The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

If true, it now means they don't actually control the committee. Which is pretty stupid of them

Having looked beyond Kuenssberg and her issues with reporting accurately,  it's definitely true.

I had read a suggestion that the chair needs to be a Conservative MP so it might just be a way to still get their man in. But that seems too ridiculous even for this burning clown car of a Government. 

Edited by ml1dch

17 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I had read a suggestion that the chair needs to be a Conservative MP so it might just be a way to still get their man in. But that seems too ridiculous even for this burning clown car of a Government. 

I don't think that is the case.

From what I've just looked at, the ISC doesn't come under the same standing order for election of chairs as the other committees (where the chairs are divided up between the parties). There's a separate standing order for the members of the ISC and the election of the chair is covered by the Justice and Security Act 2013 where it just says:

(6) A member of the ISC is to be the Chair of the ISC chosen by its members.

Edit: Obviously, I may have missed something, though.

Edited by snowychap
  • Thanks 1

The same day Boris was screaming at Starmer for opposing him and not coming together for the country, both sides of the aisle come together and the Tory is sacked.

I loathe these arseholes.

• Like 1

@ml1dch

So it may well be the case that the ISC chair doesn't have to be a Tory but that the Government can bin a select committee chair it sees fit (assuming its other backbenchers toe the line) even if the law directs that it's up to the members of that committee to elect the chair.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The same day Boris was screaming at Starmer for opposing him and not coming together for the country, both sides of the aisle come together and the Tory is sacked.

That was in the same set of PMQ answers where he again had the temerity to use the attack line of Starmer saying one thing one day and something else another day.

This from Johnson. Mr U-Turn, himself. Mr Two Columns.

It's just so utterly brazen.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chindie said:

300 pages of redactions or a single blank page? Place yer bets.

I have no idea what it will look like, but we can guarantee, as you've suggested, there will be something wrong with it that means the truth gets surpressed.

Everybody got their bingo cards ready?

New procedures already in place.

Lessons have been learned.

I welcome the report.

Exonerated.

Draw a line.

Move on. 

Leaves us with more questions than answers.

No smoking gun.

• Haha 2

I wasn’t really sure where best to put this one.

Shamima Begum has won a legal battle to be allowed to return home to fight the government's decision to remove her UK citizenship.

Ms Begum, now 20, was one of three schoolgirls who left London to join the Islamic State group in Syria in 2015. 

Her citizenship was revoked by the Home Office on security grounds after she was found in a refugee camp in 2019.

The Court of Appeal said she had been denied a fair hearing because she could not make her case from the camp.

The judgement means the government must now find a way to allow the 20-year-old to appear in court in London despite repeatedly saying it would not assist removing her from Syria. 

Daniel Furner, Ms Begum's solicitor, said: "Ms Begum has never had a fair opportunity to give her side of the story. She is not afraid of facing British justice, she welcomes it. But the stripping of her citizenship without a chance to clear her name is not justice, it is the opposite."

Ms Begum had argued that the government's decision to revoke her citizenship was unlawful because it left her stateless. 

Under international law, it is only legal to revoke someone's citizenship if an individual is entitled to citizenship of another country.

At a hearing at the Court of Appeal last month, her lawyer also argued that Ms Begum, who remains in the camp in northern Syria, could not effectively challenge the decision while she was barred from returning to the UK.

In February, a tribunal ruled that the decision to remove Ms Begum's citizenship was lawfulbecause she was "a citizen of Bangladesh by descent" at the time. 

Ms Begum is understood to have a claim to Bangladeshi nationality through her mother.

Link

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Good, it was absurd they de-citizenshipped her in the first place.

Disagree, or dislike what she did all you want, she's our issue and we need to review how British children are being radicalised on British soil.

I agree to be honest Stefan. Reading through that I thought that she’ll probably win her case too. Even if she loses, but she’s in the UK I doubt there will be a mechanism to remove her.

Wasnt she also under 18 when she left? Another reason I think stripping her of citizenship in those circumstances was wrong.

So if she does return she'll almost certainly be given a new identity I'd think (you'd have to assume she'd be a major target for certain folks) so what's that going to cost us?

At the risk of sounding like a Daily Heil reader I'd leave her where she is until she rots personally, there was not a modicum of remorse about her when she was interviewed some time back in the camp she's being held in.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Everybody got their bingo cards ready?

New procedures already in place.

Lessons have been learned.

I welcome the report.

Exonerated.

Draw a line.

Move on. 

Leaves us with more questions than answers.

No smoking gun.

redacted2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So if she does return she'll almost certainly be given a new identity I'd think (you'd have to assume she'd be a major target for certain folks) so what's that going to cost us?

At the risk of sounding like a Daily Heil reader I'd leave her where she is until she rots personally, there was not a modicum of remorse about her when she was interviewed some time back in the camp she's being held in.

Let her face justice here then. Removing her citizenship because we don't like what she did is just absurd. Where does that end? 

• Like 2

Â