The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Not sure how to link this as the webpage is hidden behind the paywall. I got it from Apple news

Boris Johnson is facing a revolt by up to 30 Tory MPs over plans that would break international law and allow him to renege on parts of his Brexit deal.

The rebels have tabled an amendment that would bar the government from overriding the withdrawal agreement without parliament’s support.

The government is also facing opposition from peers. Lord Howard of Lympne, a prominent Brexiteer, became the third former Tory leader to reject the plans, warning that they would damage Britain’s global standing.

Lord Howard called it a “sad day” for the country. He told Times Radio: “It’s very bad because it damages our reputation for probity and the rule of law. To hear a minister say at the dispatch box you are passing legislation in breach of international law is a very sad day — I never dreamt I’d hear a minister, still less a Conservative minister, say such a thing.”

He said peers “would not be deterred from doing the right thing” by talk of reforming the Lords to strengthen the government’s position, and that its actions over the withdrawal agreement “go to a question of trust” in Boris Johnson’s administration.

From the Times

So best case scenario, with the "up to" caveat noted, 8% of Tory MPs are willing to speak out against violating our treaty obligations.

92% think alienating our allies, violating our agreements, and making it significantly harder to negotiate *any* trade deals is a price worth paying to stick it to the EU. What a **** joke. 

Makes you laugh. He called the GE and got rid of any MPs that disagreed with him before, and now he has even more MPs disagreeing with him.

Even in his sycophantic bubble of MPs, there are revolts.

Unable to govern. 

The public get bored easily. This tory government has recognised that, and have used it quite effectively; they don't bother with covering up scandals anymore, they just brazenly wait it out until people get bored.

We've collectively just had enough of Brexit and Covid,. pretend it''s not happening, and are waiting for something more interesting to pop up on the news. BLM was new and interesting. A lot of supporters of that will have stopped giving enough of a shit in a few months though.

See also: Climate change.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Funny to think about where all that went really. Rare to see a political cause that gets half a million people on the streets of London vanish in a puff of smoke, while also getting absolutely none of what it demanded.

image.jpeg.b9dd552e0ace2c2c08562e007b030843.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Eh . . . I don't think Stop The War did disappear in the same way. In fact, they are kind of an opposite example, in that even after the war started, the protests continued and the organisation still did a lot.

I was more thinking around how the protest was ignored but people have been protesting Brexit for years as well. However there was a decisive decision on that which halted the momentum for a period, though I think people would likely be back out again protesting these latest developments if it wasn’t for COVID. 

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

As said in this tweet, there should be no surprise about this at all:

It was inevitable. I dread to think what rights we are going to be stripped of as a result of this.

And the worst of it is there are legions of working people cheering this like it's a huge victory for them 

• Like 1

Have they worked out that they'll be kicked out of the Council of Europe yet?

That'll be us, Belarus and the Vatican as the only recognised countries in Europe not part of the CoE

Especially emabarrasing as we're one of the 10 founding members

Â