Your three favorite books since 1970 ...

Marka Ragnos

Too hard to pick 3. So I won't.  [emoji3]

Just break the rules ... name twenty, all from the 18th century, if you want. It's the internet! No one cares. [emoji3]

But that would be the "Do you read?" thread.

Good point. Follow the rules, peeps!

• 4 months later...

Phew, tricky to stick to three, although there were a lot of rejects due to being 1960s. I'll spread them about a bit as well:

Louis De Berniers - The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts (Don't be fooled by that Correlli nonesense, the boy can really write)

John Maxwell Coetzee - Diary of a Bad Year (or pretty much anything he's written, really)

Willy Russell - The Wrong Boy. (The only novel he wrote, I think. Quite the masterpiece, although with very wide of the mark sleeve notes on some copies, describing this tragedy as 'laugh out loud funny')

• 6 years later...
5 hours ago, useless said:

Can't think of many recent books I've read, most are from first half of the last century or Victorian age, am going to try and read some more recent ones, as well as some older than the 1800s.

For the older ones was going to try and give The Odyssey, Divine Comedy, Shakespeare, and Tristram Shandy a go. Tristram Shandy I've already read some of and liked it, and in some ways seemed more modern than it's publication date, the others I will give a go but seem more daunting because of the archaic language.

Edited by useless

I’m sure I could write a different list every day  , but todays entries

The Fist of God by Frederick Forsyth, was a great read at the time loosely  based around real characters and events of the gulf war  …I’d probably need to read it again to see how badly it’s dated .

Oliver Cromwell by James Buchan  … one of the best historical books I’ve read about one of the key people  in English history.

Ballard of the Whisky Robber - Julian Rubinstein … a story of an incompetent bank robber that sounds so incredible you’d hardly believe it to be true … for a long time it was rumoured a film would be made with Johnny Depp playing the lead !

This thread actually makes me a little sad because I used to read 2 or 3 books a week before lockdown, as soon as I was working from home, I found it impossible to read after I finished work, I've started a few books since and often just lose interest halfway through.

This is also a tough question because most of the books that I would consider favourites are from before 1970, I love Shirley Jackson, John Steinbeck and Vladimir Nabokov and people like that.

After 1970....I dunno, The Exorcist is one of my favourite books of all time, I'd probably just have to throw in something like IT by Stephen King and maybe The Rats by James Herbert.

I really enjoyed reading this.

51AVlW-rAKL.jpg

Traces threads of the African American experience through different time periods. From colonialism in Nigeria, through slavery, emancipation, segregation and finally our main protagonist (presumably the author) as a student at Princeton.

Excellent writing and extremely powerful.

11 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am going to give this a go,  looks really good.

Just downloaded it.

It is a most excellent book. A modern classic that launched Iain Banks' career. I can't vouch for his Science FIction (Written as Iain M Banks) but most of his straight fiction is brilliant. There are a couple that are mediocre but never bad. The Wasp Factory though is the stand-out one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is impossible. Although most of my favourites would predate 1970, there are still dozens, scores, maybe hundreds from the post-70 era with a claim. So I'll just throw three examples out there: 

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow 

William T. Vollman - Europe Central 

Jonathan Franzen - The Corrections 

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

It is a most excellent book. A modern classic that launched Iain Banks' career. I can't vouch for his Science FIction (Written as Iain M Banks) but most of his straight fiction is brilliant. 

The science fiction ones are really good. 

Â