Your three favorite books since 1970 ...

Marka Ragnos

Back in my commuting days I used to read about 4 books a week  , some I have gone back to and re-read , some I struggle to recall anything about them , some (Lord of the rings ,  take a bow) I never finished  (yeah I'm a heathen I know)

So I've read thousands of books and I couldn't say definitively  that  they were my favourite 3  of all time ( ask me the same question in a months time and I'd probably give you a different answer ) but  here are today's nominations

1) Ballard of the Whiskey Robber

it's just an entertaining almost farcical story of the worlds most incompetent robber ..being chased by the worlds most incompetent police force (it seems)  ...  both funny and sad in it's own way and a really enjoyable read

2) The Faithful spy

the first in a series of books as it turned out ..it's your typical beach read , American hero saves the planet , is a better shot than anyone else on the planet , is tougher than anyone else on the planet etc etc  ....  I just thought it was a fast paced well written book  and I've enjoyed the whole series all in all 

Never really got into the Jack Reacher books , but I guess they are similar characters if you wanted a comparison  , think of these as the thinking mans  Reacher but better written

3) Fist of God

I read this when it first came out and it seemed a good piece of fiction set against the Gulf war ... I re-read it 15 years later and some of it is a bit dated (technology needless to say has moved a tvery fast pace)  ... but it's still a very good book , you'd like to imagine that some of the secret stuff is based on true events and he's been given some inside information 

Edited by tonyh29

read for my dissertation and actually made a 16k word essay on the chinese economy and their construction market pretty fascinating - 

0achinesedream.jpg

probably one of those things that went out of date around 2 months after it was published though

51FrooDDQ2L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

no one does it better than kershaw IMO

46555.jpg

So that doesn't include anything by my favourite author. 

For me then its 

micro Michael Crichton
The day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Papillon - Henri Charriere which just gets in

Maybe theres better ones i forgot but haven't read for a few years and the only authors i read were Crichton, Chris Cleeve and Grisham so no really a current expert.

I quite liked Micro, it's a bit like Honey I Shrunk The Kids meets Jurassic Park.  I believe Crichton died before he finished it though.  Up until a few years ago I barely read at all, then one day I picked up The Ghost by Robert Harris and it sparked my interest in reading.  It's got such a great twist in it.  I don't read any high-end stuff, mainly detective series/novels and it's hard to choose one over the other.

yes somebody else finished it but I wouldn't have known at the time. I just loved the book. I thought State of fear was crap but there again I don't agree with Crichton's views on global warming. 

46555.jpg

Great shout. Re-read it again recently and it's still as fresh as the first time I came across it while at college in the 80's.

Still got the smiley badge somewhere :)

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

46555.jpg

Great shout. Re-read it again recently and it's still as fresh as the first time I came across it while at college in the 80's.

Still got the smiley badge somewhere :)

I finally got around to watching the film the other week  ... a far better comic book film than the dross marvel dish up .. hated the ending though

• Like 1

Too hard to pick 3. So I won't.  [emoji3]

Just break the rules ... name twenty, all from the 18th century, if you want. It's the internet! No one cares. [emoji3]

But that would be the "Do you read?" thread.

• Like 1

woah! woah! woah!

woah!

'favourite books', nobody said you have to read them

You mean like books you stand on to reach the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard if your name is OBE *

* or was it sitdownpotatohead that is the short bloke , I always confuse them even though I've met them both  ..mind you I though Brumerican was Out before Easter on Tuesday night (sorry Karl , hence the beard comment )   ..let's just say I'm not good at names and leave it at that 

• Like 1

Â