Steve Round

SikhInTrinity

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/11998352/Aston-Villa-news-Remi-Garde-set-to-appoint-Steve-Round-to-his-backroom-staff.html

Aston Villa news: Remi Garde set to appoint Steve Round to his backroom staff
Round was David Moyes' assistant at Manchester United and is expected to join as Garde's No.2 before Saturday's trip to Everton

Aston Villa news: Remi Garde set to appoint Steve Round to his backroom staff

John Percy By John Percy11:48AM GMT 16 Nov 2015 CommentsComment
Remi Garde is set to appoint Steve Round, David Moyes' former Manchester United assistant, to his backroom staff at Aston Villa.
Round has held talks with Garde over a move to Villa Park and is expected to join as the Frenchman's No. 2 before Saturday's trip to Everton.

Remi Garde wants an assistant with Premier League experience
Garde has moved for Round as he wants an assistant with experience of the Premier League, after his bid to recruit Gerald Baticle and Bruno Genesio was blocked by Lyon.
Round, 45, turned down an offer from Steve McClaren to join Newcastle earlier this season and is also believed to have been a target for Tim Sherwood, Garde's successor, in the summer.But he is poised to agree a short-term deal with the strugglers, possibly until the end of the season, and will make his return to the game in the Midlands.

Villa held Manchester City to a 0-0 draw in Garde's first match in charge
Round worked with Moyes as No. 2 for six years at both Everton and United, before leaving Old Trafford last April.
The former defender has also assisted McClaren at England and Middlesbrough, plus Sam Allardyce at Newcastle.
Villa are bottom of the league after only one win this season but held leaders Manchester City to a 0-0 draw in Garde's first game.

If it is true that he is signing a short term deal until the summer, then maybe this will be a stop gap appointment until we can get Rémi's first choices in from Lyon during the summer?

• Like 3

Just now, SikhInTrinity said:

I'm quite positive, he could of gone down the route of KMac, but obviously looked at it and thinks we need an English head in the group.

Oh i'm with you on this.

I'm just not entirely convinced this was his decision based on absolutely nothing but a gut feeling.

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

So what is Reginald Ray then, I thought he was assistant manager?

Garde operated with two assistants in France so he probably wants to recreate that here. 

Just had a text off an Evertonian saying steer well clear of him:

"He is the most negative, dour ***** I've ever seen coach a football team! Defensively, he will improve you in the short term but in the long term, he'll stifle you. Absolute dinosaur of a coach"

"Moyes gets a lot of criticism for 'defensive' football but under him and Alan Irvine, we played a lot of attacking, fearless football. When he replaced Irvine, we were solid for a while but then our football became very direct and percentage-based. That's why he got chased out of Old Trafford after Moyes' sacking and why Moyes didn't take him over to Spain with him!"

"Wait til you see him wearing his headset - then your blood will be boiling!"

If it's a short term thing to prevent defensive errors then could be okay I guess...