The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Do you think that has anything to do with it? It's almost certainly an attempt to deflect from poor leadership from the cabinet. Shit certainly does roll downhill when it comes to these ministers. 

Don’t know if it had anything to do with it, doubt it.

But if the mindset within PHE was to take PPE allocated for Wales and keep it for themselves at the expense of others, then it needs a major sort out.

Taking PPE off care workers In the middle of a pandemic, sorry, you can’t just say you were following orders.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This fudge is going to solve - or at least mitigate - one problem, which is the PR disaster from last week. The nightly news will now gradually drain of hard-luck stories from overachieving kids from less fortunate backgrounds, denied a place at Oxbridge.

However, what is going to replace that problem is a much bigger institutional problem, which will be less heart-rending but more damaging. Russell Group universities are now likely to go rapidly over capacity in their courses, and the unis that survive by picking students who have done badly during exams and go through clearing are going to be massively short on numbers. The chances are that the Tories will not adequately fund these unis, which may suddenly see a rapid shortfall in their accounts, and some of these institutions were in danger already.

Cambridge saying they made more conditional offers than there are places.

8 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Most unis do, counting on a certain proportion missing their target grades. Early signs are that they'll let students defer until next year. I suspect we have more gap year students than usual, not wanting to miss out on the real uni experience due to Covid, too. Next year is going to be very competitive.

Edited by Davkaus

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

All Universities do, every year because they know a percentage will not make their predicted grades. Thats the Universities problem of their own making.

Trouble is... I'm fairly sure they have a legally binding contract

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I suspect we have more gap year students than usual, not wanting to miss out on the real uni experience due to Covid, too. 

Perhaps.  But how are they planning on spending their year? Enjoying travelling the world, or dipping in and out of the thriving jobs market?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

Thats the Universities problem of their own making.

Tory love rat Gavin Williamson refuses to talk about his fling as ...

To give a more serious response: If this was a routine thing that happened each year, or was down to poor judgement by the universities, I'd agree. But they're extremely conservative (note the small c :) ), and it's a safe bet that not every student will succeed. A study a few years ago showed something like 75% of students get lower than their predicted grades. The only reason this has backfired is because they started making offers due to the government's insistence that their decision was final and would not be reversed. They're now in a very difficult position because we're governed by clowns.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

I reckon a magic 8 Ball would do a better job than this shower of shit to be honest.

How anyone could vote for these words removed after the past couple of years is beyond me.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I reckon a magic 8 Ball would do a better job than this shower of shit to be honest.

How anyone could vote for these words removed after the past couple of years is beyond me.

Never has the saying been more true: only millionaires and idiots vote Tory - check your bank account to find out which one you are.

• Like 2

Just now, NurembergVillan said:

Never has the saying been more true: only millionaires and idiots vote Tory - check your bank account to find out which one you are.

I've said it before, but I think there are a lot of people who think voting Tory is an aspiration. 

As in poor people vote Labour, and rich people vote Conservative. 

So voting Tory is almost like you've made it. You're rich enough to vote Tory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I don’t know which are more dangerous.  The ideological Tories that are knowingly trying to keep people down or the idiot Tories because there’s so effing many of them!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I've said it before, but I think there are a lot of people who think voting Tory is an aspiration. 

I read some research a while back that suggested this was absolutely true.

As I've opined previously, too much of society now is less about bettering yourself and more about keeping a foot on the head of those below you.

Blimey, you are a sad and bitter lot on here aren't you. Just take a look back at your posts.....the same individuals 

9 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I don’t know which are more dangerous.  The ideological Tories that are knowingly trying to keep people down or the idiot Tories because there’s so effing many of them!

Maybe 'they' are right and you are wrong?

Keep smiling,

VLD.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The old version is that people saw themselves as being more likely in the future to need a tax break to benefit the wealthy than they were to need unemployment benefit. 

The new version is probably the aspirational hope that one day, they too might meet the right person to get awarded a corrupt Government procurement contract. 

9 minutes ago, Graham t said:

Blimey, you are a sad and bitter lot on here aren't you. Just take a look back at your posts.....the same individuals 

Maybe 'they' are right and you are wrong?

Keep smiling,

VLD.

What have the Tories done in the last 10 years of power, talking tangible benefits; that:

1) Benefited you?

2) Benefited those less fortunate than you?

3) Benefited the nation as a whole?

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I wonder what a government Minister or Advisor would have to do these days to be sacked, or resign?

It is an interesting experiment in just how placid we are. Where’s the breaking point?

Bullying, nope.

Sitting on reports in the public interest, nope.

Potentially screwing up the future of millions of kids, nope.

Testing your eyesight via a 60 mile drive and lying about it, nope.

Rape allegation, nope.

You're right, I have no idea.

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Bullying, nope.

Sitting on reports in the public interest, nope.

Potentially screwing up the future of millions of kids, nope.

Testing your eyesight via a 60 mile drive and lying about it, nope.

Rape allegation, nope.

You're right, I have no idea.

I've got it - suggest that maybe Brexit might not be a wholly brilliant thing?

• Like 1

Â