The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

16 hours ago, AndyBM said:

In the past, we've always blamed the managers for poor performances and facing relegation, O'Neill, McLeish, Lambert and Sherwood, however, now that relegation is a certain, the manager at the helm currently cannot be blamed, the ineptitude of previous managers and the chairman has brought this on, Remi has came too late.

If we don't get some decent results and go down with a whimper, he can absolutely be blamed.

1 minute ago, jim said:

If we don't get some decent results and go down with a whimper, he can absolutely be blamed.

But only then, and not before that, if you get me.

• Like 2

Just now, BOF said:

But only then, and not before that, if you get me.

I do.

I still don't think he will do well, something doesn't feel right. A bad fit if you like. (IMO)

Yep that's fine jim.  It's just that often in here people make long term predictions and then from that point onwards those predictions seem to colour everything that poster says about the player/manager etc, rather than watching to see IF the prediction turns out right.  They try to justify it at every turn.  Curious.  It would be like if you were to constantly badmouth Garde at every opportunity for the next 6 months or refuse or begrudgingly give any credit where it was due, because it might end up weakening a prediction at the end of the season.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep that's fine jim.  It's just that often in here people make long term predictions and then from that point onwards those predictions seem to colour everything that poster says about the player/manager etc, rather than watching to see IF the prediction turns out right.  They try to justify it at every turn.  Curious.  It would be like if you were to constantly badmouth Garde at every opportunity for the next 6 months or refuse or begrudgingly give any credit where it was due, because it might end up weakening a prediction at the end of the season.

I'm in the same boat as Jim, I have a feeling this may turn out a bit like the Venglos appointment. Something just doesn't seem right about Garde at this moment in time. I'd love to be wrong but I'm not sure he is the right character required right now. Something tells me he isn't the firefighter type manager you require when in this position and I'm still a little unsure as to whether he was appointed for the right reasons. Probably doesn't help that he has inherited the worst Villa team in living memory either, I was quite surprised he took the job too given how long he has been out. I can't help looking at Sunderland with some envy with them having won 3 out of 5. I hope Garde turns it around but with Southampton away and then Arsenal he will more than likely start win 0 wins and 4 defeats from 5 games with a trip to Newcastle after those games. How bad will things turn if we lose the next 3 which is a real possibility and how will Garde cope? How will the Villa faithful react to 0 wins in 6 potentially :unsure:

• Like 1

To be fair, it's not been an easy run he's come into.

City, Everton, Southampton and Arsenal in his first 5 games is tough.

Not that that's an excuse given the task at hand, or of any consolation to us, but it would make no wins in 5 a little more understandable.

If we could get anything out of Southampton I'll be very pleased. We then need to win the Newcastle game to have any hope at all. They're probably the one team in the league who look potentially worse than us.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

To be fair, it's not been an easy run he's come into.

City, Everton, Southampton and Arsenal in his first 5 games is tough.

Not that that's an excuse given the task at hand, or of any consolation to us, but it would make no wins in 5 a little more understandable.

If we could get anything out of Southampton I'll be very pleased. We then need to win the Newcastle game to have any hope at all. They're probably the one team in the league who look potentially worse than us.

You know what football fans are like though, I have a horrible feeling this will go South in a very big way. I'm not too sure how the new summer recruits can respond, I have a feeling they may well give up if they haven't already

I said in the Watford pre-match thread that if you take the name Watford out of the equation and look at what they have going for them compared to us at the moment, a draw would be a good result.

I was expecting nothing more than 1 point from RG's 1st 3 games and for me 3pts would have been a fantastic bonus.

City can be hit and miss - we got a point

Everton with Lukaka & Del.......... on fire would blow any team outside the top 5 away.

Watford - (I didn't see the game) was apparently a good performance with individual mistakes costing us Goals again, and a few chances that we could/should have taken.

I hope Soton shoot all their bullets and energy tonight and are demoralised by a cruel defeat to Liverpool in the League Cup.

1 or 3 pts on Saturday isnt a must but would be a bonus.

Arsenal is a free hit.

I still believe we wont go down and that RG has as good a chance as any to be the man to save us.

BUT!

The free hits end with Arsenal

From Newcastle on in Remi has to get us picking up points both home & away.

I really hope we can start getting going

UTV

Villa till I die

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grasshopper said:

Free hits end with Arsenal

From Newcastle on in Remi has to get us picking up points both home & away.

Agree with this.

I wouldn't call all the games free hits, but I'd say the Newcastle game will be the end of Remi's grace period.

If results don't pick up from there on, there's no excuse.

• Like 1

If you want a bit of optimism, Leicester were 3 points adrift of safety this time last year. They ended the season 6 points clear of the relegation zone, a 9 point swing in their favour. So no-one has escaped relegation from our position before, but every season is different and the points swing we need was done just last season so we shouldn't give up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KHV said:

You know what football fans are like though, I have a horrible feeling this will go South in a very big way. I'm not too sure how the new summer recruits can respond, I have a feeling they may well give up if they haven't already

I don't understand what 'going south' will look like. We can't finish lower than 20th, we can't do worse than lose games like we do every week. Sure, maybe the fans turn on the manager, what then? Fulham went through 3 managers a couple of seasons ago, for all the good that did them, but I suppose it's possible we sack Garde in one last throw of the dice (which would be tremendously financially wasteful). What then? 

The only positive in our current situation is that it literally couldn't get any worse. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I don't understand what 'going south' will look like. We can't finish lower than 20th, we can't do worse than lose games like we do every week. Sure, maybe the fans turn on the manager, what then? Fulham went through 3 managers a couple of seasons ago, for all the good that did them, but I suppose it's possible we sack Garde in one last throw of the dice (which would be tremendously financially wasteful). What then? 

The only positive in our current situation is that it literally couldn't get any worse. 

In computer games, sometimes there are areas where the ground is not solid so if you step on it you fall through it and end up falling  past other, usually indoor, areas in the game's universe that ordinarily you would be teleported to by going through doors. Then after you've fallen past those areas, you keep falling forever and ever, as the playable game universe gets smaller and smaller as you fall further and further away from it. I guess if Remi Garde manages to produce something like that but in the form of footballing results and league position, that would qualify as this going south.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jim said:

I do.

I still don't think he will do well, something doesn't feel right. A bad fit if you like. (IMO)

Is there any manager we've had in last ten years that you thought was a good fit? It would be helpful to have a reference point.

It took a good 4/5 months for Houllier to get the players playing good stuff with the required fitness levels unfortunately Garde doesn't have 4/5 months to get it right after the next 2 games we have to go on a run to get ourselves clear. I've said all season the players look unfit hopefully Duverne can get them fit enough to scrap for 90 min. We need to pick up a couple of lucky results to get confidence going then if that happens I can see us going on a run. 

30 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

It took a good 4/5 months for Houllier to get the players playing good stuff with the required fitness levels unfortunately Garde doesn't have 4/5 months to get it right after the next 2 games we have to go on a run to get ourselves clear. I've said all season the players look unfit hopefully Duverne can get them fit enough to scrap for 90 min. We need to pick up a couple of lucky results to get confidence going then if that happens I can see us going on a run. 

Houllier didn't have a squad that was a complete bag of wank either

The whole manager debate is irrelevant at this stage of the season IMO. We could have appointed Guardiola and it still wouldn't have made a difference.

The damage has already been done as far as I'm concerned and the writing has been on the wall for a very long time. It was inevitable we would find ourselves in this position.  

Â