The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

What absolute rubbish. When you're bottom of the league on 5 points away against a solid top-8 team like Southampton getting a point can hardly be called a "lost opportunity".

Pure hyperbole.

When you're bottom of the league where do the points come from?

A team playing poorly and coming off an absolute hammering feels like an opportunity for me.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

we said that after the city game but then we go and get mauled by everton. if we can build on this point then great but if we go and get hammered by arsenal next week then whats the point.

Well we need to understand that we are not the finished article-Far from it. Forget about Everton & Arsenal, anything against those two form sides will be a bonus. We need to build confidence. Newcastle & Norwich away, WHU at home are better barometers.

I look at this side & accept that whilst they haven't played with each other for long and whilst many haven't PL experience, I think most are better than the players at Norwich, Bournmouth & Sunderland.

There are going to be knock backs along the way but in our favour, we do have a bit of time on our side.

Arsenal put 3 past Sunderland-The chances are that they will do the same with us-Lets look at 15 games where 3 points are more realistic & hope to God that we gain them in at least 10

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

A team playing poorly and coming off an absolutely hammering feels like an opportunity for me.

Exactly. Teams who are in the shit and survive win games like this, we're just not doing that. It's not good enough if we want to stay in this league. 

Really irritates me when a manager waits until we concede to make changes. Sinclair and Gestede should of been off at the hour mark and bring on Gabby and either Westy/Gil in midfield. At least he dropped Richardson but unfortunately he seems to rate Gestede who is a lazy sod and should be battling to get into the squad. Plenty of times we broke away and if we had a player who can run then we would of got another few good chances, hopefully Remi has figured out he's shit by now.

Time for the apprentice to defeat the master next week now

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

A team playing poorly and coming off an absolute hammering feels like an opportunity for me.

Usually, the points are extremely hard to come by in the first place. Southampton are not a bad team at all and while it would've been great if we could've held onto the win a draw is by no means something to be getting stroppy about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Usually, the points are extremely hard to come by in the first place. Southampton are not a bad team at all and while it would've been great if we could've held onto the win a draw is by no means something to be getting stroppy about.

Don't think anyone is getting stroppy at the point. I'm just disappointed we didn't seem to want to win once we conceded. These are the rare opportunities where we need to go for those 3 points. 

We are not going to stay up by drawing 50% of our games.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Don't think anyone is getting stroppy at the point. I'm just disappointed we didn't seem to want to win once we conceded. These are the rare opportunities where we need to go for those 3 points. 

We are not going to stay up by drawing 50% of our games.

Let's be honest here, if we're going to stay up it'll by winning games against the teams around us (i.e. not Southampton). Unfortunately, we haven't done that up until now.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We are not in a position to pick and choose where the wins come from. When the opportunity is there for 3 points we should be going all out for them.

Obviously but we're also not in a position to be disappointed with a draw away at Southampton under the circumstances.

There is no way I would have brought Traore on today in those conditions. Too likely to give the ball away when we were under the cosh for most of the match. I wish people would stop thinking he is some sort of instant saviour - he isn't. 

Gestede did a good job today. Kept van Dijk occupied and provided an out ball on a tricky day to play football - don't underestimate the affect of the wind for both teams. We missed him when he went off and arguably, Southampton might not have scored had he been fully fit to do his job at the corner. 

For me, Garde did more right than wrong with his tactics today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Obviously but we're also not in a position to be disappointed with a draw away at Southampton under the circumstances.

I think a draw is a decent result and didn't expect it at the start. 

But I'm going to be disappointed till I see something that makes me think we could survive. Today showed nothing to suggest that. 

We'll lose more than we draw and win if we play like today on a regular basis. We won't play many teams who fail to convert so many chances and play fairly poorly. Those are the ones we need to capitilise on. We still should have lost after 30 minutes and still didn't look like scoring goals.

23 minutes ago, Bunnski said:

Really irritates me when a manager waits until we concede to make changes. Sinclair and Gestede should of been off at the hour mark and bring on Gabby and either Westy/Gil in midfield. At least he dropped Richardson but unfortunately he seems to rate Gestede who is a lazy sod and should be battling to get into the squad. Plenty of times we broke away and if we had a player who can run then we would of got another few good chances, hopefully Remi has figured out he's shit by now.

Time for the apprentice to defeat the master next week now

Has Gestede actually started before under Remi?  I'm not sure he really rates him at all, just horses for courses today.  It was probably as limited an XI I've ever seen for us today and we bagged a point.  Something to take forward, at least.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, supernova26 said:

Don't think he's gave us anything more than what Sherwood would have. Doesn't pro-actively make subs either. I don't like his comments about Adama not being ready etc...it's your job to make him ready.

Uninspiring manager. 

Couldn't agree more.

I've seen nothing so far to suggest this guy is an improvement over Sherwood.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Exactly. Teams who are in the shit and survive win games like this, we're just not doing that. It's not good enough if we want to stay in this league. 

We've played Man City at home, Everton, Southampton away. Ground out 2 draws. that's not the end of the world.

Watford was a disaster & in fairness, Remi shook things up a bit today.

Â