Your three favorite books since 1970 ...

Marka Ragnos

Fiction. Non-fiction. Any language. Anything.

But it has to have been first published no earlier than 1970. Feel free to break the rules -- you will anyway!

My three:

The Life & Times of Michael K (JM Coetzee)

The Scramble for Africa (Thomas Pakenham)

Bad Behavior (Mary Gaitskill)

Edited by Plastic Man

Off the top of my head (the list would probably change daily)

The Age of Capital - Eric Hobsbawn - one of a very small number I will read and read again and go to as a sort of reference book

He Kills Coppers - Jake Arnott - just a good old retro pulp 60's stylee british gangster caper (see also The Long Firm)

Perfume- Patrick Suskind - just really enjoyed it

I have no discernible taste when it comes to books, other than a love of disposable brit pulp (Colin MacInnes - absolute hero) I like to keep it varied. Don't really do much horror, war or sci fi. Though having said that, I have had flings with Sven Hassel and Isaac Asimov. I guess they were an easy entry into books for someone that started a bit late.  

Next weekend we are having one of 'our' paperback culls.

So that doesn't include anything by my favourite author. 

For me then its 

micro Michael Crichton
The day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Papillon - Henri Charriere which just gets in

Maybe theres better ones i forgot but haven't read for a few years and the only authors i read were Crichton, Chris Cleeve and Grisham so no really a current expert.

• Like 1

Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti

Filth by Irvine Welsh

Been meaning to read more Irvine Welsh. Really dug Glue and I bought Acid House. The movie adaptation of Filth was great ^^.

So that doesn't include anything by my favourite author. 

For me then its 

micro Michael Crichton
The day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Papillon - Henri Charriere which just gets in

Maybe theres better ones i forgot but haven't read for a few years and the only authors i read were Crichton, Chris Cleeve and Grisham so no really a current expert.

I quite liked Micro, it's a bit like Honey I Shrunk The Kids meets Jurassic Park.  I believe Crichton died before he finished it though.  Up until a few years ago I barely read at all, then one day I picked up The Ghost by Robert Harris and it sparked my interest in reading.  It's got such a great twist in it.  I don't read any high-end stuff, mainly detective series/novels and it's hard to choose one over the other.

Oh go on I'll play but I had to check the published date on one of them and ruled lots of others out from the previous 2 decades

Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon

Wasp Factory - Iain Banks

Boiling a Frog - Christopher Brookmyre

• Like 4

Â