The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

For those hoping to get in to Uni, I think most Uni’s are taking a very pragmatic view.

Birmingham isn’t ‘doing’ clearing, they’re basically giving unconditionals to anyone that previously had a conditional.

The Uni my nipper had as first choice has actually been really very proactive and phoned here earlier to say relax, looking forward to seeing you in September.

• Like 1

I’d heard that because of this whole mess a lot of students were going to defer starting their degree a year. Not sure how much truth in that but if true the universities would be nervous about a drop on numbers in September.

Just now, Genie said:

I’d heard that because of this whole mess a lot of students were going to defer starting their degree a year. Not sure how much truth in that but if true the universities would be nervous about a drop on numbers in September.

People in the spring were saying this all the time, but what the **** else are they going to do? There are no jobs, and they sure as shit aren't going travelling. Maybe mum and dad don't mind Johnny playing Call of Duty in his bedroom all year, but that's the alternative.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

People in the spring were saying this all the time, but what the **** else are they going to do? There are no jobs, and they sure as shit aren't going travelling. Maybe mum and dad don't mind Johnny playing Call of Duty in his bedroom all year, but that's the alternative.

A colleague of mine was worried as his daughter will be going to Uni next September and the fear was a load would defer this year and create double demand next year. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Not sure this is going to be workable to be honest:

A-level results: Didn't get the grades you wanted? This is what to do next

[...]

'Appeal

Ofqual has warned that appealing against a grade will affect other students from the same school because of the rank order system.

It said if one student successfully appealed against their position in the rank order it would push another student down the ranking and they would then need to be allowed to appeal.

Students can ask the school to check if it made a mistake when submitting the grade or position in the rank order, and if it has then it can ask the exam board to correct it.'

from: https://news.sky.com/story/as-and-a-levels-what-are-your-options-if-you-do-not-get-the-results-you-wanted-12046680

I will be pretty surprised if this system makes it to 5 o'clock this afternoon without pretty major revision.

Well, it's one minute past 5, and it has in fact changed, though it appears that Sky got the initial story wrong:

Sounds like maybe they did a blanket downgrading/upgrading based on school standards and then they're relying on people appealing to look at things case by case? Probably less laborious for them than doing that in the first place for everyone.

I'm just speculating.

And it will, of course, hugely favour those who have benefited and obviously won't be appealing downwards.

In terms of Patel's comments, its just the usual puff and bluster that happens every 2 or so years on the same subject. Ultimately nothing will change. Just soundbites to appease their supporters. 

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

In terms of Patel's comments, its just the usual puff and bluster that happens every 2 or so years on the same subject. Ultimately nothing will change. Just soundbites to appease their supporters. 

I dunno. Previously you had relatively sensible people in charge who knew they had to say terrible things to keep their terrible supporters onside. 

Now the people who were once the terrible supporters are now the terrible people in charge. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You don't have to be rich to be privately educated. Eton is a mere 14k per term. Chicken feed :) 

Now you've reminded me of the time David Cameron described himself and SamCam as members of 'the sharp-elbowed middle classes'.

The more you read about the **** algorithm they used for these A level scores, the more wild it gets. It coudn't have been more laser-targeted at destroying the hopes of above-average-to-exceptional students at large schools in poorer areas:

If someone wrote a list of all that was going to happen in 2020 and said Pete, the thing you will get most pissed off about is a level results, I would have laughed. Yet here we are. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If someone wrote a list of all that was going to happen in 2020 and said Pete, the thing you will get most pissed off about is a level results, I would have laughed. Yet here we are. 

"And at the end of it all they'll get voted in again."

• Sad 1

Â