The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

a screenshot of his inbox

That's not a screenshot of his (or anyone else's) inbox. It's a screenshot of someone's Draft e mithers folder.

Here's one from mine

alien invasion.jpg

On 11/08/2019 at 11:26, HanoiVillan said:

One of the many areas they struggled with in the last election campaign was countering Labour's pledge to increase the number of policemen.

to be fair the way Diane Abbott presented it , they were struggling to find out what labours pledge actually was

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Brexit Trade Minister Liz Truss has been slapped down by Westminster's own statistics watchdog over “incorrect” claims about the UK Government’s generosity to Scotland made last month when she was Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Mackay said the slapdown showed the Tories are so desperate to talk Scotland down that they "can't be trusted to be honest with people".

Last month, writing in the Daily Mail, Truss said the UK Treasury were “cushioning the blow” of lower than expected growth in Scotland.

Hitting out at the SNP government, Truss wrote: “Our mutually agreed fiscal framework is designed to benefit the Scottish Government if growth in Scotland is faster than the rest of the UK.

“Thankfully, it also cushions the blow when growth is down in Scotland. So I have confirmed that the Treasury will give £737m additional cash through the block grant to the Scottish Government.”

However, the £737m was not additional cash because of poor growth, but rather money already deducted from Scotland’s block grant in 2017-18 due to an overestimate of how much money the government in Edinburgh would take through new devolved income taxes, and, in part down to weaker income tax receipts in the rest of the UK.

Truss’s comments prompted a complaint from Mackay to the UK Statistics Authority.

On Tuesday morning, Sir David Norgrove, the chair of the authority, upheld the Scottish Finance Secretary’s complaint.

Responding to the ruling, Mackay said: “The Tories are so desperate to talk Scotland down that they have resorted to deliberately distorting the truth. Sadly for them they’ve been caught-red handed pedalling a line the UK Statistics Agency have branded as ‘incorrect.’

“This will be hugely embarrassing for the Tories and shows that when it comes to Scotland’s economy they simply can’t be trusted to be honest with people.

“The reality is that Scotland’s economy is strong and our tax receipts show strong and sustained growth. Contrast that with the dismal future on offer in a Tory Brexit Britain and it is little wonder support for independence is on the increase.”

National Scot

Inept lying Tory Brexit pieces of shit, tearing apart the Union for their tax evading chums, and of course to get rid of your worker's rights.

Give yourselves a slow handclap Tory and Brexit voters. 

57 minutes ago, Xann said:

National Scot

Inept lying Tory Brexit pieces of shit, tearing apart the Union for their tax evading chums, and of course to get rid of your worker's rights.

Give yourselves a slow handclap Tory and Brexit voters. 

You're assuming Tory voters actually care about the union, whether people pay the tax they should or your right to work under fair conditions.

Recent polling suggests they only care about 2 things. Keeping Corbyn out and Brexit. Not sure which is more important.

I'd still like to hear from our more Tory-leaning VT'ers about how they can continue to vote for them after this. Surely we've all suffered enough.

Travelling by boat yesterday, a coach load of elderly people sat near me. They were praising Boris, saying that it's about time young people had it hard as they have it far too easy, then they all waved their free bus passes and asked for discounts on food for being old. 

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, avfcDJ said:

Travelling by boat yesterday, a coach load of elderly people sat near me. They were praising Boris, saying that it's about time young people had it hard as they have it far too easy, then they all waved their free bus passes and asked for discounts on food for being old. 

Life must've been shit when you could buy a 3 bedroom house for the equivalent of 3 years wages and be mortgage free at 50.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

Life must've been shit when you could buy a 3 bedroom house for the equivalent of 3 years wages and be mortgage free at 50.

Oh absolutely, don't forget the yachts. A few were talking about going out on the water during Cowes Week. 

During that time, I know young people earning just over £3.50 an hour, or if you are lucky and old enough, just over £8.50 to be shouted at and told you have it easy.

One day the the stupidest minister gold medal winner will actually do her own research... she's not actually clever enough to have deliberately done this

SCOTTISH Finance Secretary Derek Mackay has hit out at the UK Government after a then Treasury minister was "caught red-handed" lying in an attack on the SNP.

Brexit Trade Minister Liz Truss has been slapped down by Westminster's own statistics watchdog over “incorrect” claims about the UK Government’s generosity to Scotland made last month when she was Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Mackay said the slapdown showed the Tories are so desperate to talk Scotland down that they "can't be trusted to be honest with people".

Last month, writing in the Daily Mail, Truss said the UK Treasury were “cushioning the blow” of lower than expected growth in Scotland.

Hitting out at the SNP government, Truss wrote: “Our mutually agreed fiscal framework is designed to benefit the Scottish Government if growth in Scotland is faster than the rest of the UK.

“Thankfully, it also cushions the blow when growth is down in Scotland. So I have confirmed that the Treasury will give £737m additional cash through the block grant to the Scottish Government.”

READ MORE: Fact Check: Liz Truss’s claims just don’t add up

However, the £737m was not additional cash because of poor growth, but rather money already deducted from Scotland’s block grant in 2017-18 due to an overestimate of how much money the government in Edinburgh would take through new devolved income taxes, and, in part down to weaker income tax receipts in the rest of the UK.

Truss’s comments prompted a complaint from Mackay to the UK Statistics Authority.

On Tuesday morning, Sir David Norgrove, the chair of the authority, upheld the Scottish Finance Secretary’s complaint.

Responding to the ruling, Mackay said: “The Tories are so desperate to talk Scotland down that they have resorted to deliberately distorting the truth. Sadly for them they’ve been caught-red handed peddling a line the UK Statistics Agency have branded as ‘incorrect.’

“This will be hugely embarrassing for the Tories and shows that when it comes to Scotland’s economy they simply can’t be trusted to be honest with people.

The National

21 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

There won't be a GE. Any talk is a ploy by the Tories to give people hope there is a chance to stop Brexit via a GE. It's about keeping people quiet with the hope that change is coming.

Watch him call one for Oct 31st and declare a BH for Nov 1st

"So I got this great idea to tackle knife crime guys and girls. You know how young people like takeaways, well how about we put positive messages like why not do boxing or music instead of stabbing people up n that but like in the takeaway packaging? How cool would that be?"

"Just remember there's only one food trope you want to avoid here mate, there's literally only one type of take-away that if you centred the campaign around will just instantly make us all look like massive racists."

"and what food is that exactly......?"

Jeebus, we're not even pretending any more :(

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

"So I got this great idea to tackle knife crime guys and girls. You know how young people like takeaways, well how about we put positive messages like why not do boxing or music instead of stabbing people up n that but like in the takeaway packaging? How cool would that be?"

"Just remember there's only one food trope you want to avoid here mate, there's literally only one type of take-away that if you centred the campaign around will just instantly make us all look like massive racists."

"and what food is that exactly......?"

Jeebus, we're not even pretending any more :(

anyone taking this campaign as racist probably needs to get away from twitter for a while ...

It probably won’t work but it’s at least it’s got people talking about it which is a start for any campaign  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

anyone taking this campaign as racist probably needs to get away from twitter for a while ...

It probably won’t work but it’s at least it’s got people talking about it which is a start for any campaign  

main-qimg-8702f1b8eb8103507bfd75acf6d3641900sc_postcard-a_dream_of_paradise.jpg&

Anyone still not getting the racist connotations of using only fried chicken outlets for this complete waste of time and money? Or just Tony?

**** me VT. Sometimes.

Edit: I think I picked the illustrations that wouldn't get me banned/warned etc feel free to search for really nasty ones - there's worse out there. 

And Tony, do you honestly think my opinions are forged on twitter?

As for the talking point motive you're probably bang on the money, but to think like that I suppose you'd have to agree it would only cause a stink by obviously being labelled as a bit racist. Otherwise the talking point would be of a standard raised by twitter or some-such surely?

It's definitely a communication problem that will be solved by dialogue though eh. Good job it's not rooted in socio-economic issues or something complicated.

Edited by VILLAMARV

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Anyone still not getting the racist connotations of using only fried chicken outlets for this complete waste of time and money?

Ah, but it's not just fried chicken outlets, as you can learn here.  They are also targetting the Notting Hill Carnival.  And to wean people off a life of knife crime, they are suggesting they take up boxing or music instead.  If you think this is racist stereotyping, I can only say, er, yes, I guess it is.

Stories about young people who pursued boxing and music, rather than carrying a knife, will also be printed inside the boxes.

The #knifefree campaign will be shown on screens in many of the shops, with the adverts having already been shown at music festivals Wireless and Lovebox this summer. It will also be running at Notting Hill carnival.

The mechanism of how these containers will lead to a reduction in knife crime is explained clearly:

Malthouse said: “These chicken boxes will bring home to thousands of young people the tragic consequences of carrying a knife and challenge the idea that it makes you safer.

Yes, I can see how that would work. 

David Lammy has crticised the scheme for being either racist or stupid.  Actually, it's both together.  So I suppose it's quite an efficient use of money, from that point of view  - two birds with one stone.

• Like 2

Anyone have a link to the facts on this campaign? Are chicken shops just one element they are targeting and this bit has been picked up by people desperate to be offended or is their entire campaign targeting only chicken shops? 

Also the fried chicken trope doesn't really apply in the UK. It's an American thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Anyone have a link to the facts on this campaign? Are chicken shops just one element they are targeting and this bit has been picked up by people desperate to be offended or is their entire campaign targeting only chicken shops? 

Also the fried chicken trope doesn't really apply in the UK. It's an American thing. 

Come on. You can't ignore the racial connotations in this.

As for it being purely an "American thing". That's crap and you know it. We share so much in terms of language, culture, TV and news with the states that generalisations don't stay within the borders of the US. 

• Like 1

Â