New manager

KJT123

I didn't actually realise anyone had seriously suggested Redknapp.

Unless Lerner has lost his mind, that won't happen.

There were a lot of posts like this one just before McLeish was announced. 

Redknapp, now, would be a far worse appointment than McLeish was.

Moyes should be the No.1 and ONLY choice at this time. It should be his job to turn down.

A manager who (presumably) would have been sacked from his last two jobs would be the only choice?

Yes.

The United job was impossible after Ferguson and I'd suggest that the issues at United were as much at board level where Woodward replaced Gill. 

Also - Moyes had an almost identical record to van Gaal after 50 United games. The only difference was - Moyes spent 200m LESS.

What I'm suggesting is that 'the right appointment' is more important than 'a quick appointment'. And I'm making a case for why Moyes would be a good fit for Villa.

In transfer terms, we operate at a certain level in terms of the calibre of player we can attract; 

Again - Moyes signed Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Jagielka, Pienaar, Coleman, Arteta, Howard ... from lesser clubs.

That is the same level Villa are at - signing potential, so Moyes is worth considering.

If you consider this from Moyes' point of view - 3 of Villas next 4 games are Spurs, City and Everton.  

In that exact same period, 3 of Sociedads next 4 games are against Celta Vigo, Sevilla and Barcelona.

The landscape could look entirely different in a few weeks time. And things could pan-out in Villa's favour. 

For the right, long term appointment - there is merit in waiting to see what happens with Moyes situation...  

Edited by sidalcock
  • Like 2

Has a manager ever been coined by his own fans on his first day before? 

Perhaps thats part of the evil masterplan - Make Redknapp manager so that every time he appears at Villa Park or Bodymoor without his protective Range Rover, Randy's minions collect all coins thrown at Redknapp and by January those coins will make up the transfer budget.

• Like 4

if we got redknapp my season ticket would be available

and i dont think he's the only choice but based on my limited knowledge of garde id say that moyes is my first choice by a distance, i dont think we have that bad a squad, we need structure and organisation, he'd offer that, i think he's got a ceiling as he showed at everton and utd but id happily take that over where we are, we desperately need a striker regardless of who comes in

Sidalcock.

You say United was hard after Fergie......an awful lot easier than what he'd face here I'd say !

I agree with some of your reasons for Moyes, but I don't think it's all that rosy. He isn't, by a long way, a known quantity. Regardless of the reasons why, he hasn't had much joy for a good while, his football is very dour, he is, arguably, a bit out of date, and so on.

I don't like him, but I'd see merit in him getting the job, I don't think his credentials put him in front of others though.

• Like 1

Why do people keep saying "the United job was impossible"... ffs its just a football team. If he was good enough (ie. top level, Champions League winning material, not just mid-table, honest, difficult to beat) he wouldn't have lost the dressing room, simple.

While we're waiting...

One of the really interesting things over the first couple of weeks of the new manager will be to see who he fancies.  I got the feeling Tim was shutting out the players he supposedly 'didn't buy' and sticking overly long with his choices in order to prove his point (much as Moaninho does).  From that Mail article a while back, Sherwood's picks were Richards, Lescott, Gestede and Gana - all have played the majority of games.

The new manager knows this is it for the squad for the next few months so will only pick on form (and formation) without any baggage.  There are no injuries so we should hopefully see a bit more from those who've only been bit part players so far.  I don't think we'll see Lescott for a while, Gestede as a plan B (when we actually play to his strengths), etc.  Ilori seems £1m flushed down the bog  so far - how can he not be fit after 12 weeks?

Anyway - I'm again excited about the possibilities.

Sidalcock.

You say United was hard after Fergie......an awful lot easier than what he'd face here I'd say !

I agree with some of your reasons for Moyes, but I don't think it's all that rosy. He isn't, by a long way, a known quantity. Regardless of the reasons why, he hasn't had much joy for a good while, his football is very dour, he is, arguably, a bit out of date, and so on.

I don't like him, but I'd see merit in him getting the job, I don't think his credentials put him in front of others though.

Exactly my position on Moyes.

Moyes should be the No.1 and ONLY choice at this time. It should be his job to turn down.

A manager who (presumably) would have been sacked from his last two jobs would be the only choice?

Yes.

The United job was impossible after Ferguson and I'd suggest that the issues at United were as much at board level where Woodward replaced Gill. 

Also - Moyes had an almost identical record to van Gaal after 50 United games. The only difference was - Moyes spent 200m LESS.

What I'm suggesting is that 'the right appointment' is more important than 'a quick appointment'. And I'm making a case for why Moyes would be a good fit for Villa.

In transfer terms, we operate at a certain level in terms of the calibre of player we can attract; 

Again - Moyes signed Cahill, Lescott, Baines, Jagielka, Pienaar, Coleman, Arteta, Howard ... from lesser clubs.

That is the same level Villa are at - signing potential, so Moyes is worth considering.

If you consider this from Moyes' point of view - 3 of Villas next 4 games are Spurs, City and Everton.  

In that exact same period, 3 of Sociedads next 4 games are against Celta Vigo, Sevilla and Barcelona.

The landscape could look entirely different in a few weeks time. And things could pan-out in Villa's favour. 

For the right, long term appointment - there is merit in waiting to see what happens with Moyes situation...  

And for that reason I believe villa will try and wait as much as possible especially as there are 2 more games before international break.

It seems that Garde fits the template with his Arsenal connections along with his willingness to promote young players,work on a tight budget and accept the sale of his best players.

But his experience of the PL is less than that of our departed manager and he has been out of the game for some time now.

I think we need an experienced PL manager now to try to turn things around. It would be Moyes for me if we could tempt him to join what appears to be a sinking ship and one where he cannot make the decisions on who we sign and who we keep. If not, Rodgers might consider an earlier return than he had planned but I think the decision has been made.

We have a poor record when it comes to making such decisions in recent years but this one really needs to be the right one. Possibly the current Chelsea manager might see this as a suitable challenge should he become available shortly? [emoji3]    

Why is Premier League experience, specifically, important? What makes this league so special?

I mean despite all the money floating around in it, were pretty shit in Europe. Those fancy inexperienced foreign managers appear to have our number.

We took a risk appointing Tim given he had only had a few games in charge at Spurs. We would be taking a similar risk in appointing someone who has been not working as a manager for some time now. Garde may prove to be an inspired choice but I think given our present position we need to look at someone like Moyes who could hit the ground running, who knows the league well and who kept Everton near the top under similar budget constraints as he would face with us. I just think that appointment would be a lower risk to us. PL experience is not the be all and end all but I think it might help in our situation.    

John-I understand where you are coming from but Moyes took 2 years to get going at Everton. The second season was particularly poor which saw them fighting relegation. He had a slow start at Man U and has also been poor in Spain. I'm not convinced that he would hit the ground running here. We need some wins, we are not in a position to grind out draws to ensure safety. With the technical players that we have, I think it could be less of a gamble to go with Garde. If I'm honest, whoever we appoint will be a gamble but not as bigger gamble as sticking with Sherwood. We have a fighting chance with a new manager but a lot will also depend on how Newcastle & Sunderland shape up. Not all 3 of us are going to survive.

You are right whoever we appoint will be a gamble and I worry that we have not got a great record when it comes to making such choices.

Relegation wise Newcastle and Sunderland along with Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford are the five clubs who along with us I see in the bottom 6 at the end of the season. Three of those will survive and at present Corals have us at 4/9 to be relegated with only Sunderland as more likely to do so. Bookies are not often wrong but I hope they are this time. 

I see Stuart Pearce has said that we should go for Dyche on Talksport this afternoon who he rates as the best manager outside of our present division.  .   

My only concern with Moyes is that we don't really have the personnel to play an effective 4-4-2.

That's bs, amavi, Clark, Richards, Hutton,

Then gana and Westwood holding with grealish and either Gil, sinclar or adama with ayew playing off gestede, that's more than good enough and you still have veretout, Sanchez, bacuna, lescott, lliorii God say it Richardson and more and that can all change in Jan with the right investment. I've said all season we should play 4_4_2.

While we're waiting...

One of the really interesting things over the first couple of weeks of the new manager will be to see who he fancies.  I got the feeling Tim was shutting out the players he supposedly 'didn't buy' and sticking overly long with his choices in order to prove his point (much as Moaninho does).  From that Mail article a while back, Sherwood's picks were Richards, Lescott, Gestede and Gana - all have played the majority of games.

The new manager knows this is it for the squad for the next few months so will only pick on form (and formation) without any baggage.  There are no injuries so we should hopefully see a bit more from those who've only been bit part players so far.  I don't think we'll see Lescott for a while, Gestede as a plan B (when we actually play to his strengths), etc.  Ilori seems £1m flushed down the bog  so far - how can he not be fit after 12 weeks?

What happens if the new man comes in and plays the same players that Sherwood had, with the same results? What next? It could be possible that the new signings are not good enough and will contribute to our downfall via poor performance. I think it would be wrong of everyone to assume that these players are all going to suddenly become excellent and shoot us up the league. They may yet turn out to be duds although, I hope they aren't.

My only concern with Moyes is that we don't really have the personnel to play an effective 4-4-2.

That's bs, amavi, Clark, Richards, Hutton,

Then gana and Westwood holding with grealish and either Gil, sinclar or adama with ayew playing off gestede, that's more than good enough and you still have veretout, Sanchez, bacuna, lescott, lliorii God say it Richardson and more and that can all change in Jan with the right investment. I've said all season we should play 4_4_2.

This is an incredibly weak team, that'll get overrun even by your average championship team. 

Why do people keep saying "the United job was impossible"... ffs its just a football team. If he was good enough (ie. top level, Champions League winning material, not just mid-table, honest, difficult to beat) he wouldn't have lost the dressing room, simple.

It's worth noting that I'd take "mid table, honest, difficult to beat" any day of the week!

Our last manager was "bottom of the table, dishonest, piss easy to beat"

• Like 3

While we're waiting...

What happens if the new man comes in and plays the same players that Sherwood had, with the same results? What next? It could be possible that the new signings are not good enough and will contribute to our downfall via poor performance. I think it would be wrong of everyone to assume that these players are all going to suddenly become excellent and shoot us up the league. They may yet turn out to be duds although, I hope they aren't.

If the new managers comes in and plays the same tactics as Sherwood (no tactic, not having a game plan, changing everything for every game) then I will want him fired. if the manager has a game plan and tries to implement it and he seems reasonable and the results stay the same, then the players obviously just aren't good enough and changes should be done in the squad rather than the manager. 

A little twisted, defeated, warped part of me would like it to be Redknapp.

It would just be the absolutely perfectly diabolical grinding of my love for the Club into the undiluted faeces of disenchantment - I really struggle to think of anything more grimly and sickeningly appalling to round off what can only be described as " the years of crap".

In addition, it would inevitably unite these boards, AND remove the need for Randy to sell (as liquidation is simpler).

Candleface IN !

To be fair, Redknapp would try quite a few different combinations. 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 5-3-2.... but ultimately when the safe still doesn't open he'll **** off again.

• Like 1