The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Just now, RimmyJimmer said:

What has veretout said about sherwoods methods?

Said he never spoke to him. Basically had no communication.

Here

“It was difficult under Tim because I was happy with my performances on the pitch and in training and I was happy with the way I was conducting myself,” Veretout says. “But I didn’t have a lot of dialogue with Tim. We barely spoke and I could never get a proper reason as to why I wasn’t playing.”

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Mark, You turning in support of him now? And do you feel he is showing enough to slowly convince you he is also capable of bringing us back up if backed by the board? Interested mate as I know you've had your doubts(rightly so by the way) he was the right appointment.

In terms of bringing us back up there are so many other factors beyond his control that I genuinely don't know mate. He carries on having us play anything like we have over the last week though and he will certainly have earned the chance to.

I do now believe that had he been here from the start of the season that we'd have done better in the last 11 games under him. I don't know if we'd have done significantly better in the first 11 games still though. That might seem like a strange thing to say but I think any manager, bar the elite perhaps, would have struggled initially this season. The facts were that we lost our best players, didn't replace them with the same level of quality or experience of this league and whilst many of those we did sign had good potential they were always going to take time to settle regardless of the manager.

In hindsight I think the first quarter of the season would always have been a struggle whilst a number of players new to this league settled and whilst we found a formation/style that got the best out of this squad. I have always though believed this is a half decent squad of players, or at the very least on a par with half a dozen other clubs, that needed time to settle. I am not as anti Sherwood as some and don't believe it was entirely down to him that we had a poor start. For the reasons stated above I think that would have been the case under most managers. That doesn't mean Sherwood didn't make numerous mistakes by the way because he did. I do also think, although much of this is guess work, that Remi would have had us playing as he has over the last couple of games for far longer had he have been here from pre season and had that have been the case we'd be well in the mix to stay up. In fact he had us playing the way we have over the last week against Newcastle and West Ham four weeks previous so this is clearly something he has been instructing the players to do for a while. For whatever reason against Norwich, Sunderland and Wycombe they almost certainly didn't do as instructed, something the manager actually stated, and you have to put that on the players.

Bottom line is that I think we will go down but come the end of the season we won't at that time be one of the three worst teams in the division. This is why even though performances and results are improving, and I now think that may well continue, I will be massively disappointed, as this squad was either never given a chance due to the wrong manager or never gave itself a chance due to lack of belief, failure to, or in some cases an unwillingness to, carry out the managers instructions and a lack of effort the latter of which is pretty much unforgivable.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

I still think we've left ourselves too much of a mountain to climb but it's good to see that Garde at least seems to be sorting us out so that we can possibly finish the season stronger and take that into next season (where we'll definitely need it to come back up).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I still think we've left ourselves too much of a mountain to climb but it's good to see that Garde at least seems to be sorting us out so that we can possibly finish the season stronger and take that into next season (where we'll definitely need it to come back up).

Its not out of the question if we can somehow get a striker with Premier League experiance

8 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Its not out of the question if we can somehow get a striker with Premier League experiance

It'll take far more than that and is Premier League experience really that important? We just need quality.

27 minutes ago, Mantis said:

If we beat WBA we could be 6 points from safety with 15 games left, yes, I'm daring to dream!

• Like 1

I didn't see the Palace game but I thought we looked much, much better yesterday. Signs starting to show of how he wants us to play, and seems like the players are gaining some belief back as well. Pleased with the reaction after Wycombe by the manager and players. I still don't think we will stay up, but I could see us put a run together and not finish bottom. If Garde can get us playing better football and have on a bit of a run towards the end of the season then I think he deserves the chance to try and get us promoted.

If Garde was our manager from the start of the season, I comfortably predict that we wouldn't be in this mess.

Reason? Organisation. Fitness.

We've only looked fit in the last two games. We've been able to battle and grind. At the start of the season we lacked fitness, and therefore fight.

Garde commented briefly on it but because he's a positive character he didn't dwell on it. He felt the players were unfit.

And it's abundantly clear that he is correct. Ayew for example, looked absolutely woeful at the start of the season. I wondered whether we'd made the worst transfer in history. He looked that bad to me. But because he was unfit, alongside factors of having a poor manager, uncertainty and no confidence it compounded the issues.

Last few games we have looked like a 'team'. We have looked more organised.

It's taken too long to achieve any sense of progress, I agree. But Garde has been battling with issues that any competent coach would have dealt with in preseason.

Of course, the position we're in has been due to years of neglect, from top to bottom. We were always going to be lower table whoever was the manager this season but for the extent of our plight this season in particular I blame Sherwood.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Will be interesting to see how Remi reacts to yesterdays performance. Whilst I don't think we were anything like as poor as most on here appear to think in the first half (a bit of muscle memory kicked in maybe) we certainly took a stranglehold when he switched things up and we started playing the long ball game to Gestede and Kozak. Conversely, we played our way through Palace with relative ease on Tuesday and the 1-0 scoreline flattered them, IMO. 

We don't have much pace throughout our side anymore, which is unusual for a Villa team but a major reason why we've struggled this season. One thing Albion have always struggled with and continue to struggle with, is pace. We could get some joy with Ayew, who is relatively rapid, in the 10 role running from deep beyond Gestede and Kozak. Sinclair might also be an option, despite being the fall guy on here. I also don't think Gil is playing well at all at present. 

So perhaps this which we finished the game with yesterday, might be his best "team" right now...

Bunn

Bacuna....Okore....Lescott....Cissokho

Gana

Westwood...........................Veretout

Ayew

Gestede.....Kozak

I like the formation, but if we go two up top, we need some pace up there with one of the tall guys. I think Sinclair could be an option down the middle, and I know this won't be popular, but Gabby could come back into the fold.

Will be interesting to see how Remi reacts to yesterdays performance. Whilst I don't think we were anything like as poor as most on here appear to think in the first half (a bit of muscle memory kicked in maybe) we certainly took a stranglehold when he switched things up and we started playing the long ball game to Gestede and Kozak. Conversely, we played our way through Palace with relative ease on Tuesday and the 1-0 scoreline flattered them, IMO. 

We don't have much pace throughout our side anymore, which is unusual for a Villa team but a major reason why we've struggled this season. One thing Albion have always struggled with and continue to struggle with, is pace. We could get some joy with Ayew, who is relatively rapid, in the 10 role running from deep beyond Gestede and Kozak. Sinclair might also be an option, despite being the fall guy on here. I also don't think Gil is playing well at all at present. 

So perhaps this which we finished the game with yesterday, might be his best "team" right now...

Bunn

Bacuna....Okore....Lescott....Cissokho

Gana

Westwood...........................Veretout

Ayew

Gestede.....Kozak

I like the formation, but if we go two up top, we need some pace up there with one of the tall guys. I think Sinclair could be an option down the middle, and I know this won't be popular, but Gabby could come back into the fold.

Sinclair > Gabby for me. The latter is done at this level, the former is a massive confidence player who would benefit from playing in a "better" team, IMO.

I actually think Sinclair is potentially a serviceable central striker. He's a good finisher.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, poitier said:

I don't think we can play with the two big men up front for the full match, it is ok for the last 15 minutes maybe but not as a blueprint for the entire game.

Is this another rule I didn't know about?

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Sinclair > Gabby for me. The latter is done at this level, the former is a massive confidence player who would benefit from playing in a "better" team, IMO.

I actually think Sinclair is potentially a serviceable central striker. He's a good finisher.

I'm not a fan of Gabby but from what I recall he does have a pretty decent record in this fixture.and it is one of the few games where he puts a shift in.

I think Garde will bring us straight back up and build on that.  I know its difficult but after the last 5 years of decline we have had we need to start being very patience and thinking long term.  Very much starting all over again and believing Garde can be the man to take us forward  for the very long term.  I'm talking 3-5 years.  

Obviously if we are pants in the Championship then a change will be needed.

Â