentford and would probably make the step up to Premier League. Worth a punt at 6m, though 8m is a push.

Hughes owes us a full season and he's Prem quality all over so it'll be a final season at Derby and move to a Prem club if we don't go up.

Trouble is, at the moment none of us have any idea of which formations RDM or Pearson are going to play do they? We have been 4-3-3 for ages but Pearson's history suggests 4-4-2 which would mean we would be looking to move on a couple of wide forwards like Blackman/Weimann/Camara/Russell etc.

Haven't seen any mention of Alan Judge on here yet, another one maybe worth a punt.

Getting an older DM like Barton is definitely the way to go, he made the difference for Burnley. Not sure how many like him are around though.

What?

Are you talking about villa or Derby?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

I suggested Hector last week, along with people like Bamford, Loftus-Cheek, Clarke-Salter, Kenedy, Atsu, Traore.  Any of these would be a useful addition on loan for a season.  Not sure how many players you can loan from any one club though?  You would also think that RDM and Clarke would have connections and influence at Chelsea still? 

Depends if Cleverley is coming in with Januzaj.