Pre-Match Thread

One For The Road

It's a 4-4-2 I guess, and once you go with a 4-4-2 you have to either play players that aren't in their natural positions, or play players that aren't erm....normally first choice is the politest way I'd put it.

Sanchez and Westwood in the middle I can live with, I'd sooner have seen Veretout, but at least it's natural and Gana could do with the rest.

The wide midfield positions are difficult, the only other player who can naturally play on the right of a 4-4-2 in our squad in my opinion is Gil. Traore, Ayew and Sinclair are effective in a 4-3-3 on the right of midfield but not so natural in a 4-4-2. On the left it's a similar story, Gabby and Grealish can do it, but it's not really natural for either of them. Personally, I'd have gone with throwing natural out of the boat and picked better players, or, more sensibly, not played a 4-4-2 - but it's vaguely understandable.

Not sure about Crespo, but I guess we'll see. 

I think he's tried to be sensible and simple, and even though it looks wrong, it might be more than the sum of it's parts. I don't think Richardson and Bacuna have enough to really threaten the Southampton backline though and I'm not expecting a huge amount of creativity from Westwood and Sanchez.

• Like 1

Maybe his remit was to not risk injury to certain players? Maybe there's something going on behind the scenes that made him not choose certain players? He's the manager for tonight and I stick by him. I wanted to see the best possible team and I doubt this is it but, he may prove us wrong. 

Looks like a cautious, back-to-basics defensive 442 with a gameplan of staying in the game for 60 mins and then bring on Gil/Grealish/Ayew to try and sneak a win. 

Who knows? It may work. But it won't be pretty that is for sure!