Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Look through the eyes of an experienced 'neutral' player. You've got three possible motivations; money (most), chances of success/ Euros (a lot) and the underperforming and just want to play (a few). We will be unwilling/unable to compete with few in the money bracket, we can offer far less than other struggling teams in the chance to shine bracket so will have to look largely at that small window of just wanting to play. Otherwise it's unknowns/untested again.

Remy, Falcao are nice dreams but fall in to money bracket (wages plus possible sign on if permanent) so never going to happen. Austin will either wait 6 months for the money motivation of choose a struggling team that have a better chance of survival, Newcastle being obvious choice. Naismith seems to fit in to that rare last category of just wanting to play so is most realistic. 

I think a few people might be disappointed with our transfer business. Even if Lerner does sanction moves, it's going to be incredibly hard to convince anyone looking for money or the chance to shine to come to Villa. As a neutral player you'd choose safer bet of Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea even arguably Bournemouth.

• Like 1

I just happen to think we have too many small (in stature) players.

i hope in the Jan window we sign players  bit bigger.

an if we emulate Stoke, Watford, Leicester, West Ham, Southampton,crystal palace and even Bournemouth, with some of their signings....... we may have the slimmest of chances.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I just happen to think we have too many small (in stature) players.

i hope in the Jan window we sign players  bit bigger.

an if we emulate Stoke, Watford, Leicester, West Ham, Southampton,crystal palace and even Bournemouth, with some of their signings....... we may have the slimmest of chances.

Must admit I thought exactly that at the game yesterday. West Ham looked huge in comparison. 

6 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I think a few people might be disappointed with our transfer business. Even if Lerner does sanction moves, it's going to be incredibly hard to convince anyone looking for money or the chance to shine to come to Villa. As a neutral player you'd choose safer bet of Newcastle, Sunderland, Swansea even arguably Bournemouth.

That is a further reason why the next couple of games are so crucial. We beat Norwich and Sunderland and we would quite likely be above Sunderland and with in a handful of points of a couple of other teams. Suddenly we look like a team that could stay up rather than one that has no chance.

For so many reasons we have to win these next two games not just the obvious of starting to catch those above us. It means Lerner may be prepared to gamble some substantial funds to keep us up and it means potential signings see us as a much better prospect. If though when the transfer window opens we are more than 6 points from safety you can forget Lerner gambling big money and you can forget any decent player taking a gamble on a side totally cut adrift.

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

Must admit I thought exactly that at the game yesterday. West Ham looked huge in comparison. 

We simply don't have enough individual power.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

except Lescott, Gestede, Richards and Kozak the rest of our outfield players are quite small. Sanchez and Hutton are not exactly giants but they are probably next biggest

Bacuna is 6ft 2, Ayew is 6ft 1 I think, Okore 6ft. I think where our problem lies is midfield, we could do with some height in there, however it isn't the be all and end all. 

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you could probably put together a very good team of Premier League signings that cost a total of about 30 million that were all gettable at the time

Arnautovic, Schmeichel, Mahrez, Vardy, Bojan, Dann

Yeah but there are tons of cheap failures too, more so than successes I'd imagine. You take a risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

Just now, lexicon said:

Yeah but there are tons of cheap failures too, more so than successes I'd imagine. You take a risk, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. 

yeah but it seems to work for everybody but us

our bargains are Bowery, Sylla, Dawkins and Holman :P

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not really that was a good deal for us but think its a bit overrated on here

as much as I loved Carew he wasnt a brilliant striker goals wise. Career wise him and Baros have similar strike records

Baros was absolutely awful for us though - which is why it was such a good deal. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

not really that was a good deal for us but think its a bit overrated on here

as much as I loved Carew he wasnt a brilliant striker goals wise. Career wise him and Baros have similar strike records

Carew was great for us. Bargain

• Like 1