The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I know I keep going on about it, but check how it worked! (Apologies for the long thread, but it's worth it to understand the stupidity of the system)

So what's the most plausible reason I've seen so far for how they might have ended up choosing to round down, not round up?

Good job it doesn't matter for anything.

• Like 1

I would just say that over here we have a Labour Government with autonomy on Education, Gavin Williamson and Boris Johnson have no say on our education policy. Labour have a free hand. They have done the exact same thing.

If someone could point this out to Keir Starmer, I’d appreciate it.

This shouldn’t be party political, The SNP, The Tories and Labour have all bought in to the same algorithm. 

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I would just say that over here we have a Labour Government with autonomy on Education, Gavin Williamson and Boris Johnson have no say on our education policy. Labour have a free hand. They have done the exact same thing.

If someone could point this out to Keir Starmer, I’d appreciate it.

This shouldn’t be party political, The SNP, The Tories and Labour have all bought in to the same algorithm.

I think that's right, though with the qualification that with AS Levels still counting for 40% of the total and a commitment for students not to get a lower overall grade than their AS Level grade, the 'prediction' part of the input should have been somewhat more accurate and there is a better fail-safe mechanism which should have avoided people being predicted C's and actually being awarded U's.

I accept that this is more by luck than judgement on Welsh Labour's part, but they have also done better by not going along with Michael Gove's bizarre and stupid idea that the entirety of an A Level should be determined on one morning in an exam hall.

• Like 1

Yes, they’ve definitely been proven right to resist the 100% ‘rigour’ of a one off exam.

As well as the AS, they also shoehorned in the Welsh Bacc., heavily criticised at the time as a glorified Scout’s badge because it included having to do some form of charity / community work and various other activities such as public speaking or building a website, that weren’t Latin and Applied Tax Evasion.

Most of the marks for that were already locked in as it’s continual assessment, which has given some kids much needed extra UCAS points. 

So for my nipper as an example, the predicted B/C in Biology became a D, whereas the Welsh Bacc was 75% complete and on an A, so that was an A.

They could, I guess, get the D reverted to the B/C of the AS exam but it’s not relevant to the Uni course or the direction of travel so I don’t see that happening unless the school pick up some sort of ‘class action’ appeal on the kids’ behalf.

That decision on reverting to AS grades, was announced after 5:00pm on Wednesday 12th. It was never part of the plan until they saw the kicking Sturgeon was getting.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That decision on reverting to AS grades, was announced after 5:00pm on Wednesday 12th. It was never part of the plan until they saw the kicking Sturgeon was getting.

The purest demonstration that none of them knew or understood the algorithm they were entrusting so many people's fate to is that they only started to worry about it after they saw it go wrong in Scotland, and the surest I've been that it would be a disaster in England was when the Tories got all smug about Scotland, slightly before the worrying began.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisVillan said:

"And at the end of it all they'll get voted in again."

Said something similar way back in the virus thread. 

Nothing will **** change. And to me that's the most soul crushing thing about it all. 

The same people who came out for a clap won't give a shit next time we get to vote these words removed out. 

Anybody seen a "What's the point in sending kids to school if they are going to get shit grades anyway" comment anywhere?

It's bound to be coming shortly

And quite frankly there's actually some logic in it

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Anybody seen a "What's the point in sending kids to a school which doesn't cost thousands of pounds per term if the free ones aren't going to be rigged to avoid the shit grades anyway" comment anywhere?

FTFY

Edited by ml1dch
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

FTFY

Well yes it was kinda implied :mrgreen:, you could have added down that there south too, as I believe there are some Independant Schools oop norf that haven't faired particularly well out of this either

The more I think about this, the more it's the Tories sticking two fingers up at everyone. If there was any doubt in anyone's minds before (not mine) they really don't give a shit about anyone, then it should be dawning on them today.

They knew this was coming. Scotland and Sturgeon's U-Turn told them that. At least she had the good sense to apologise and go hang on, this is wrong, sorry, we'll get back to you. This lot already knew that the A level results would play out this way. ANd they did nothing. They could have nipped this in the bud before it started. Even as late as yesterday they could have done that. Sorry, we've discovered an awful mistake in the way the A-Level results have been calculated. Stopped it and gone back to the drawing board (Or the teachers predicted grades like Scotland did) BUT THEY CHOSE NOT TOO

The screams will be louder again next week when the GCSE results come out. But its not just those two academic years Parents, Uncles, Gannies (if the Tories haven't already killed them), it's about six years or more of parents that are going to be absolutely fuming or bloody shitting themselves over their childrens future. It's not just the current two Exam year kids, its the year below too that will be immediately affected, then you've got the kids going to choose their option in the coming academic year (thats five years already). The parents of Primary School kids will be wondering if they should move house so they can get their kids into a "better" school (more so than ever)

Essentially they've just f***ed an entire generation, seemingly overnght.

Thats one hell of a wider group of irate people. And on this issue, there is no underlying immigrants / race thing going on underneath that masks why people didn't make logical decisions for their support of the Tories at the ballot box. This might just be the tipping point issue if it carries on that does send the middle classes towards the now seemingly more moderate Labour Party under Kier Starmer, whose ratings are already above Johnson's

There's just no underlying issue here, they've f***ed over a generation of kids and the parents know it. Parents, are parents, their kids are the most important thing to the vast majority of them.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Said something similar way back in the virus thread. 

Nothing will **** change. And to me that's the most soul crushing thing about it all. 

The same people who came out for a clap won't give a shit next time we get to vote these words removed out. 

Yep. It’s utterly, utterly depressing.

I often wonder, where’s the line? After all the world-leading incompetence, all the genuine viciousness, spite, corruption and lies, what’s the tipping point before enough Tory voters think ‘Well this is a bit shit’? It feels like if it hasn’t already been reached countless times, then it never will be.

And the thing is, the words removed know that nothing sticks. They’re bulletproof to enough of the electorate. They either ride out the very brief storm or have enough of a distraction in hand.

It’s so partisan now and enough of the country seem to be either utter morons and/or complete pieces of shit, that I’m struggling to see how things can change.

8 hours ago, meregreen said:

Nothing is forever. We had 18 bloody years of the Tories from 79 to 97. People claimed we were stuck with them forever then, we weren’t. Just hope they’re out come the next election.

The only reason we had 18 years of the Tories back then was labours inability to get the right leader, Should’ve been easy against one of the most unpopular prime minister’s ever but they persevered with the likes of Foot, Although a brilliant man was never going to be Prime Minister, Kinnock,  Smith was the best  of them but sadly was taken early. The first time they got a candidate with a bit of the X Factor he got elected with a landslide and even then he was more Tory like than any other Labour leader had ever been

12 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The only reason we had 18 years of the Tories back then was labours inability to get the right leader, Should’ve been easy against one of the most unpopular prime minister’s ever but they persevered with the likes of Foot, Although a brilliant man was never going to be Prime Minister, Kinnock,  Smith was the best  of them but sadly was taken early. The first time they got a candidate with a bit of the X Factor he got elected with a landslide and even then he was more Tory like than any other Labour leader had ever been

That is a grossly over simplistic analysis of 18 years. Michael Foot was Labour Leader for 3 years and one election. Not only that you've described Thatcher as one of the most unpopular Prime Ministers ever. That simply isn't true, sure she had periods of unpopularity but the truth is, she wasn't that unpopular. She was an evil witch but much of the population didn't give a shit about the people she was shitting on and they loved her for going to war with Argentina (Just at a time when she was becoming unpopular!)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Oversimplistic is often the best way to describe the voting patterns of the masses. I stand by my comments 

That's the spirit. Shall we send you a flotilla of small boats?

Â