The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

London Review of Books

These are the people whom (for example) the northern working classes are supporting. I despair. 

This x infinity. 

I just cannot get my head around it. It’s genuinely mind blowing. 

I know Corbyn is a joke, but I just cannot fathom why any normal man on the street would vote Tory atm. 

The whole cabinet are not just completely inept, but they are the worst kind of Tories imaginable too. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, wazzap24 said:

This x infinity. 

I know Corbyn is a joke, but I just cannot fathom why any normal man on the street would vote Tory atm. 

The whole cabinet are not just completely inept, but they are the worst kind of Tories imaginable too. 

I regularly have that same thought process. Takes me by surprise every time I encounter it. For me (and I mean literally, for me) part of the problem must be our own social bubble. Our own personal geography must give us a view of the world that just doesn’t stand up as being as typical or normal as we presume.

We all presume our world view is right and proper and that we are normal and reasonable. There can’t be many people that think their views are wrong and they are unreasonable, they’d surely change those views.

So, yesterday, I drove down from Shrewsbury and Telford and through Ironbridge and Much Wenlock, Ludlow, Leominster, Hereford. Not a route I take very often. A couple of things struck me, the mile after mile of big farms all seemingly dedicated to hay. Three hours of fields to both sides with hay bales. I don’t even know what they do with hay. But we clearly need **** thousands of tons of the stuff. Hamlets, farms, small villages, lay-by cafes where they were flying Union Jack flags and England flags. Why does a van in a lay-by selling tea need the world’s biggest England flag? Why do people’s gardens need union jacks?

Clearly there was 150 miles or three hours of people utterly unlike me, different experience of life and in turn being exposed to the views of different people to the ones I’m encountering.

Not more right, or more wrong. Just plainly different. From the gang of lads in Telford with England shirts and bucket hats. To the guy strutting through Much Wenlock in full tweedy hunting gear, very different to my every day experience.

Liverpool tomorrow, I expect that to be different again.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

This x infinity. 

I think it isn't that binary. Corbyn or Tories. I can't, or won't vote for either so I have to find a different option. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I think it isn't that binary. Corbyn or Tories. I can't, or won't vote for either so I have to find a different option. 

I don’t think that binary choice is what splits the country (hence why I don’t think the Tories have any chance of ‘romping’ a GE), my point was more around a section of  ‘average Joe’s’ somehow believing this current Tory mob are on their side. 

I can kind of get why the Brexit Party would appeal, especially if you’ve become a full blown, no deal cult member, but this group of Tories? They are barely sub-human and I just cannot understand it. Boris, JRM, Patel, Raab etc etc - they literally wouldn’t cross the street to piss on the working class people who are prepared vote for them. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I regularly have that same thought process. Takes me by surprise every time I encounter it. For me (and I mean literally, for me) part of the problem must be our own social bubble. Our own personal geography must give us a view of the world that just doesn’t stand up as being as typical or normal as we presume.

We all presume our world view is right and proper and that we are normal and reasonable. There can’t be many people that think their views are wrong and they are unreasonable, they’d surely change those views.

So, yesterday, I drove down from Shrewsbury and Telford and through Ironbridge and Much Wenlock, Ludlow, Leominster, Hereford. Not a route I take very often. A couple of things struck me, the mile after mile of big farms all seemingly dedicated to hay. Three hours of fields to both sides with hay bales. I don’t even know what they do with hay. But we clearly need **** thousands of tons of the stuff. Hamlets, farms, small villages, lay-by cafes where they were flying Union Jack flags and England flags. Why does a van in a lay-by selling tea need the world’s biggest England flag? Why do people’s gardens need union jacks?

Clearly there was 150 miles or three hours of people utterly unlike me, different experience of life and in turn being exposed to the views of different people to the ones I’m encountering.

Not more right, or more wrong. Just plainly different. From the gang of lads in Telford with England shirts and bucket hats. To the guy strutting through Much Wenlock in full tweedy hunting gear, very different to my every day experience.

Liverpool tomorrow, I expect that to be different again.

I would have waved, but I thought you missed me.

You are right of course, about the different bubbles that people live in.

I occasionally drive through a quiet little village, only about 15 minutes away from me. Pleasant little country village/hamlet, nothing massively noteworthy compared to any other similar sized community. My only real thought about it was that there doesn’t appear to be a pub.

Anyway the EU elections come around and suddenly on my drive I’m greeted by a huge Union Jack adorning the side of a house with “The Brexit Party” written across it. It was still there when I drove past a week or two ago. It shouldn’t have been a surprise to me, yet it was. However I found it more dispiriting than anything.

• Like 1

On a related tangent. We got a letter(hand delivered) through our door yesterday. It was from someone in our village, who only addressed himself by his first name and the road he lived in. Inviting us to join something called nextdoor.co.uk

He's apparently set this up as a private network so we can all discus "issues" in our village and organise social events etc

My first reaction was "get to f***!"

I read their privacy policy - I thought "really get to f***!" 

Then as if by magic this appears in The Guardian

Sites such as Nextdoor are growing in popularity, offering the chance for people to get to know their neighbours. This can lead to friendship and community – but there are definite downsides

I'm almost tempted to join now just so I can really get on the tits of all the NIMBY Neighbourhood Watch types that live here. (I have no intention)

The whole concept makes me want to vomit to be completely honest

1 hour ago, bickster said:

On a related tangent. We got a letter(hand delivered) through our door yesterday. It was from someone in our village, who only addressed himself by his first name and the road he lived in. Inviting us to join something called nextdoor.co.uk

He's apparently set this up as a private network so we can all discus "issues" in our village and organise social events etc

My first reaction was "get to f***!"

I read their privacy policy - I thought "really get to f***!" 

Then as if by magic this appears in The Guardian

I'm almost tempted to join now just so I can really get on the tits of all the NIMBY Neighbourhood Watch types that live here. (I have no intention)

The whole concept makes me want to vomit to be completely honest

I had one of those about a year ago. I joined it as it seemed to require almost no personal data (other than saying you lived at x). It hasn't been pointless, apparently someone needs 'help' because they lost the number of the person who would come and collect woodshavings.

3 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

This x infinity. 

At the same time, however, it was considered that economic motives in
the individual may not have the dominant and crucial role that is often
ascribed to them. If economic self-interest were the only determinant of
opinion, we should expect people of the same socioeconomic status to have
very similar opinions, and we should expect opinion to vary in a meaningful
way from one socioeconomic grouping to another. Research has not given
very sound support for these expectations. There is only the most general
similarity of opinion among people of the same socioeconomic status, and
the exceptions are glaring; while variations from one socioeconomic group
to another are rarely simple or clear-cut. To explain why it is that people
of the same socioeconomic status so frequently have different ideologies,
while people of a different status often have very similar ideologies, we must
take account of other than purely economic needs.
More than this, it is becoming increasingly plain that people very frequently do not behave in such a way as to further their material interests,
even when it is clear to them what these interests are. The resistance of
white-collar workers to organization is not due to a belief that the union will
not help them economically; the tendency of the small businessman to side
with big business in most economic and political matters cannot be due
entirely to a belief that this is the way to guarantee his economic independence. In instances such as these the individual seems not only not to consider his material interests, but even to go against them. It is as if he were
thinking in terms of a larger group identification, as if his point of view were
determined more by his need to support this group and to suppress opposite
ones than by rational consideration of his own interests. Indeed, it is with

https://archive.org/details/THEAUTHORITARIANPERSONALITY.Adorno

• Like 1

In my lifetime I have never known a PM be held with such low opinion. Even the very controversial figures of the past were respected to a degree. Boris seems to considered an absolute joke of a man by every quarter. Hes being stitched up and mugged off by most of Westminster and he cant do a thing about it. He has zero statesmanship qualities. 

• Like 2

here's a better scenario  (not a prediction, btw): 

Boris using the same legal process that remainers were happy to accept when it was working for them  successfully over rules  Parliament. We leave with no deal. The economy doesn't collapse , the NHS aren't overloaded with millions of cases of Chlorinated chicken poisoning and Tesco don't run out of bread   . The election produces a landslide Tory  Parliament. The broad left finally gets its act together enough to vandalise the statue of Churchill and 37 central London McDonalds , with Corbyn still claiming he won the election and refusing to stand from  leading the labour party , Tom Watson starts a campaign of smears and lies about Corbyn and Dolphin Square   . Corbyn is assassinated . A public holiday  is declared. 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

here's a better scenario  (not a prediction, btw): 

Boris using the same legal process that remainers were happy to accept when it was working for them  successfully over rules  Parliament. We leave with no deal. The economy doesn't collapse , the NHS aren't overloaded with millions of cases of Chlorinated chicken poisoning and Tesco don't run out of bread   . The election produces a landslide Tory  Parliament. The broad left finally gets its act together enough to vandalise the statue of Churchill and 37 central London McDonalds , with Corbyn still claiming he won the election and refusing to stand from  leading the labour party , Tom Watson starts a campaign of smears and lies about Corbyn and Dolphin Square   . Corbyn is assassinated . A public holiday  is declared. 

unicorn believe GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Â