Steve Round

SikhInTrinity

Just had a text off an Evertonian saying steer well clear of him:

"He is the most negative, dour ***** I've ever seen coach a football team! Defensively, he will improve you in the short term but in the long term, he'll stifle you. Absolute dinosaur of a coach"

"Moyes gets a lot of criticism for 'defensive' football but under him and Alan Irvine, we played a lot of attacking, fearless football. When he replaced Irvine, we were solid for a while but then our football became very direct and percentage-based. That's why he got chased out of Old Trafford after Moyes' sacking and why Moyes didn't take him over to Spain with him!"

"Wait til you see him wearing his headset - then your blood will be boiling!"

If it's a short term thing to prevent defensive errors then could be okay I guess...

I would hate to finish 6th every year.

I understand the criticism however. We desperately need some of that defensive solidity. Long term. One game is not enough evidence that we have turned that corner.

I heard he didn't go to Spain because he didn't want to move to Spain. But I could be wrong.

Well plenty of respected managers have taken him on as assistant/first team coach.

It's not unusual either for a foreign manager new here to have a British person on the staff who knows the league, Mourinho had it with Steve Clarke and Wenger had it with Pat Rice.

What I like is this will be a low key appointment rather than rent a gob Keane which was a sideshow and Ray Wilkins drawing his pension out of us.

Steve Round will be low maintenance and will get on with the job so I welcome it.

• Like 2

Solid. I am delighted to be underwhelmed given the buffoons we've had at the club assisting the first team - Keane, Wilkins, KMac.... If he shores up the opposition gift that is our defensive game, then great.

Next: what about our offensive game? 

spoke to a hardcore Everton fan.

he says he hated Steve Round at Everton, as Round would play 10-0-0 formation every game if he had the chance.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing, just passing on the information without my own thoughts included.

Edited by ender4

Let's hope all Round was doing at Everton was trying to implement the philosophy that the manager wanted.  Moyes is also a notoriously defensive minded manager.  If Garde has different ideas then you'd think Round would be getting those across instead.  It's not like he's there to be the yin to Garde's yang.  They both have to be pulling in the same direction.

• Like 1

No it's not.  We've the same defence as Leicester in 3rd place.  We've conceded fewer goals than the 5 teams directly above us.  It is our attack that is utterly pathetic.  Along with Stoke and the Baggies we have scored the fewest goals in the league.  Looking at our side at the moment, I'd say fixing the midfield would actually go a long way towards setting us right, because I think the strikers need more ammunition and if we can get an effective formation in front of the defence then that should help them.  But for me the defenders are not the problem at the moment.

• Like 1

Elementary defensive mistakes has been a torn in our side, but that still sums it up for me BOF. I think the mistakes have come from nervousness, frustration and  players just being completely knackered towards the end of games. We've either been playing end to end stuff in spurts, rocket-up-the-butt-style, followed by players giving up and looking dejected. No wonder our players get frustrated and tired. A solid midfield in a team with a bit of structure and a clear strategy would go a long way, I think.

Edited by tarjei

No it's not.  We've the same defence as Leicester in 3rd place.  We've conceded fewer goals than the 5 teams directly above us.  It is our attack that is utterly pathetic.  Along with Stoke and the Baggies we have scored the fewest goals in the league.  Looking at our side at the moment, I'd say fixing the midfield would actually go a long way towards setting us right, because I think the strikers need more ammunition and if we can get an effective formation in front of the defence then that should help them.  But for me the defenders are not the problem at the moment.

I disagree.

Not with the statistics, they are bang on I'm sure. Our problem is not conceding lots of goals, we haven't been adventurous enough for that. It is the timing and the nature if the goals conceded. At crucial moments our concentration lapses, the individual errors ARE costing us and it is something that more organisation and understanding between the back 4 will help to rectify.

There is definitely room for improvement, undoubtedly. So whilst we're also struggling to score our best hope is to quickly find that improvement from somewhere.

I wouldn't worry about Steve Rounds tactics. Unless I've missed something Remi Garde is the manager.