The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

The govt are ending free parking for NHS staff at work. Just think what it would be like to do a 12 hour shift in a hospital then have to stick £37 of your day's pay in the ticket machine to get your car out of the car park.

For those who thought that this govt would find it impossible to impose a pay freeze on the NHS, this comes in the same week Boris threw care homes workers under the bus.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Straggler said:

The govt are ending free parking for NHS staff at work. Just think what it would be like to do a 12 hour shift in a hospital then have to stick £37 of your day's pay in the ticket machine to get your car out of the car park.

For those who thought that this govt would find it impossible to impose a pay freeze on the NHS, this comes in the same week Boris threw care homes workers under the bus.

Could they not just clap at the ticket machines?

It means more than money.

• Like 2

On 05/07/2020 at 13:04, HanoiVillan said:

Nevertheless, the SNP ride high in the polls. They will undoubtedly win a huge proportion of seats in the Holyrood elections next year, and then the trouble starts. Because what happens next? The independence movement will consider it a mandate for another referendum, but Sturgeon is cautious. The Tories will probably say no, and what then? She could hold one anyway, like Catalonia, but while that might put pressure on Westminster it wouldn't help Scotland rejoin the EU. Spain will already be a barrier, but there's no chance they will allow a Scotland that has unilaterally declared independence to join the EU.

The Tories have a stronger hand than people give them credit for IMO. I expect that they will simply refuse to countenance another referendum, safe in the knowledge that doing so maintains the SNP's hegemony north of the border and gives the Tories a huge advantage in Westminster elections.

Of relevance to the debate on Westminster v Scotland are the things in this thread:

You're right, obviously, that allowing a referendum is a matter for Westminster (or, as per my earlier post, simply the PM's office - be it Cummings/Johnson) but one wonders just how strained things could get if Westminster has to row back on various devolved matters to create this internal market that it looks like it might need for some (or just a specific) trade deal.

I think the difficulties will come for the Union in a post Johnson/Cummings administration and, due to the nature of how it will likely be played by the current government - with Gove especially trying to add as much fuel to the fire as possible, relations could be almost irrecoverablly poor.

Edited by snowychap

Says the MP who lives in Chelmsford but bills the taxpayer 21k per year for accommodation costs in London.

Low-income families are the problem though you callous witch. 

• Like 1

The most disgusting thing boris is doing is the treatment of nhs staff. Im working from home so doesnt apply to me but making staff having to pay for parking is a kick in the face. 

Between him and khan they really are spitting in nhs workers faces. Boris is going to get get the floor wiped with hkm at next election

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The most disgusting thing boris is doing is the treatment of nhs staff. Im working from home so doesnt apply to me but making staff having to pay for parking is a kick in the face. 

Between him and khan they really are spitting in nhs workers faces. Boris is going to get get the floor wiped with hkm at next election

I hate the parking thing. What annoys me more is the amount of people who seem to be taking the line of 'Well I pay for parking at work so why shouldn't they pay, ride a bike or take the bus'. Taking nothing away from the non frontline side of course, but I can't imagine working a stupidly long shift, losing a couple of patients then dragging yourself home on a bike or sitting on the bus surrounded by people. 

The attitude of anyone in the NHS who isn't a doctor or nurse is a drain on taxpayers funds is sickening as well. My own experience of the civil service tells me there are some bad people at the top but all public attitudes of constantly deriding everyone does is drives more and more people who care away. 

What has Sadiq Khan done? I didn't think he had any power over the NHS at all but its hard to tell with the overly complex organisational structures. 

15 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The attitude of anyone in the NHS who isn't a doctor or nurse is a drain on taxpayers funds is sickening as well. My own experience of the civil service tells me there are some bad people at the top but all public attitudes of constantly deriding everyone does is drives more and more people who care away.

[extremely newspaper-reading voice] 'but why can't the doctors and nurses run the hospitals during their coffee breaks?'

• Like 1

Wasn't it the Hospital Trusts themselves that started to charge staff to park their cars and not the government? As far as I'm aware its a Trust decision to charge, all the government is doing is withdrawing the subsidy they gave the Trusts to replace the income lost.

I know funding from Government plays a huge part in this but essentially the decision to charge staff is the trusts alone isn't it?

[Genuine question by the way as thats the way I'd always assumed it was]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Wasn't it the Hospital Trusts themselves that started to charge staff to park their cars and not the government? As far as I'm aware its a Trust decision to charge, all the government is doing is withdrawing the subsidy they gave the Trusts to replace the income lost.

I know funding from Government plays a huge part in this but essentially the decision to charge staff is the trusts alone isn't it?

[Genuine question by the way as thats the way I'd always assumed it was]

It is my understanding as well. The Trusts set the parking fees and can abolish them if they wish. The Government effectively paid the lost income of the parking fees to the Trusts during Covid.

Looking at some data it shows in 18/19 the NHS Trusts made £272m (£86m from staff) in parking across 169 trusts.

Its not a lot of money really compared to the what Rishi has been throwing from his magic money tree. 

NHS Staff should absolutely not have to pay to park. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Xela said:

NHS Staff should absolutely not have to pay to park.

I absolutely agree with that. I also don't think anyone should have to pay. No one visits hospitals for a laugh. Generally its staff or visitors, which goes to the well being of the patient anyway or out patients for some form of treatment / check up

• Like 2

Â