The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said: Exactly. Teams who are in the shit and survive win games like this, we're just not doing that. It's not good enough if we want to stay in this league. 

We've played Man City at home, Everton, Southampton away. Ground out 2 draws. that's not the end of the world.

Watford was a disaster & in fairness, Remi shook things up a bit today.

This.

If you'd told me a month ago we'd get 2 draws out of Everton, man city and Southampton I'd have taken it.

The result against Watford was disappointing, but the performance was encouraging. We need to put both together now.

My position is unchanged. I'm encouraged by Remi's start. I think he's had tough fixtures.

But that excuse ends next week. Once arsenal are out of the way we need to start winning. That's when the grace period ends.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm encouraged but we were one nil up and didn't do much to stay there. We fought for the point well but I really think given the fortunate situation we were in we should have been fighting for the win instead.

I see the exact opposite.

I thought the 2nd half was far better than the 1st. Whether that was down to their frustrations or our improved performance, I don't know.

I did feel the 50/50's were harder fought. I thought the commitment in the 2nd half should be applauded and I thought the players performed as if the cared.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

I thought the 2nd half was far better than the 1st. Whether that was down to their frustrations or our improved performance, I don't know.

I did feel the 50/50's were harder fought. I thought the commitment in the 2nd half should be applauded and I thought the players performed as if the cared.

"I thought the players performed as if they cared" this is what still gives me hope, however I'll conceived it may be.

The players didn't sign themselves we have to look elsewhere for that, but at least they are giving it their all.

Our job as supporters to applaud this effort and give the players all the 'Support" we can.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

No no, I agree, I mean that the first half was poor but we found ourselves 1-0 up. Had we made the changes to improve before Southampton scored we could have won the game.

Bit slow with the subs today imo which was a frequent criticism of previous managers.

Today at 0-1 I would've personally got Gabby and Adama on around the hour mark as Sinclair and Gestede were useless at holding the ball up. I do remember just before Southampton scored we had a good counter attack but messed up as Ayew didn't have enough support.

An o.k point though as the performance was very average. 

I think we should remember that we had a patched up defence today that had never played together before. When I saw that before the match all hope flew out of the window.

To be fair, I did not think we had any hope prior to that anyway.

And I think a draw is a good enough result for me, as my other half is out with the `gals' for a pre-Christmas `do', to dander off to the pub and partake of a couple of `Bushmills'.

Au revoir.

Disappointed with his substitution policy today. I think Sinclair should have gone at half time and Rudy on the 60 minute mark. Veretout was dead by the end as well, but only because he worked 

Certainly looks like each player knows knows their job even if they fail in the execution at times.

Seems like he knows what he's doing. Pity we left it about 3 weeks too late.....

19 minutes ago, a m ole said:

are you trying to say substitutions can't change a result?!

what if the culprit of the bad defending wasn't on the pitch when the incident happened?

I am not "trying" to say

I am saying that the substitutions did not influence the result.

If you are trying to claim that by substituting Sanchez, we would have won, the same thing could apply to every game that has ever been lost.

It is very easy to suggest that "the culprit of bad defending" should have been previously substituted after the event has happened. At 0-1, do you really expect a manager to suspect that a player will make a mistake and use that as his basis for replacing him?

5 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

imI am not "trying" to say

I am saying that the substitutions did not influence the result.

If you are trying to claim that by substituting Sanchez, we would have won, the same thing could apply to every game that has ever been lost.

It is very easy to suggest that "the culprit of bad defending" should have been previously substituted after the event has happened. At 0-1, do you really expect a manager to suspect that a player will make a mistake and use that as his basis for replacing him?

I'm not claiming by substituting Sanchez we would have won, as I've very clearly pointed out we weren't very good in the first half and were fortunately ahead. If we had been a little more proactive about our substitutions we could have seen the positive effect they had a little earlier, potentially before Southampton equalised increasing our chances of winning the game.

I like Garde and I'm seeing positive changes, that doesn't change that I can, and will attribute some blame to the result on the substitutions, or rather the timing of them as I have been very clear about.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

There's no way Sanchez would have been taken off anyway

Of course not-The only argument for doing so would be his inability to last 90mins but with Westwood already on, it would have meant altering 2 positions, thus further unstabalising the rear guard.

To be honest I can't really see what Garde has done yet. His influence and approach will take time but one thing for sure is he hasn't inspired massive confidence in the players. They all seem terrified to the point I've never seen a time give the ball away that often ever! On the other hand at times you can see there is potential once confidence grows. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm not claiming by substituting Sanchez we would have won, as I've very clearly pointed out we weren't very good in the first half and were fortunately ahead. If we had been a little more proactive about our substitutions we could have seen the positive effect they had a little earlier, potentially before Southampton equalised increasing our chances of winning the game.

I like Garde and I'm seeing positive changes, that doesn't change that I can, and will attribute some blame to the result on the substitutions, or rather the timing of them as I have been very clear about.

In case you haven't noticed, we are sh##

Our 1st 11 aren't good enough, let alone our substitutes.

We were hanging on from the 1st minute-I'm not sure what game you were watching that makes you think that substitutions could have influenced the result?

Â