Steve Round

SikhInTrinity

9 hours ago, BOF said:

No it's not.  We've the same defence as Leicester in 3rd place.  We've conceded fewer goals than the 5 teams directly above us.  It is our attack that is utterly pathetic.  Along with Stoke and the Baggies we have scored the fewest goals in the league.  Looking at our side at the moment, I'd say fixing the midfield would actually go a long way towards setting us right, because I think the strikers need more ammunition and if we can get an effective formation in front of the defence then that should help them.  But for me the defenders are not the problem at the moment.

Bri it really is, that was only our second clean sheet of the season in the league which is not good whatsoever. you are right attack is a problem but you need to get the defence right first then get the goals. if you cant defend for nothing you could score 5 but concede 6! if we knew how to bloody defend we would have won that leicester game for example!

Our defence is the key to our staying up, a good defence is the most important factor in a solid side.

An extreme view being even if you can't score and therefore never win a game, if you don't concede a goal (and never lose) you would likely secure enough points for survival.  However, you can score 2, 3 or 4 goals every week, but conceding 3, 4 or 5 goals every game will see you acrue no points.

Unfortunately, we need to drastically improve both defence AND creativity/scoring. But we need to fix the defence right away, the scoring can come later.

Edited by thunderball

12 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Bri it really is, that was only our second clean sheet of the season in the league which is not good whatsoever. you are right attack is a problem but you need to get the defence right first then get the goals. if you cant defend for nothing you could score 5 but concede 6! if we knew how to bloody defend we would have won that leicester game for example!

Agree.

We have the same defence as Leicester, which is the 5th worst in the league.

Conceding lots of goals is fine if you score shitloads. We don't.
So whilst scoring goals is obviously a problem, tightening the defence would be a much more sensible short term fix for us.

43 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agree.

We have the same defence as Leicester, which is the 5th worst in the league.

Conceding lots of goals is fine if you score shitloads. We don't.
So whilst scoring goals is obviously a problem, tightening the defence would be a much more sensible short term fix for us.

Indeed, and there's obviously more we can do to tighten the defence, whereas there seems to be little we can do to improve us going forward without making signings.

• Like 1

I think we're agreeing on what needs solving but disagreeing on how to solve it.  Let me try and explain my position.

I believe the defence as a unit; as a shape; is not playing particularly badly.  You say yourself it is individual errors that are costing us, which by implication means it is not that the defence are getting pulled apart, but rather it is individual concentration, fatigue, fitness and hopefully to a lesser extent ability in the latter parts of the game.  You don't eliminate those lapses of concentration on the training ground by drilling the defence if they are being caused by secondary factors (if someone is f**king up because they're tired, they'll still be tired after loads of training and you won't have addressed the underlying cause).  You prevent individual errors in other ways.  If the errors are down to the factors I have outlined above relating to tiredness, then what you DO on the training ground is fix the shape of what is directly ahead of the defence so that the defence are less exposed to attacks.  Fewer attacks defended over the first 75 minutes of a game means the defence are not worked as hard and so they have more energy in their legs and (just as importantly) in their brains to be alert and avoid brainfade in the last 15 minutes.

To me that means working first and foremost with the midfield, and to a lesser extent the attack.

Which is what I was getting at in my first post.  If you fix that midfield then you automatically improve the defence and you provide more for the attack.  The defence in itself, IMHO, in the way it is performing is not fundamentally a training problem.  It may even be as simple as picking the right personnel in midfield and giving them proper direction.

EDIT : We do understand that working with one area does not mean that the other areas are doing nothing though don't we ? :)  They can all improve at the same time.  From everything coming out of BH it sounds like he's very much into them training as a full team unit anyway, so the effects should be pretty fluid throughout the side.

• Like 1

Garde is blocking the move to bring in Round, David Moyes' assistant at Manchester United and Everton, despite the pair having talks at Villa's training ground. 

Round is understood to have been recommended to Garde by Villa's director of recruitment Paddy Reilly, in a bid to recruit a coach with experience of the Premier League. 

But Garde has already appointed Reginald Ray as his assistant and does not believe there is a suitable role for Round at the club. 

He said: "I am happy at the moment with my staff. I know the club had spoken to him before I came here and I said it was no problem [to speak again], I wanted to be polite. 

"I didn't know Steve personally but I know his career so it was nice to have a chat with him but that was it. I am happy with my staff."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/12006571/Aston-Villas-Remi-Garde-blocks-move-for-Steve-Round.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Seems strange to me, if Garde isnt happy to have him then I support him. reilly interfering again??

"Interfering" is a bit harsh.

Sounds like there was something arranged before Garde arrived. Garde agreed to talk to Round out of courtesy given the previous arrangement and Reilly's recommendation but has ultimately said no.

Nothing wrong with Reilly making recommendations. That's what he's there for.
If he forces Round to be appointed without Garde wanting him then THAT would be interfering. But it doesn't sound like that's the case at all.

• Like 2