The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

What do you do today with your food scraps and why dont they lead to mould, disease and stench? I dont see how a dedicated bin is not better, certainly is for us. You pop a compostable bin liner into the bin, you empty it into a larger bin outside, it gets picked up once a week. 

2 separate things here. Firstly all green waste goes on the compost heap (bin). I have little or no food waste from cooked food and because I rarely eat critters there’s not stuff like bones or fat or whatever that many folk might have. The odd very small amount of non compostable food waste goes in with the non-recyclable waste. It would be a poor use of resources (and space) for there to be a small plastic bin and a large plastic bin for the amount of food waste generated here.

But that’s irrelevant to my Mom’s situation. Small plastic food bin. No big bin, as I described earlier last week. Daft.

The Tories going on about imaginary bin laws is obviously nuts, though there are definitely plenty of people, quite a few older folk amongst them, who resent “all these different bins” and just put everything in the general waste bin and it’s maybe these stick in the mud types who Sunak is trying to talk to with his nonsense.

Interestingly, in Cheshire East Council, as from January, you will have to pay extra to have your green waste bin emptied. 

You have to opt into this scheme.  It's absolutely bonkers. They introduced those shitty little green plastic indoor food waste things a year or so ago.  Now they're trying to charge people for recycling food and compost waste. Isn't this what council tax covers?

I won't and can't afford to pay extra.  So into the general black bin it goes ....

1 hour ago, blandy said:

2 separate things here. Firstly all green waste goes on the compost heap (bin). I have little or no food waste from cooked food and because I rarely eat critters there’s not stuff like bones or fat or whatever that many folk might have. The odd very small amount of non compostable food waste goes in with the non-recyclable waste. It would be a poor use of resources (and space) for there to be a small plastic bin and a large plastic bin for the amount of food waste generated here.

But that’s irrelevant to my Mom’s situation. Small plastic food bin. No big bin, as I described earlier last week. Daft.

The Tories going on about imaginary bin laws is obviously nuts, though there are definitely plenty of people, quite a few older folk amongst them, who resent “all these different bins” and just put everything in the general waste bin and it’s maybe these stick in the mud types who Sunak is trying to talk to with his nonsense.

makes sense, for your mums situation we buy small compostable bin liners. If you shop at the co op, there bags are also compostable so make a good substitute. 

It is odd how different policies are applied in different parts of the country. Even within 10 miles of my house, areas how different collection schedules and different bins. Definitely get the challenge of the elderly. If you have enough waste for one small bin, it makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

It is odd how different policies are applied in different parts of the country.

Much like the police, NHS, etc, it's crazy to me that each council is its own petty kingdom allowing each area to reinvest the wheel rather than benefiting from a defined national approach to technology and shared infrastructure.

I guess when it comes to the council there's an argument that you lose local influence, but you could surely let the decisions that affect people (like investment affecting headcount, frequency of collection, etc) be local decisions while the core capabilities of what we can recycle could benefit from joined up thinking and economies of scale.

But no, we'll just have hundreds of local authorities pissing money up the wall on doing all of this shit on their own. 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Interestingly, in Cheshire East Council, as from January, you will have to pay extra to have your green waste bin emptied. 

You have to opt into this scheme.  It's absolutely bonkers. They introduced those shitty little green plastic indoor food waste things a year or so ago.  Now they're trying to charge people for recycling food and compost waste. Isn't this what council tax covers?

I won't and can't afford to pay extra.  So into the general black bin it goes ....

I don't believe they have a statutory duty to remove green waste. Lots of councils UK wide are now charging for Green Waste. Government cuts is generally the reason given

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Much like the police, NHS, etc, it's crazy to me that each council is its own petty kingdom allowing each area to reinvest the wheel rather than benefiting from a defined national approach to technology and shared infrastructure.

I guess when it comes to the council there's an argument that you lose local influence, but you could surely let the decisions that affect people (like investment affecting headcount, frequency of collection, etc) be local decisions while the core capabilities of what we can recycle could benefit from joined up thinking and economies of scale.

But no, we'll just have hundreds of local authorities pissing money up the wall on doing all of this shit on their own. 

The problem with one size fits all, is that one size will have to fit the slow and the unimaginative councils. The bar would rarely be set at towards the top end and couldn’t allow innovation. I think the recycling rate for the UK is currently 45% on domestic waste? There’s clearly a problem where some councils can only see problems and can’t imagine a world where people separate out tins from cardboard from baked beans.

My local council have pushed on, had some moans a few years ago but now its accepted as ‘normal’ and the recycling rate is 70%.

I doubt very much it would stay at 70% in a one size fits all system, not least when we have a central government that’s actually made it a policy not to try and innovate because the facebook mums think recycling tins is a communist plot. 

People are weirdly resistant to change even when that change will clearly benefit them. I had a ‘discussion’ with some in the office today that was bitching about the new 20mph limit, they said they couldn’t wait for it to fail and go back to 30. I asked them what they didn’t like about it and it was like a flashback to Brexit, ‘it’s stupid’, asked what was stupid about it, ‘everything, it doesn’t work’, asked what doesn’t work, ‘all of it’. Just no actual evidence or actual opinion other than its a change that feels like it could be a mild initial inconvenience and therefore we must resist.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jon said:

I've been paying for years for that. I reckon at least 6 years, as the green bin is covered in the stickers you get each year to show you've paid. TBH I have no idea which party started it, or whether it's local council or County, or who controls the council(s), but definitely funding cuts were the reason it started.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The problem with one size fits all, is that one size will have to fit the slow and the unimaginative councils. The bar would rarely be set at towards the top end and couldn’t allow innovation. I think the recycling rate for the UK is currently 45% on domestic waste? There’s clearly a problem where some councils can only see problems and can’t imagine a world where people separate out tins from cardboard from baked beans.

My local council have pushed on, had some moans a few years ago but now its accepted as ‘normal’ and the recycling rate is 70%.

I doubt very much it would stay at 70% in a one size fits all system, not least when we have a central government that’s actually made it a policy not to try and innovate because the facebook mums think recycling tins is a communist plot. 

People are weirdly resistant to change even when that change will clearly benefit them. I had a ‘discussion’ with some in the office today that was bitching about the new 20mph limit, they said they couldn’t wait for it to fail and go back to 30. I asked them what they didn’t like about it and it was like a flashback to Brexit, ‘it’s stupid’, asked what was stupid about it, ‘everything, it doesn’t work’, asked what doesn’t work, ‘all of it’. Just no actual evidence or actual opinion other than its a change that feels like it could be a mild initial inconvenience and therefore we must resist.

You know what, this doesn't happen every often in online debates when often it's just chucking opinions at one another until someone gets bored, but you've genuinely changed my mind, never thought about it like that before.

I guess the tricky bit is how you get those dragging their feet to come along with the innovation but if you've got some leading the way and evidence of it working to point at, that can become easier

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Interestingly, in my council area in Stockholm you get a discount on your rates if you apply for a food waste bin and make use of it with at least one bag of food waste a week because the food waste is sold on by the council to be refined into biofuel.

Edited by LondonLax

They need to prove they mean business on the trans stuff and just close all womens toilets.

Cancel the channel tunnel and build some sort of ring road around London, with places along the route where you can stop for noodles and wait a few hours to then charge your car for a few hours.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

They need to prove they mean business on the trans stuff and just close all womens toilets.

Cancel the channel tunnel and build some sort of ring road around London, with places along the route where you can stop for noodles and wait a few hours to then charge your car for a few hours.

Isn't noodles forrin food? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Why on earth did they think that announcing that they were scrapping a massive piece of national infrastructure would suddenly mean  more people would want to vote for them?

guy-coma-penny-dropped.gif

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Why on earth did they think that announcing that they were scrapping a massive piece of national infrastructure would suddenly mean  more people would want to vote for them?

I believe it is a combination of desperation, delusion and simply being wildly out of touch. I can imagine them brain storming how to win back the votes of the British public, but they have so many red lines (some they are conscious of and others they are not) narrowing their options.

The red lines are

1. They cannot build anything. Consciously they know they don't have time, what they won't admit to themselves is that they have none of the will, talent, capability, or motivation to build anything of value to the public.

2. They cannot promise anything. Consciously they know that a promise simply won't move the dial as it will remain intangible. Unconsciously they know that the British public would not believe them anyway.

So they are restricted to cutting or destroying. They can cut taxes, which is the go to Tory tactic, but my bet is they already have that in mind for closer to the election and need to keep that powder dry. 

So what do they have to aim at to destroy that they think the public hate that they have not already had a massive go at? HS2 is going to be on that list. It is expensive, it probably polls as unpopular and the bit they won't admit to themselves, they have no idea how to deliver it so would love to have it off their theoretical to-do list.

So there you go, they sit in a room and talk themselves into believing that binning off HS2 is the best option they have. They lack the intelligence, insight and care to know it won't work combined with the narcissist tendancy to believe that any decisions they make must be good ones. The surprise it didn't work is the same surprise that Liz Truss had that her economic vision didn't work. It is the consequence of unearned confidence meeting reality.

According to a study by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation 3.8 million people were destitute at some point last year, including more than a million children. Another stat to add to the Tories legacy. 

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

All ring road commuters need to make a Pret stop every couple of hours

• Like 1

It would be nice just to have the bins taken away at all. In Warrington we’ve had two weeks of strikes, followed by 4 days of activity during which they only took the black bins and now another two weeks of strikes. 

Our recycling bin is full and there’s only two of us (and a dog) so no idea how the average family is dealing with it. Oh and the green bin collections, of which we have to pay the council extra to collect, no idea when they’ll be taken next or whether we’ll see any kind of refund.

11 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It would be nice just to have the bins taken away at all. In Warrington we’ve had two weeks of strikes, followed by 4 days of activity during which they only took the black bins and now another two weeks of strikes. 

Our recycling bin is full and there’s only two of us (and a dog) so no idea how the average family is dealing with it. Oh and the green bin collections, of which we have to pay the council extra to collect, no idea when they’ll be taken next or whether we’ll see any kind of refund.

About time they made striking illegal, punishable by flogging. 

Â