The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Well I assume I wouldn't have to wait til i'm 60 if I was to purchase a house with it? 

If I wanted to purchase a house in 4 years, and had put 16k into the ISA, surely I'd get 20k out as a deposit for my house buy? 

You may be well right, the details I've read up on it are quite confused. Not a shocker with this government.

34 minutes ago, Chindie said:

You may be well right, the details I've read up on it are quite confused. Not a shocker with this government.

That's the way I understood it anyway, there's every chance i'm wrong! 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm pretty sure most of those studies in the document you linked yesterday showed at least some reduction in fizzy drink consumption. The claim was made that the consumption of soda is inelastic - ie. that demand doesn't decrease proportional to price increase, which I can't argue with - but they appeared (haven't time to check now) to show some reduction in soda consumption. I know the claim was that people will substitute sugar intake from soda with sugars from elsewhere, but I still say that's a win. Of course milk and orange juice aren't as healthy as water, but I'd still rather kids were drinking them than Coke.

Some fruit and milk-based drinks actually have more sugar in them than many fizzy drinks so actually I'm not sure this will help even marginally. The tax (or "levy") is being sold as some sort of bold measure but I wouldn't be surprised if it had no discernible effect whatsoever.

It's one of those silly measures that governments of all stripes do to make it look they're doing something when actually they aren't.

dunno, chocolate bars & crisps are a more expensive as it is now and i certainly think twice before buying some

on a more general point, we need to consume less be it food or other disposable products, but i'm not sure if taxing is the right way to go about it because it'll only really effect those who should be benefiting from any redistribution that would occur in the event of significant lifestyle changes & lowered consumption anyway, i.e. the poor.

better education & less consumption are perhaps a better way to tackle obesity than taxing

not sure though

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

dunno, chocolate bars & crisps are a more expensive as it is now and i certainly think twice before buying some

on a more general point, we need to consume less be it food or other disposable products, but i'm not sure if taxing is the right way to go about it because it'll only really effect those who should be benefiting from any redistribution that would occur in the event of significant lifestyle changes & lowered consumption anyway, i.e. the poor.

better education & less consumption are perhaps a better way to tackle obesity than taxing

not sure though

and that's the nub of everything

We need to consume less, yet we are trying to buy and sell our way out of an economic crisis.

We need to educate people against over consumption of everything, but our schools are soon to be privatised purveyors of tat. 

What we really need is the accelerated arrival of the Chrisp65 People's Jamahiriya Benign Dictatorship. It's coming, don't despair, it's coming. Touch the screen, pledge ten dollars.

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Some fruit and milk-based drinks actually have more sugar in them than many fizzy drinks so actually I'm not sure this will help even marginally. The tax (or "levy") is being sold as some sort of bold measure but I wouldn't be surprised if it had no discernible effect whatsoever.

It's one of those silly measures that governments of all stripes do to make it look they're doing something when actually they aren't.

Presumably though some people might argue that the tax could just be expanded to include those products. 

However, you may well be right, it might all be pointless, I guess time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

Coupled with the fact it's not gonna happen for 2 years. If he was serious, why not straight away?

This may have been asked recently, if it has - apologies. 

I am genuinely interested in the opinion of those who voted for the Tories at the GE. 

How do you feel now? Still happy you voted the way you did or has anything happened now that makes you wish you hadn't?

that's not a loaded question by the way, no tone intended, just interested. 

For my part, they are doing what I thought they would, which is why I didn't vote for them. Even though I will be slightly better off when the new tax bandings kick in (minus additional company car tax and slow wage growth) 

Edited by wazzap24
I'm thick and can't type

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

and that's the nub of everything

We need to consume less, yet we are trying to buy and sell our way out of an economic crisis.

We need to educate people against over consumption of everything, but our schools are soon to be privatised purveyors of tat. 

What we really need is the accelerated arrival of the Chrisp65 People's Jamahiriya Benign Dictatorship. It's coming, don't despair, it's coming. Touch the screen, pledge ten dollars.

£'s ffs ... And for that reason I'm out 

Gove nicked our schools and handed them to his mates.

Each time a school becomes an academy the council must hand over the title deeds for the school if it has them (avg value £5m per school)...

I wrote an FOI request to Michael Gove's department and asked him where are the title deeds to England's schools

After 3 months he still refused to answer - I had to involve the information commissioner who wrote and demanded they answer within 10 days

And now we find out why Michael Gove did not want to answer.

Where are all the title deeds for the schools Mr Gove

At the end they told me to write to a company the Tory Party Treasurer is on the board of - and ask the private company if they know what Michael Gove has done with the title deeds for state assets

Any good magician will tell you - create a distraction - to get away with the trick

And the trick here is - Michael Gove transferring £10 billion of state assets to private companies - where no payment was received for the state assets - and taxpayers forced to pay over £50,000,000 in legal fees alone to fund the trick...

This from a couple of years ago by Michael Rosen.

The robbers are back, and cleared us out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

This may ha been asked recently, if it has - apologies. 

I am genuinely interested in the opinion of those who voted for the Tories at the GE. 

How do you feel now? Still happy you voted the way you did or has anything happened now that makes you wish you hadn't?

that's not a loaded question by the way, no tone intended, just interested. 

For my part, they are doing what I thought they would, which is why I didn't vote for them. Even though I will be slightly better off when the new tax bandings kick in (minus additional company car tax and slow wage growth) 

Don't regret it at all. The government certainly could've performed better for my liking and I'm starting to get tired of Osborne's constant mis-steps (although that's more of a political gripe) but there simply weren't any other options out that appealed to me.

Edited by Mantis

absolute record

First question on QT was about tax cut vs disability benefit cut.

First answer was tory woman who blamed it on the last Labour government. I didn't have the stop watch going, but I made that less than 5 seconds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

absolute record

First question on QT was about tax cut vs disability benefit cut.

First answer was tory woman who blamed it on the last Labour government. I didn't have the stop watch going, but I made that less than 5 seconds.

I thought exactly the same thing. It is also remarkable six years down the line it is all still somebody else's fault. You have to question who falls for this shit. Maybe it is the same people who look no further than a few extra penny's in their pocket.

Edited by markavfc40

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Latest YouGuv poll has put labour ahead of the Conservatives for the first time in a little while.

Ah yes .. And how is Prime Minister Miliband these days ?

• Like 1

Â