Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

8 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Why? If the money's there through Dr X plus sales why not? Do you want us to stay in the championship ? Us and Newcastle easily will have the biggest budgets in the league and we should act accordingly. I'm not advocating wreckless spending beyond our means but if the money's there let's spend it. 

Whilst I agree with you, I don't think spending 8m on one unproven player (4 starts in the prem?) is the way to go.. thats the kind of signing that put us in this mess in the first place.

I don't mind spending 8m on a proven player though.

Edited by Junxs

If we only had to make a couple of signings then yeah I could see us spending that.

But we need a lot.

I can see us spending 8m on a striker though.

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Whilst I agree with you, I don't think spending 8m on one unproven player (4 starts in the prem?) is the way to go.. thats the kind of signing that put us in this mess in the first place.

I don't mind spending 8m on a proven player at this level though.

Completely agree. I just asked the question in the first instance about how good Pritchard was as I saw he may be available then used him as an example of a player who could add balance to our shit midfield. I don't know enough about him to advocate spending that amount specifically on him tbh. But I can see us spending that amount on a player or two if Dr X really means business. We can't stay down there too long. 

Edited by thabucks

Andre Gray is the record Transfer in the Championship. £9.3m

Only 3 players in the history of the Championship have cost more than £8m.

I said it before, but people are grossly overestimating the money that is spent in that league. I'm not saying we can't and won't break the spending record, I just don't think we'll be doing it on unproven players in positions that aren't in dire need of strengthening.

• Like 2

£8m on Pritchard seems ludicrous.. I've never seen him play, but is he any better than say Gardner or Grealish? He hasn't managed to break into a prem side on a regular basis. I think sometimes people just want to buy these players from a good side without even seeing them play.

Id also agree that we won't be spending £8m on a midfielder, and we'll be lucky if do on a striker. You could easily argue we need 10 new players, as such I'd say majority will be 3-5m bracket.

16 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Id also agree that we won't be spending £8m on a midfielder, and we'll be lucky if do on a striker. You could easily argue we need 10 new players, as such I'd say majority will be 3-5m bracket.

If that.

Again, to put things in perspective*:

The most expensive goalkeeper ever bought in the Championship is Alex Smithies. £1.5m
Only he and Kasper Schmeichel have ever commanded sums of more than £1m for a goalkeeper.

£5m would be a championship record for any defender. Bruno Manga is currently the most expensive at £4.7m.
Only 6 defenders have ever cost more than £3m.

Prices go up as you move forward, but again only 3 midfielders have ever cost more than £5m at that level. Bradley Johnson at just over £6m is the highest.

Then strikers are where the money is spent. McCormack, Gray and Rhodes (twice) commanding the highest fees as touched upon previously.

I've seen people in various threads suggesting we should be spending £5-6m on a goalkeeper, £18-20m on a striker and his backup, and now £8m on an attacking midfielder (ok, they didn't really suggest that, fair enough, but it was mooted). It just isn't going to happen at least not all together! I acknowledge we might spend big on a player or two, but not all over the pitch.

I hope as much as anyone that Dr X has money to burn. But I think people are overestimating the kind of money spent in that league. Last season only 2 teams spent more than £10m in the summer (Boro and Derby). We need a lot of players, that much is true, and I'd certainly expect us to be spending more than £10m. But we won't be splashing as much cash as some people think.

*Figures from TransferMarkt.co.uk so if they're wrong, blame them

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Really like Pritchard, don't understand why Spurs let him go to West Brom as you know what Pulis is like with ball playing CMs and predictably he hardly got a kick.

He was outstanding at Brentford two seasons back.

I think signings like him and Bamford and 2-3 older heads and that's a good mix for transfer activity.

Gnabry was another highly rated player Pulis tried to ruin. another lad with potential we could try recover

few times I seen him he looked dangerous but wouldnt pay 8million for Pritchard, Carroll on the other hand be a great signing and he is known for stupid career moves so he might join us ;) 

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

few times I seen him he looked dangerous but wouldnt pay 8million for Pritchard, Carroll on the other hand be a great signing and he is known for stupid career moves so he might join us ;) 

Carroll always seems highly rated but never seem to have done much at his loan spells at QPR and Derby or for England under 21s.

Another one I'd take a look at would be Tom Lawrence who's a decent striker.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The main priority for a central midfielder is to sign someone with a good physical presence and engine. I assume Sanchez will leave and he lacked an engine, the others like Westwood, Gana and Veretout are not really physical players. Someone in the Kouyate/N'Zonzi mould ideally should be the number 1 priority. Tom Carroll is more of the same.

Edited by Kuwabatake Sanjuro

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

If that.

Again, to put things in perspective*:

The most expensive goalkeeper ever bought in the Championship is Alex Smithies. £1.5m
Only he and Kasper Schmeichel have ever commanded sums of more than £1m for a goalkeeper.

£5m would be a championship record for any defender. Bruno Manga is currently the most expensive at £4.7m.
Only 6 defenders have ever cost more than £3m.

Prices go up as you move forward, but again only 3 midfielders have ever cost more than £5m at that level. Bradley Johnson at just over £6m is the highest.

Then strikers are where the money is spent. McCormack, Gray and Rhodes (twice) commanding the highest fees as touched upon previously.

I've seen people in various threads suggesting we should be spending £5-6m on a goalkeeper, £18-20m on a striker and his backup, and now £8m on an attacking midfielder (ok, they didn't really suggest that, fair enough, but it was mooted). It just isn't going to happen at least not all together! I acknowledge we might spend big on a player or two, but not all over the pitch.

I hope as much as anyone that Dr X has money to burn. But I think people are overestimating the kind of money spent in that league. Last season only 2 teams spent more than £10m in the summer (Boro and Derby). We need a lot of players, that much is true, and I'd certainly expect us to be spending more than £10m. But we won't be splashing as much cash as some people think.

*Figures from TransferMarkt.co.uk so if they're wrong, blame them

Only thing is the riches of the PL now are so much much greater. I can envisage clubs in the Aston Villa founded football league spending a whole lot more now than in the past. The potential gains are so huge it will put upward pressure on prices below. 

7 hours ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

I imagine the 9m on Rhodes is close. Although Burnley spent big on a striker too, that nag have been more than 10..

Calling him a nag is a bit harsh, he was voted player of the season! ;)

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Only thing is the riches of the PL now are so much much greater. I can envisage clubs in the Aston Villa founded football league spending a whole lot more now than in the past. The potential gains are so huge it will put upward pressure on prices below. 

For sure. £170 million is now the minimum prize, clubs will definitely be splashing out more and more to obtain it. Not long until theres a prem league 2 because when burnley come down again having spent buttons upgrading the squad they will have a huge money pot by championship standards.

I can see Newcastle (and possibly, hopefully, us) smashing a few transfer records this summer then.

We've seen some ridiculous spending in that league recently though (Andre brown, thanks I couldn't remember his name) so each week could see a new league transfer record. Newcastle, Derby, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Leeds.. All capable of spending a few million on a player or two.

20 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

I can see Newcastle (and possibly, hopefully, us) smashing a few transfer records this summer then.

We've seen some ridiculous spending in that league recently though (Andre brown, thanks I couldn't remember his name) so each week could see a new league transfer record. Newcastle, Derby, Sheff Wed, Wolves, Leeds.. All capable of spending a few million on a player or two.

Leeds and Wolves?? No chance either will spend a few million

6 hours ago, skarroki said:

Older head in midfield, could do worse than get Scott Parker in on a free for a season to help get us back up?

Does he still even play? If so where? I completely forgot he even existed.