The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

It's tragic that the best retort to a random backbencher  being a bumbling **** of a woman is "but what about the speech by the Prime minister , eh?"

I might be the last person here giving him credit for having more influence than random back benchers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Nicked from elsewhere - Boris Johnson's personal hell: having to travel around the country, listening to people who don't like him make good points in regional accents.

On the police thing:

Those police officers weren't there for a photoshoot, they're just following him around now in case he refuses to write his big letter to Brussels :mrgreen:

It's not that I disagree with Boles' assessment of Johnson's character now, but his line about 'what those of us who worked with Boris Johnson have always known' is an absolute farce. Step into the time machine, and head to 2016:

Nick Boles: I’m a moderniser. I backed Remain. And here’s why I believe Johnson should be the next Conservative leader

By Nick Boles MP

'[...]

The intemperate and often unpleasant nature of the referendum campaign has highlighted divisions in society, between classes, generations and different parts of the country.  48 per cent of the country voted to stay in the European Union and many of them are feeling bruised, frightened and rejected. If we are not very careful, the process of implementing the people’s decision will exacerbate those divisions and risk splitting the country apart. So we need to elect someone who is a natural unifier, and consensus builder, a fully paid-up member of the human race, who doesn’t just spout the rhetoric of One Nation, but lives and breathes an approach to politics that is warm, generous, open and inclusive.

[...]

It is these four conditions that have led me to conclude that we should elect Boris Johnson as our next leader and Prime Minister.  I have worked closely with Johnson as his chief of staff when he was first elected Mayor of London.  We have had well-advertised differences in the past.  But he is a modern, liberal Tory, who won two elections in a city that is naturally Labour, who has grown immensely in stature and maturity in his eight years as Mayor, and who will lead the country with the same humanity and sense of fairness that he brought to the leadership of our capital city.'

https://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/06/nick-boles-im-a-moderniser-i-backed-remain-and-heres-why-i-believe-johnson-should-be-the-next-conservative-leader.html

[side-note: amuses me how in a Tory party leadership race, being 'a fully paid-up member of the human race' is seen as a quality worth highlighting 🤪]

Not long after writing that article, Boles became Michael Gove's campaign manager. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

[side-note: amuses me how in a Tory party leadership race, being 'a fully paid-up member of the human race' is seen as a quality worth highlighting 🤪]

I'm intrigued that he had to pay to join.  What was he before?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

It's tragic that the best retort to a random backbencher  being a bumbling **** of a woman is "but what about the speech by the Prime minister , eh?"

I expect a cheque for the royalties :P 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

No idea why you added the last sentence as some form of cheap barb , I’ve never even commented on the whole labour anti Semitic thing 

It was a general joke about tories trying to spin any criticism of themselves in to a "but Labour", and repeatedly bringing up anti-semitism as a catch-all counter to anything, but certainly wasn't intended as a direct dig at you, so no hard feelings, I hope.

Got to say, I didn't think that much of Phillip's speech either, I thought it was a bit embarrassing constantly going on about how she was too thick to understand parliamentary procedure. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Early election date was to limit student vote, admits Boris Johnson aide

The government's call for a general election on October 15th was partly intended to restrict the number of students who would vote, an aide has reportedly admitted

The Times reports that the team behind Boris Johnson's election campaign having an early date would restrict the number of students registering to vote, with most being unable to prove their residence until they are settled at the end of September.

According to the newspaper Number 10 believed if students remained registered at their home address it would be less of a threat to the Conservatives than if they register with their university address, as they are less inclined to vote.

Young people were credited with helping Labour to deny the Conservatives of a majority in the 2017 general election.

New figures reveal that more than one million people have registered to vote since Boris Johnson became prime minister, with 200,000 people alone signing up this week and nearly 100,000 signing up since the House of Commons vote on an election.

A majority of those applicants were aged 35 and under - with experts predicting more to register when an election date is agreed.

European via The Times

My flabber has never been so ghasted

• Like 1

Â