The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

That have won 3 out their last 5

And before the new manager?  Come on, making these excuses now for failure is poor...if it comes to the end of the season and stays like it is then that's failure.  I don't believe they have a better squad, they're absolute pony...just a new manager has made them hard to beat and grinds out results.

I have made no judgement about Reme yet, a long way to go...but if he can't get us out of a relegation fight when sam can with Sunderland don't expect much fight in the chumpionship which is like a season long premier league relegation scrap.

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

doesnt mean they are not shit just lucky, Newcastle and Palace battered them until decisions went their way and Shawcross 2nd yellow he won the ball last week

They have kept 3 clean sheets in all of their 3 wins, before Sam arrived they had not kept a clean sheet in 11 games going back to May. They have improved a lot

16 minutes ago, KHV said:

They have kept 3 clean sheets in all of their 3 wins, before Sam arrived they had not kept a clean sheet in 11 games going back to May. They have improved a lot

And that is just the point, a shit squad improved a lot under the new manager.

And that is the measurement of success, come the end of the season...

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

And that is just the point, a shit squad improved a lot under the new manager.

We haven't improved at all

I agree on the "Bad Fit" element............. ive not made a judgement on Garde as yet........ but as a norm, when a new manager rolls into town, regardless of who it is, it generates a buzz and a bit of interest........... this appointment to me hasn't done that........... I gotta admit, I forgot wed even had a new manager sitting through the Watford game........... nothing has changed, I don't think anything will change, something just doesn't feel right to me................

4 minutes ago, Neil said: And that is just the point, a shit squad improved a lot under the new manager.

We haven't improved at all

Except we have.

That's one game. I could point to Man City and say we improved based on that.

I think overall we look better than we did under Sherwood.

But its so early. He's only had 3 games, two of them against very good teams.

Give the guy a couple of months before we declare he hasn't improved us.

Sherwood lost his first two games and we were turgid in them. But he undoubtedly improved us in his early reign.

Big Sam got battered by Everton too at Sunderland and now he's won 3 of their last 5.

Give the guy a chance.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

To be honest it is the Big Sam effect, because everything he does is based on clean sheets.

Sunderland were able to win at Palace because they had frustrated them for 80 mins, were worthy of a 0-0 draw but then from being in the game they managed to force the mistake from the Palace defender. We aren't getting ourselves into those positions because we can't keep it tight at the back.

Sam is a well seasoned manager who can fast track Sunderland in to results by his well versed knowledge of the premier league.....he has a lead on Remi due to that experience, but Remi may have the edge on Sam long term due to his European knowledge.

The Sunderland squad is not necessarily better than ours but in my view they have better players in key area's I.e Defoe.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Sunderland's squad is poor, definitely one of the worst 3 or 4 in the league. Even in our state the only players I'd potentially want would be Kaboul, Lens, M'Vila and Defoe.

They don't have Kieran Richardson and Ciaran Clark

56 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I agree with this. I have to say though the longer we go without a win the harder it is going to be for Garde to show any dramatic improvement which let’s be honest is what we were looking for the day we sacked Sherwood and decided to go for a new manager.

He has had a tough start but Watford was the game we simply had to win for me. Failure to do so just heaps more pressure on the game tomorrow. We fail to win that then we go into the Arsenal game with even more pressure on us. I know some are clinging to the Newcastle game as the start of a chance to turn things around. I think if we go into that though with 1 point from Gardes first 5 games, 5 points from 16 games overall and the fact we will have gone 15 games without a win will mean it is not going to be turned around and mentally we will be completely shot.

We have to win tomorrow. Had we have beaten Watford I wouldn't have said that but we didn't. We can’t keep writing games off and looking 2 or 3 games down the line for when we can turn it around. It has gone beyond that now. I was desperately clinging to the hope that we would get some new manager bounce and whilst the performances against Man City and Watford were decent that simply isn't enough. Points on the board is all that matters.

It will be tough to know how to judge Garde if things don’t improve dramatically. Either the players simply won’t have been good enough and no manager could have got them competing in this league which gives Garde a free pass. In which case given it is widely rumoured Reilly and Almstadt decided on the vast majority on incoming players would also give Sherwood a lot of slack. Or the players are good enough and we have picked duds to manage them. I sincerely hope come the end of the season it is neither of those and we have turned things around but with every game that passes that hope becomes fainter.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I agree with this. I have to say though the longer we go without a win the harder it is going to be for Garde to show any dramatic improvement which let’s be honest is what we were looking for the day we sacked Sherwood and decided to go for a new manager.

He has had a tough start but Watford was the game we simply had to win for me. Failure to do so just heaps more pressure on the game tomorrow. We fail to win that then we go into the Arsenal game with even more pressure on us. I know some are clinging to the Newcastle game as the start of a chance to turn things around. I think if we go into that though with 1 point from Gardes first 5 games, 5 points from 16 games overall and the fact we will have gone 15 games without a win will mean it is not going to be turned around and mentally we will be completely shot.

We have to win tomorrow. Had we have beaten Watford I wouldn't have said that but we didn't. We can’t keep writing games off and looking 2 or 3 games down the line for when we can turn it around. It has gone beyond that now. I was desperately clinging to the hope that we would get some new manager bounce and whilst the performances against Man City and Watford were decent that simply isn't enough. Points on the board is all that matters.

It will be tough to know how to judge Garde if things don’t improve dramatically. Either the players simply won’t have been good enough and no manager could have got them competing in this league which gives Garde a free pass. In which case given it is widely rumoured Reilly and Almstadt decided on the vast majority on incoming players would also give Sherwood a lot of slack. Or the players are good enough and we have picked duds to manage them. I sincerely hope come the end of the season it is neither of those and we have turned things around but with every game that passes that hope becomes fainter.

I think it's down to poor player recruitment personally

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's one game. I could point to Man City and say we improved based on that.

Give the guy a couple of months before we declare he hasn't improved us.

Sherwood lost his first two games and we were turgid in them. But he undoubtedly improved us in his early reign.

Big Sam got battered by Everton too at Sunderland and now he's won 3 of their last 5.

Give the guy a chance.

Au contraire, I haven't made any judgement and won't until the end of the season.  Based on the few games, I am yet to see an overall improvement...flip flopping between 2 games is a strong indicator that not a lot has changed.  I agree it's too early to tell, I just don't agree we've seen any proof of improvement.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Sunderland's squad is poor, definitely one of the worst 3 or 4 in the league. Even in our state the only players I'd potentially want would be Kaboul, Lens, M'Vila and Defoe.

Yet I'd mark them as favourites to finish above us

It will be an interesting game tomorrow.

we started our decline from the Sherwood bounce playing them last season, with a similar score line to their mid week game.

it will be interesting to see if their confidence evaporates or whether they come back as storm troopers.

we will see.

Â