The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Not even a shifty, looking like he wants to be anywhere else in the world right now than on the BBC , Chris Davies is making the acceptance speech bearable.

Although he's now thanking everyone. And what a priviledge it's been etc.

No honesty from anyone.

You're leaving your post in disgrace and should shuffle off quickly and people voted for you because you're not him not because of a positive liberal message.

They are all detached from reality......Apart from Lily the Pink who appears to be giving away free apples.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

No honesty from anyone.

You're leaving your post in disgrace and should shuffle off quickly and people voted for you because you're not him not because of a positive liberal message.

They are all detached from reality......Apart from Lily the Pink who appears to be giving away free apples.

A very strange argument IMO. If your standard for an acceptable bye election victory speech is for the winner to announce to the media that her victory is in no way to do with her politics and should only be considered a personal rejection of her opponent, then I don't think that standard is either reasonable or realistic. Nor is it obviously true, come to that. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

A very strange argument IMO. If your standard for an acceptable bye election victory speech is for the winner to announce to the media that her victory is in no way to do with her politics and should only be considered a personal rejection of her opponent, then I don't think that standard is either reasonable or realistic. Nor is it obviously true, come to that. 

Maybe, but obviously I don't agree and in the strongest possible terms. Having stayed up till circa 3am perhaps my fuse is/was short :)

But no. They both spouted nonsense and I would say both suffer from delusions of grandeur. It was hardly anything spectacular and I tend to avoid such things and the media coverage as much as possible or the slightest thing could set me off ;)

For the record that's not 'my standard' but there's little doubt in my mind it wouldn't be the end of the world if it were applied. Of course it's not realistic but is that due to the current political paradigm? Or because politicians not falling back on spouting party bollox every 5 minutes is an unreasonable standard to hold them to? Of course I don't expect them to be upfront and 'honest' (funny having to qualify this honesty thing isn't it? considering why we're here!). I don't see why I should let it pass without comment though.

Utterly baffling response tbh. But in the world where counter-point arguing is ingrained in us from an early age nothing new I suppose. Personally I believe there are many different possibilities for constructing an acceptance speech in these circumstances and the furthest extreme point you can imagine, from the criticism of the path they chose, is neither the opinion I was espousing or indeed a valid argument.

"So you're saying......" memes etc.

She got up thanked her team etc thanked the voters etc and then started going on and on about "Since Richard Livesey won this seat in 80something....Liberal resurgence......people chose hope over fear.....young people who care about the environment deserve better"....... yadda yadda yadda. If she's doing that for any other reason than a few soundbites she's deluded, if she thinks those soundbites carry any weight she's deluded. imho. I honestly don't think people turned out in their thousands to vote for her because of her "positive Liberal message". If the Liberals are "the vote of hope" god help us all.

He got up and shiftily thanked everyone in his team and constituency and declared what an honour it had been to serve etc yadda yadda. And yet he's there in disgrace and seen his 8000 majority wiped out. If it was really such an honour wouldn't one reasonably assume that one may take it seriously or at least not commit fraud while in office? Or be recalled by said constituents? But no, perhaps I should get back in my box and lap up the 'hypernormalisation'-esque stuff around the facade. "They know that we know that they're lying" etc? No thanks. I think it's a load of bollox. And that the world and Politics in general would be better off without it.

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable and unrealistic and untruthful here but I honestly think you're describing them you know.....

2 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

He got up and shiftily thanked everyone in his team and constituency and declared what an honour it had been to serve etc

Did he apologise for blackmailing the party that he'd stand as an independent if they didn't choose him to fight the seat risking splitting the Tory vote further. Thought not.

Just now, bickster said:

Did he apologise for blackmailing the party that he'd stand as an independent if they didn't choose him to fight the seat risking splitting the Tory vote further. Thought not.

yeah, weirdly no mention of it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

is there evidence for this or don't you have to supply any to some random bloke on the web :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

is there evidence for this or don't you have to supply any to some random bloke on the web :P

It was reported in a number of articles in the media in the lead up to selection

2 hours ago, bickster said:

It was reported in a number of articles in the media in the lead up to selection

I've not been able to find anything relating to this when I google it on yahoo  , even the Mirror  doesn't  mention it in their stories about his reselection

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

She got up thanked her team etc thanked the voters etc and then started going on and on about "Since Richard Livesey won this seat in 80something....Liberal resurgence......people chose hope over fear.....young people who care about the environment deserve better"....... yadda yadda yadda. If she's doing that for any other reason than a few soundbites she's deluded, if she thinks those soundbites carry any weight she's deluded. imho. I honestly don't think people turned out in their thousands to vote for her because of her "positive Liberal message". If the Liberals are "the vote of hope" god help us all.

It is a politician's job to deliver some media-friendly soundbites that can be played on news reports. It's also her job to sound upbeat, thank the party, and create an atmosphere of enthusiasm. It's also probably the proudest moment of her life, or one of them, so on a human level I don't see why she should sound like Eeyore. 

We'll never know what proportion of people voted because of her 'positive Liberal message'. But the Conservatives have, nationally, declined from 43% of the vote in the 2017 GE to an average of the mid-high-20's in opinion polls now, so they've lost 30-40% of their support. It seems churlish to assume that *absolutely none* of that disillusionment can be found in Brecon, and that *literally the only* reason anyone voted for her was dislike of Davies' corruption, so why shouldn't she try to draw some positives from winning an election? 

• Like 2

by random luck, I was up around Brecon today

48440002061_7cd35e8dd6_c.jpg

39% of those that voted, voted for a man that was guilty of faking invoices for artwork for his office, whilst he also voted repeatedly to reduce people's welfare benefits

absolute toilet of a man, utterly devoid of self awareness or humility, convicted fraudster

39% voted for him

stay classy Brecon tories

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

39% of those that voted, voted for a man that was guilty of faking invoices for artwork for his office, whilst he also voted repeatedly to reduce people's welfare benefits

absolute toilet of a man, utterly devoid of self awareness or humility, convicted fraudster

39% voted for him

None of that matters as long as he can bring back their blue passports

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

39% of those that voted, voted for a man that was guilty of faking invoices

I would imagine an awful lot of Tories don't actually see this as a crime, as it's something they all do

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I would imagine an awful lot of Tories don't actually see this as a crime, as it's something they all do

To paraphrase one of our resident posters ... what bollocks

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

39% voted for him

This is very strange.

The Lib Dems have held this seat for most of the last 35 years.  They faced a candidate caught up in an expenses scandal.  Other parties stood aside for them, and Labour supporters clearly voted tactically with them.  The Brexit party took votes from the Tories.

And yet they scraped a narrow win.  They should have been home and dry.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, peterms said:

This is very strange.

The Lib Dems have held this seat for most of the last 35 years.  They faced a candidate caught up in an expenses scandal.  Other parties stood aside for them, and Labour supporters clearly voted tactically with them.  The Brexit party took votes from the Tories.

And yet they scraped a narrow win.  They should have been home and dry.

There's a whole load of weird stats for the election nerd.

That constituency always has a weirdly high turn out of voters, as there is little other entertainment in the area. For decades the turnout has been above 70% and used to be above 80%.

Yet here we are, exceptional circumstances, new PM, Brexit, Brexit Party, a sunny day, national attention.... turnout below 60%, lowest ever in that constituency.

I agree, strange.

edit: oh yeah, and days after saying she would  never do a deal with 'nationalists', that new Libdem leader did a deal with the 'nationalists'.

Edited by chrisp65
  • Like 2

Â