Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

10 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

The Austin thing was a total non starter. There was an article in the London Evening Standard before the window opened that categorically stated that Austin was not interested in any of the attention being shown from the clubs in relegation trouble.

Summer window? 

Because we weren't exactly in relegation trouble at that point, plus, with the (gross) money spent we could have probably pitched different vision to him, if we'd have tried, which it appears we didn't.

weve been in relegation trouble for a few seasons now, it was just a matter of time before we actually had no way of clawing out of the relegation zone, this club has not been appealing for a few years now.

seems Arsenal's Mathieu Debuchy might be heading to Germany, after it appeared Aston Villa are not keen on paying his loan fee.

In the past couple of weeks, Debuchy has been heavily linked with a loan move to Aston Villa, and he also admitted talking to Aston Villa manager Remi Garde over the phone about a possible loan move.

Debuchy: "Aston Villa are in great difficulty, and that's why I'm taking time before making a decision. They're a big English club, and I'm not ruling out the possibility. I have also talked to Remi Garde over the phone."

According to Calciomercato, Aston Villa are not prepared to pay Debuchy's 'buyout clause', and he could now accept the offer from Bayer Leverkusen. We'd like to believe by 'buyout clause' they mean loan fee, as The Telegraph also confirmed the same yesterday.

Reports suggest Aston Villa are reluctant to pay huge amounts in the transfer window this month, as they're already preparing for relegation. Arsenal are demanding a loan fee of £1.25 million, which is proving to be a stumbling block for Aston Villa, as they've also pulled out of a loan deal to sign Bordeaux defender Lamine Sané.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/arsenal-star-ready-to-accept-transfer-to-bundesliga

I think the board are preparing for life in the Championship. By that I mean, they aren't buying any players now and will simply look to sell our most valuable assets in the summer before replacing them with players from the lower leagues around Europe. 

One thing they need to remember, Aston Villa will be seen as the biggest club in that league and clubs will add a few more quid on to the asking price of any players we chase after. 

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In the summer he'd have been £15m and £100k a week

£100k is a bit of an exaggeration.

But given some of our lads are apparently on up to £70k I think signing a forward who'd score you goals to stay up is more than worth it. 

• Like 1

It's clear we need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.

It's also clear that Kozak and Gestede, whilst being picked are not good enough to win us games and the likes of Gabby and Sinclair are not making the team (the latter is at least making the bench but with little or no impact on appearance)

Garde has got us playing better, we're more sound defensively and we're now creating chances - the one thing we miss now is a striker (or two).

Looking at yesterday's result was most definitely two points dropped due to an inability to take chances and we created plenty.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Too much for someone who, at the margin, isn't going to offer a huge deal. 

I tend to agree.  Richards should be played rb going forward.  Looked ok yesterday.  Striker is obvious 

• Like 1

In the summer he'd have been £15m and £100k a week

£100k is a bit of an exaggeration.

But given some of our lads are apparently on up to £70k I think signing a forward who'd score you goals to stay up is more than worth it. 

That's his rumoured Southampton wages

I'm confused with the board for not going out and getting a striker in now. Some may say they're preparing for the championship. Do they not realise we'll need a new striker in that league too? WHY WAIT TILL SUMMMER!? 

Edited by Lord Willard

14 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm confused with the board for not going out and getting a striker in now. Some may say they're preparing for the championship. Do they not realise we'll need a new striker in that league too? WHY WAIT TILL SUMMMER!? 

Exactly. I think both both Gastede and Kozak are very poor. The idea that that they will be good enough for the Championship does that league a disservice IMO. 

Without going over Gastede's records again, his last season for Blackburn was an exception rather than the rule given his career as a whole. 

There is no way I would want to go into a championship season with 2 strikers that couldn't get half a dozen goals between them the season before (I know there is still a few months of this season remaining but I'd be staggered if either score many more).

Both need replacing. 

Edited by av1

It's frustrating that we didn't source a striker at the start of the window. With a proven finisher we could arguably be 4 points better off now. In hindsight, Leicester and WBA were both winnable games had we somebody on the pitch to put the ball in the net. Ayew looks good but badly needs support in the final third. If Sinclair isn't the right option for Garde then let's sell him and get somebody else in. Gestede will probably be out for a couple of weeks and Kozak isn't anywhere close to finding any form. It's so obvious it's ridiculous!

If we don't get anybody in it'll be a disgrace. A mobile decent striker would've got us another 3/4 pts this window alone and could still get us back in the fight even now. I understand not gambling too much but we will need a striker in the summer anyway so why not try to get one now?? 

8 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I'm confused with the board for not going out and getting a striker in now. Some may say they're preparing for the championship. Do they not realise we'll need a new striker in that league too? WHY WAIT TILL SUMMER!? 

Because players nearly always cost more in January? Because we're bottom of the league and clubs know they can squeeze us for money as we're desperate? Because what decent player would come to a team almost nailed on to be relegated knowing not only would they not be playing Premier League football next season, but they'd more than likely have to take a pay cut too?

There are a number of reasons why. I'd like to think the club have identified targets but can't get them in due to the position we find ourselves. All we can hope for is to get some loans in. That's what we should be concentrating on in my opinion. Save proper transfers for the summer when we know what league we'll be playing in and get a couple of wunderkinds in from foreign leagues, preferably a playmaker and a goal scorer.