The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

A percentage of those which are granted asylum in Rwanda will reappear back in the UK one way or another I am certain.

They just gave to commit a crime and Rwanda gets to deport them back to us, or develop complex and expensive health needs.

Rwanda keeps the healthy, law abiding ones, and we pay them a fortune for the privilege.

I'm just amazed it's got to this point, it should have died in an initial meeting along with "quiet bat people".

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

They just gave to commit a crime and Rwanda gets to deport them back to us, or develop complex and expensive health needs.

Rwanda keeps the healthy, law abiding ones, and we pay them a fortune for the privilege.

I'm just amazed it's got to this point, it should have died in an initial meeting along with "quiet bat people".

The international people smuggling gangs will definitely be opening up a Rwanda branch, maybe they’ll be sponsored by local government officials too?

They could keep costs down by sharing office space. Off the plane, granted asylum, then handed a leaflet about ways to flee the country and the prices.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

Am I right in thinking that we've sent Rwanda £240mil in order to be able to house 200 asylum seekers a year?

That would appear to be £1.2mil per asylum seeker

It is slightly worse than that. There is another 50 mill payment expected to be made on top of the 240 mill already paid so it will be 1.45 mill per person if , and it is a huge if, we send 200 people over.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

The international people smuggling gangs will definitely be opening up a Rwanda branch, maybe they’ll be sponsored by local government officials too?

They could keep costs down by sharing office space. Off the plane, granted asylum, then handed a leaflet about ways to flee the country and the prices.

The more I think about it, the more **** insane it is.

"Commit one crime, you go to Rwanda. Commit another to win a flight back to the UK".

I could at least understand a horrific, immoral policy if it worked, Tories do Tory things, but it's just demonstrably stupid and even their base sees through it

• Like 1

On 07/12/2023 at 11:44, cyrusr said:

In its revised state I think it will lose a lot more of the "central" vote that side of the party relies on and those votes will likely go to the Lib Dems or in some instances will go to Labour

Which is why I think Starmer is also going as straight down the middle as he can. It pisses off the left a little (as shown by various comments on here) but helps steal so many of those votes. 

I don't think you'll see his true face until he's in situ. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Which is why I think Starmer is also going as straight down the middle as he can. It pisses off the left a little (as shown by various comments on here) but helps steal so many of those votes. 

I don't think you'll see his true face until he's in situ. 

No, you need sunglasses to do that.

Just imagine the boost to the economy if we gave those millions to the people in the small boats.

I mean, it wouldn’t be a popular policy I know, but the boost to the economy would be incredible. 

the saddest thing of all is that there's a whole other year of this shite.

they're going to make themselves unelectable for decades at this rate...which sounds lovely...but what damage will they do in the meantime. my worry is that they're going to leave such a mess that is impossible labour to clean up and they'll end up back in power 4 years later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

the saddest thing of all is that there's a whole other year of this shite.

they're going to make themselves unelectable for decades at this rate...which sounds lovely...but what damage will they do in the meantime. my worry is that they're going to leave such a mess that is impossible labour to clean up and they'll end up back in power 4 years later.

That’s my worry too. Whoever takes over is going to be so restricted to fix the shit because of the amount of debt that has been racked up. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It is slightly worse than that. There is another 50 mill payment expected to be made on top of the 240 mill already paid so it will be 1.45 mill per person if , and it is a huge if, we send 200 people over.

So pessimistic. Given no asylum seekers are going to be sent to Rwanda, the cost per asylum seeker will be £0. Given the indivisibility of zero and all that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Just imagine the boost to the economy if we gave those millions to the people in the small boats.

I mean, it wouldn’t be a popular policy I know, but the boost to the economy would be incredible. 

Or spent it on actual immigration officials to process them properly, admit the ones that have a claim and deport the ones that don’t. Radical idea, I know.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So let me get this right, the throbbers have conducted some sort of poll that suggests they could win the next election if they get Johnson back and bring in Farage?

Has it escaped their attention that neither of them are MPs and one of them is the OWNER of a rival political party (and yes I did mean owner)

Do they think Johnson is actually popular again?

There's some kind of mental gymnastics going on there that a sane person wouldn't recognise

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I turned on sky news earlier and was greeted by Mark Francois giving a press conference in the street waffling on about advice the ERG had gotten from their star chamber. I thought for a second we had gone back to 2017 and Theresa May is PM and Francois is spouting his brexit nonsense. The useless windbag is though now being given air time to spout bollocks about this ridiculous Rwanda policy. 

I've really enjoyed watching the covid inquiry, watching senior politicians shocked when it's insisted on that they directly answer simple questions instead of the usual "well, the question is, whether this completely different thing I want to talk about..."

• Like 1

Â