The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd consider NHS Trusts to blame for it in the same way I blame councils for raising council tax.

Were there charges for NHS staff to park before 2010? There certainly weren't in Nottingham and Leicestershire. 

I used to pay when I worked at Birmingham Heartlands Hospital in around 2000/2001 time

It was only £1 all day though. Plus I could claim it back through my agency (I was on a short term contract there)

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'd consider NHS Trusts to blame for it in the same way I blame councils for raising council tax.

Were there charges for NHS staff to park before 2010? There certainly weren't in Nottingham and Leicestershire. 

Yes, there were. In fact it was part of the Labour manifesto to abolish parking charges at hospitals in 2010

PFI started under the Tories but it was Labour that really ran with it and pushed it out there

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I absolutely agree with that. I also don't think anyone should have to pay. No one visits hospitals for a laugh. Generally its staff or visitors, which goes to the well being of the patient anyway or out patients for some form of treatment / check up

Agreed.

When my dad was having cancer treatment and had to go the hospital every week, often multiple times, I was dumbfounded that he had to pay to park every time (or my mom had to pay to park when she'd take him)

He did get this card that gave him some sort of discount, so he wasn't paying the full amount. But still. 

Parking spaces (and the roads used to get to them) are a limited resource. The reasons for paid parking schemes are typically more to do with rationing spaces to allow shorter stays and greater turnover and providing a disincentive to private vehicle use, in favour of more sustainable and environmentally friendly forms of transportation. Progressive authorities are ones that actively discourage people from driving and instead encourage people to use public transport, car share, taxis, bikes etc

22 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Parking spaces (and the roads used to get to them) are a limited resource. The reasons for paid parking schemes are typically more to do with rationing spaces to allow shorter stays and greater turnover and providing a disincentive to private vehicle use, in favour of more sustainable and environmentally friendly forms of transportation. Progressive authorities are ones that actively discourage people from driving and instead encourage people to use public transport, car share, taxis, bikes etc

...is the right answer, unless they shut 3 hospitals and concentrate resource on one super hospital 25 miles away that they’ve managed to build nowhere near a train station, so a visit to hospital potentially involves 2 changes of bus. Fine on the way in, but on the way home, if its raining and you’re stood on a bus stop with your arse sticking out the back of a paper gown, not so much fun.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Sorry round here that is nonsense. Our main hospital in the north of the city has built a multistory car park, Opened a new massive ground level car park and has lots of its original ground level car parks. Big chunks of these used to be Staff Only car parks, none of them are any more. You are never short of parking space at this hospital. You get the first 20 mins free. They've still had to go and make the estate opposite, residents only street parking for about half a mile into the estate because people were parking there to avoid paying, most often this was the hospital staff as they get there earlier than the patients.

Same thing happened at SOuthport Hospital too (different trust) with the exception of building a Multistorey

16 hours ago, bickster said:

I absolutely agree with that. I also don't think anyone should have to pay. No one visits hospitals for a laugh. Generally its staff or visitors, which goes to the well being of the patient anyway or out patients for some form of treatment / check up

Cant agree more its a absolute joke. If they are worried  that people will just park there and are not actual patients all they need to do is give patients sonething they can stick on their dashboard proving their are visiting a hospital for a opa or visiting someone in the ward.

Between boris and khan both complete and utter clowns

Another major question i have is where does the parking money go? Its alleged that it goes to improving the parking area but i can honestly say in my local hospitals they have never improved it. In fact they have made less parking space for staff and patients.  

Their needs to be enquiries wherw thag money goes because i would not be suprised if someone is pocketing that

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

...is the right answer, unless they shut 3 hospitals and concentrate resource on one super hospital 25 miles away that they’ve managed to build nowhere near a train station, so a visit to hospital potentially involves 2 changes of bus. Fine on the way in, but on the way home, if its raining and you’re stood on a bus stop with your arse sticking out the back of a paper gown, not so much fun.

No doubt, part of the package is providing attractive alternative transportation modes. All stick and no carrot does not make for good policy. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This (and your further comment about carrot and stick) would suppose that there is one 'authority' under whose umbrella a policy falls, i.e. some authority that could be progressive or is in control of both carrot and stick.

And when it comes down to hospital visits and appointments, one has to provide a very large incentive to get people willing to take a 3 hour public transport round trip to a hospital less than ten miles away as opposed to a 15/20 minute each way car journey - even allowing for car park charges.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Another major question i have is where does the parking money go? Its alleged that it goes to improving the parking area but i can honestly say in my local hospitals they have never improved it. In fact they have made less parking space for staff and patients.  

Their needs to be enquiries wherw thag money goes because i would not be suprised if someone is pocketing that

The profits must be used by the Trusts to improve health services.

Interestingly, anything that counts as an NHS income generation scheme, as car parks do, have to be profitable. If they subsidised parking to an extent that it didn't make a profit, they'd have to stop offering the service (or potentially just remove it from the income generation scheme classification, which I think means they wouldn't be able to charge anyone at all). 

I don't know how much profit they're making per car park, but if it's not a comfortable profit, subsidising staff parking may mean either making patients pay even more, or scrapping charges entirely - which sounds great, but unless there's central funding for it, it means costs have to be cut from somewhere to make up for it.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Xann said:

The figures for some of these unscrutinised PPE purchases, from the likes of confectionary companies owned in tax havens, are eyewatering 😮 

It looks like a really, really shady operation from top to bottom.

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I don't know how much profit they're making per car park

Large Hospitals are literally making millions of pounds per annum. Car Parking is a low cost, low maintenance, high profit business, especially in the grounds of a hospital

Chris Grayling closes in on role as chair of UK intelligence committee

The accident-prone former cabinet minister Chris Grayling is expected to be appointed as chair of the powerful intelligence and security committee (ISC) next week after the Conservatives announced four other members who are expected to support him.

The former transport and justice secretary has long been Boris Johnson’s pick for the job but the plan has been partly disrupted by months of wrangling as the Tories searched for colleagues willing to vote for him.

Grayling was one of five Conservative MPs announced as members of the nine-person committee on Thursday night. It oversees MI5, MI6 and GCHQ and has the power to release the delayed Russia report, postponed from before the election.

The others on the committee are the Conservative MPs Theresa Villiers, Sir John Hayes, Julian Lewis and Mark Pritchard, the Labour MPs Kevan Jones and Diana Johnson, the SNP MP Stewart Hosie and the Labour peer Lord West.

Ian Blackford, the SNP leader at Westminster, said: “It is then deeply concerning that the latest plan devised by Dominic Cummings and Boris Johnson will aim to parachute Chris Grayling as chair of the committee by putting forward favourable Tory

members who will vote him through as chair.”

...more

Seriously? What a shower.

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

For all the madness of 2020 so far, I really didn’t think I’d see Chris Grayling and intelligence in the same sentence.

Need some dumb f**k to hide the Russia report

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Need some dumb f**k to hide the Russia report

And that is literally the only possible conclusion, that Cummings knows he can literally make Grayling eat that report and not realise at any point he was set up as a fall guy.

• Like 1

Â