The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Gary Lineker has offered up his London home for migrants to live in after they cross the Channel -  calling out a Tory MP who accused him of virtue signalling.

Yesterday Ashfield MP Lee Anderson, 53, slammed the Match of the Day host for discussing the record number of migrants who have arrived in the UK on boats this year. 

But Lineker, 59, kicked him into touch after announcing online he had offered to house some through the charity Refugees At Home after being asked by one Twitter user about it.

A friend of the former England footballer told MailOnline: 'He is in the hands of the agency as to when this will happen.

‘I guess the question to Mr Anderson would be does he have any sympathies with the homeless?

‘If the answer is yes than why haven’t you offered your home to them?'

Heil

• Haha 1

How did they think massively down grading people’s grades would be ok? 
Is there not a single person with some sense to pipe up and say “I think this is gonna cause a massive shit storm, let’s have another look at it”.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

How did they think massively down grading people’s grades would be ok? 
Is there not a single person with some sense to pipe up and say “I think this is gonna cause a massive shit storm, let’s have another look at it”.

If you haven't noticed, this is completely in character.

That cabinet was chosen to not offer alternate views, they are all doing their masters bidding. That was a condition of getting the job. The lot of them are more interested in their careers in the Conservative Party than anything else. It is their first and only priority

The Cabinet does what it's told

The backbenchers follow suit as they'll get no progression unless they do

You really do have one man pulling the strings and it isn't someone who was elected

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

If you haven't noticed, this is completely in character.

That cabinet was chosen to not offer alternate views, they are all doing their masters bidding. That was a condition of getting the job. The lot of them are more interested in their careers in the Conservative Party than anything else. It is their first and only priority

The Cabinet does what it's told

The backbenchers follow suit as they'll get no progression unless they do

You really do have one man pulling the strings and it isn't someone who was elected

But nobody felt the need to mention it is destined for failure? They would have thousands of students protesting as their futures lay in tatters. It looks like court cases on the way too. 
On the morning of results day it was clear to me this was the start of an enormous shit storm. How could they not have predicted it?

First option: Give everybody their predicted grades. Downside, results averages will  be an outlier pretty much forever but at least every student has a score based on their performance and what their teachers think is accurate.

Second option: Make up some scores so that this years results are not too far out from historical averages. Downside, many of the students will be given a grade that doesn’t reflect their work or performance. It risks their ability to go on to further education or work and potentially ruins their lives. They are massively angry and aggrieved and will fight back. 

Hmmm, which do we think is the best option given the exceptional circumstances 🤔 

Edited by Genie

37 minutes ago, Genie said:

How could they not have predicted it?

Like I already said upthread. It was totally predictable. Scotland showed what was going to happen. I don't honestly believe they are that thick (well some of them maybe but not all)

That only leaves it being deliberate and they don't care as the logical outcome of your question

Just now, bickster said:

Like I already said upthread. It was totally predictable. Scotland showed what was going to happen. I don't honestly believe they are that thick (well some of them maybe but not all)

That only leaves it being deliberate and they don't care as the logical outcome of your question

Only semi-logical thing I could think of is it being a tactical distraction from Brexit and Covid.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Only semi-logical thing I could think of is it being a tactical distraction from Brexit and Covid.

Nah, they actually have support from parts of the country on that. This however... is a shit storm that really does impact on their voters, most of them.

Has their been an opinion poll published today I wonder? (not looked) I would imagine there'll definitely be one next weekend after the GCSEs, this is just starting

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

It was totally predictable.

It was both predictable and extremely accurately predicted. I read in the paper (Guardian page 13) yesterday that a father, worried about what would happen to his very bright son submitted evidence to the Gov't in July...

...Duong wondered what it would mean for Thanh and his classmates. Using what scant information Ofqual had made public on its methodology, and an understanding of statistics gained from his PhD in physics, he analysed the 2017-2019 A-level data for Matthew Arnold school.

With a little help from his sister, a statistician at the Medical Research Council, he came to the conclusion that that there was “virtually no chance of providing grades to the students in a way that satisfies the double criteria of being fair to the individuals and controlling grade inflation nationally”.

He warned the education select committee that 39% of grades between A* and D would be lower than the teacher assessments, and last week he shared his findings with the Guardian. He repeatedly sent emails to Ofqual only to receive a stock reply.

Publicly, Ofqual insisted that Duong was wrong. In what may now appear to be a carefully worded statement, a spokesperson said: “We expect the majority of grades students receive will be the same as their centre assessment grades.”

But on Thursday morning Ofqual admitted that nearly two in five (39.1%) pupils in the country saw their A-level grades downgraded from their teachers’ estimates. Duong had been bang on...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nah, they actually have support from parts of the country on that. This however... is a shit storm that really does impact on their voters, most of them.

Has their been an opinion poll published today I wonder? (not looked) I would imagine there'll definitely be one next weekend after the GCSEs, this is just starting

Two in the last 24 hours:

The Scottish one had fieldwork done before the A level story (ironically, the guy who runs that Twitter account seems to be caught up in the story himself as having failed to make his grades).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

They couldn’t organise a piss up in a brewery. 

they'll still win again due to 40% of the population voting for them regardless of what they do (or don't)

• Sad 1

Â